• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Guys - I have never been much into "prepping". I never had much of a sense of urgency, until reading about the Carrington Effect, a huge solar flare. This event occurred in 1859. We also had a similar but much smaller scale event occur in 1989.

Simply put, it's a geomagnetic storm caused by the sun emitting a large solar coronal mass ejection that ends up charging the atmosphere all around the earth. This could zap all unprotected electronics and bring down power grids. The damage to the power grids could be so extensive as to take years to fully recover from (e.g. the much smaller 1989 event overloaded and blew out transformers and caused an enormous amount of damage). How extensive the damage to infrastructure would depend on the ability of government to see the warning (as there would be massive sunspot activity prior) and shut the power grids down. I have little confidence in the various governments here in the Americas (North or South) to do that very well. However, looks like North America would be hardest hit.

Even your red dot optics might be be zapped, although how extensive the damage to electronics seems to be an open question. Yet another reason to learn how to use iron sights. Another good question; what's the minimum time the power grid has to be shut even if we did act immediately? A week? Might be a good idea to have some food and water handy. Shield your important electronics. Maybe we should start a forum about this ;)

This is a nice explanation below. We can count on Biden and his collection of sage experts to to put measures in place in the upcoming infrastructure bill, right? You be the judge.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I believe Aimpoint and EOTech optics are hardened.
    This is something that could happen any time.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    More likely to affect long wires and larger coils than small stuff. You gotta know physics a little better to understand what goes on, its just not likely to affect small stuff.

I might as well go directly to the unpopular opinions thread.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    More likely to affect long wires and larger coils than small stuff. You gotta know physics a little better to understand what goes on, its just not likely to affect small stuff.

I might as well go directly to the unpopular opinions thread.

Is that why plugged in stuff fries? What about cars today?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    John Forsythe approves of this message.

240px-John_Forsythe_as_Blake_Carrington.png

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

So this is a good point; I would like to know what small devices were effected in the 1980 solar flare. And the answer may be damn few if any. Doe the calculus change if the solar flare is much bigger, like the one in 1859?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Oh stop! :) Seriously, we should get a handle on this. Open question; is it possible for a solar flare to fry red dots or is it unlikely or even impossible? I would like to know.

Basically any length of wire, including small wires on printed circuit boards can become an antenna and create a current capable of damaging microelectronics. The internal electronic components of devices can be shielded/hardened to reduce the chance that the components will not be damaged. However it depends on many factors like others have mentioned. How shielded is the device. How severe is the solar flare. I would speculate that most models are NOT protected enough.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Oh stop! :) Seriously, we should get a handle on this. Open question; is it possible for a solar flare to fry red dots or is it unlikely or even impossible? I would like to know.

That strikes me as very unlikely. The real damage comes from the long grid lines that have a huge electrical potential induced on them by the flare’s huge EM field. Like a huge tsunami getting sloshed into a canal. That creates enormous electrical pressure, much like channeled water pressure.

Those big lines, with some arcing, have a path to ground and the electricity wants to go there through every connected path. Like through your grid-connected hardware if you don’t have sacrificial isolators.

Your unhardened red dot sight does have circuit traces that can act like an antenna to a big EM pulse, but lacking ground, it’s not really at risk. But a lot is. Big, expensive, slow to replace infrastructure things.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    This. Also, circuit traces just a few mm long isn't going to be sensitive to EMPs
    with wavelengths a few km in length

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Your red dots may work but you might not be able to buy batteries for years. The effects of a major Carrington event has more to do with the disruption of the supply chain than individual pieces of equipment. If long distance communications is disrupted along with distribution systems and manufacturing capabilities we are so interconnected and global in nature that it will take a long time to recover. The effects could well be international in scope and the disruptions will probably trigger social unrest, particularly in the cities, that could make things a lot worse. Think about no food deliveries to any super markets for weeks or months. Refrigerated warehouses full of rotting food because of no power. Trucks with fried electronics. Drivers and store clerks staying home to protect their families. And Joe Biden in charge of the recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom