CDC restarts gun violence research; Director Walensky wants gun rights activists to b

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Sounds like a Support of "Stop and Frisk" and "Racial Profiling" ,,
    if it saves just one life,,
    Lets see what the Dems say on that one

Except, I expect them to drag out that hackneyed argument "...as long as it saves just one life..." at which point, it turns into a giant gun-grab mechanism. Remove every gun from the planet and people will find other ways to end their lives. It's not about the gun.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    We went down this path once before with Obama but, not understanding science, he didn’t phrase his question in a way that would benefit his agenda and consequently got exactly an answer he didn’t want. So he did what any democrat would do when they don’t get the answer they want, consign it to the dust bin and ignore it forever.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Or we could focus on making sure the statistics are collected and analyzed fairly. This should not be about ideology, but about science.

I suspect you're not unaware of the use and utility of statistics in the political sphere.

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”

― Mark Twain

Ignore and obfuscate the facts, and hire a liar to to misconstrue whatever's left.

Individual stupidity is the shaky basis of democracies. That's why our republic was formed, and why two centuries of political actors have worked successfully to neuter it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I suspect you're not unaware of the use and utility of statistics in the political sphere.

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”

― Mark Twain

Ignore and obfuscate the facts, and hire a liar to to misconstrue whatever's left.

Individual stupidity is the shaky basis of democracies. That's why our republic was formed, and why two centuries of political actors have worked successfully to neuter it.
    We are seeing the manipulation of statistics during COVID for sure. Like the people who keep posting memes that you are more likely to get sick and die if you are vaccinated. Of course, the raw data is available and tells an entirely different tale. It would still be good to have some of “us” in the middle of it.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Worldwide, the U.S. suicide rate isn't even in the top twenty (20) countries.

Only eight (8) countries, and one religion - Sharia law - guarantee the right to bear arms. Not a single one of them is even in the top ten.

The U.S. suicide rate is lower than many countries that don't guarantee the right to bear arms.

There is no correlation or causal link between the right to bear arms and suicides. People in other countries find other ways.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/suicide-rate-by-country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_keep_and_bear_arms

-------------------------

The facts are in, the research is done, but the facts don't support the faulty conclusions that the Biden Administration and CDC will pay someone to torture the data in an attempt to reach.

To whose attention should I direct my $500,000.00 bill to the CDC for compiling the above research and study? It's a bargain, compared to the millions that the Think Tanks will ultimately be paid to reach their opposite, dishonest conclusions.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Worldwide, the U.S. suicide rate isn't even in the top twenty (20) countries.

Only eight (8) countries, and one religion - Sharia law - guarantee the right to bear arms. Not a single one of them is even in the top ten.

The U.S. suicide rate is lower than many countries that don't guarantee the right to bear arms.

There is no correlation or causal link between the right to bear arms and suicides. People in other countries find other ways.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/suicide-rate-by-country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_keep_and_bear_arms

-------------------------

The facts are in, the research is done, but the facts don't support the faulty conclusions that the Biden Administration and CDC will pay someone to torture the data in an attempt to reach.

To whose attention should I direct my $500,000.00 bill to the CDC for compiling the above research and study? It's a bargain, compared to the millions that the Think Tanks will ultimately be paid to reach their opposite, dishonest conclusions.

When they banned guns in the UK, firearm suicides plummeted. Hooray!!!

The overall suicide rate was unchanged.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Bingo

Or we could focus on making sure the statistics are collected and analyzed fairly. This should not be about ideology, but about science. I am totally against violent crime. The roots of violent crime do not lie in firearm ownership.

100%. We have a major cultural issue.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    great so they're totally f-ing up covid and all the variants de jour, so let's take our focus off of stuff that is actually killing folks and stick our noses into something else that is clearly not medical disease.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    great so they're totally f-ing up covid and all the variants de jour, so let's take our focus off of stuff that is actually killing folks and stick our noses into something else that is clearly not medical disease.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disease

Merriam-Webster

disease noun

dis·​ease | \ di-ˈzēz
    \
    Definition of disease

1 : a condition of the living animal or plant body or of one of its parts that impairs normal functioning and is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms : sickness, malady infectious diseases a rare genetic disease heart disease
    2 : a harmful development (as in a social institution) sees the city's crime as a disease
    3 obsolete : trouble

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Or we could focus on making sure the statistics are collected and analyzed fairly. This should not be about ideology, but about science. I am totally against violent crime. The roots of violent crime do not lie in firearm ownership.

That's what I was going for. I just wasn't sure what the best way to do that would be other than ensuring the money is split up fairly. You can say non-partisan, but I know plenty of people who will make 10 criticisms of Republicans then 1 token criticism of Democrats and claim they are "non-partisan."

If I remember right, the last time the CDC did this, the results annoyed the left.

I agree with your point though that if the data is analyzed correctly, it will be good, and that's why I think the right missed the mark on this. I know people who won't listen to John Lott and will laugh in your face if you show them an NRA sponsored survey, but would believe a CDC survey.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    That's what I was going for. I just wasn't sure what the best way to do that would be other than ensuring the money is split up fairly. You can say non-partisan, but I know plenty of people who will make 10 criticisms of Republicans then 1 token criticism of Democrats and claim they are "non-partisan."

If I remember right, the last time the CDC did this, the results annoyed the left.

I agree with your point though that if the data is analyzed correctly, it will be good, and that's why I think the right missed the mark on this. I know people who won't listen to John Lott and will laugh in your face if you show them an NRA sponsored survey, but would believe a CDC survey.

Who would be the "peers" in a "peer-reviewed study" by the CDC, vs. one done by an industry or citizen group? Who pays for the study?

The game is rigged from the start. Like climate change or any other "progressive" (pronounced, "regressive") agenda.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Leftist political indoctrination in our schools and universities is a much larger, more lethal public health epidemic. It kills entire societies.

Researching and finding an effective way to combat that would actually be useful.

First they ban guns. This results in quelling the physical resistance.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Who would be the "peers" in a "peer-reviewed study" by the CDC, vs. one done by an industry or citizen group? Who pays for the study?

The game is rigged from the start. Like climate change or any other "progressive" (pronounced, "regressive") agenda.

I’ve been a peer reviewer for several studies. Never felt pressure. I gave some criticisms, though often once people are at the level of writing peer reviewed studies they know their shizzat.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I’ve been a peer reviewer for several studies. Never felt pressure. I gave some criticisms, though often once people are at the level of writing peer reviewed studies they know their shizzat.

Ditto. Peer review is usually double binded too so that the reviewer doesn't know who's work they are reviewing and the authors don't know who is reviewing their work. Typically means you can freely point out the flaws without worrying about stepping on toes or possible repercussions.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

I suspect that the percentage of medical professionals today that are pro-2A, or even unbiased going in is quite low. And, how are reviewers/reviews selected? Won't the Fauxists torture the data and interpretation of results -- after they initially frame their study issues and questions to favor the results they want?

Hope you're one of the peer reviewers of anything that comes of this, although you'd be a ringer.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

It hardly matters what the peer reviewed study concludes, especially if not definitive and conclusive. It will be misinterpreted and misreported by the media and advocacy groups to support their position.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that they wouldn't be pushing for it unless they already have the conclusions in mind, and want to collect/manufacture/massage the data to support them.

That's how they roll, and that's why it needs to be nipped in the bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom