• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonanza

Dec 15, 2008
    Peoples Republik of Maryland
    15 or so years ago my then father-in-law gave me a M1 Carbine that his father supposedly carried in WW2.
    My son turns 18 in a few days. Although he gave the M1 to me I know it was meant for my son, family heirloom kinda thing. Since I’m no longer in “his family” I want to give it to my son, the original users great grandson.
    I’ve read and re-read md firearms laws but can’t find as specific answer.
    I don’t want to “break” any laws and more importantly I don’t want to put my son in jail for my ignorance.
    Please point me to a law (I guess that the right word) that says at 18 he’s allowed to take posession.
    Thank you for your input.

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    Its a unregulated Long gun in Maryland, so you can just hand it to him. Since its been in the family so long, I doubt its even registered. Would be a shame if someone did

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Its a unregulated Long gun in Maryland, so you can just hand it to him. Since its been in the family so long, I doubt its even registered. Would be a shame if someone did

Long guns require transfer since March of this year- any FFL should be able to handle this for you.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

It better not be. Long guns (outside of those now prohibited for regular sale) were never registered in MD

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FYI, for him to inherit it, you would have to die.

It is a gift to a family member.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    There is one caveat, fly in the punch bowl, etc., PM sent (maybe that's what Dingo3 deleted).

Correct. That’s why I immediately deleted the comment as soon as i posted. not a lawyer and haven’t been in a holiday inn for a while and realized I’m out of my element on such things. Don’t want anyone running afoul of the law

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Definition of Immediate Family Member

§5–201.

(c) “Immediate family member” means a spouse, a parent, a stepparent, a grandparent, a stepgrandparent, an aunt, an uncle, a sibling, a stepsibling, a child, a stepchild, a grandchild, a stepgrandchild, a niece, or a nephew, as related by blood or marriage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom