• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    Hi all my aunt’s husband died recently and she wants to sell a pair of his revolvers from mid 80’s. Can she just sell them at an FFL? Or does she need to first have them transferred into her name. If so is there a form? Can an FFL do it? Does she need to bring a death certificate?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A couple of items to get out of the way :

Were the guns named in a written will , as to go to someone else ?

Is she the Personal Representative of the Estate ( aka executor ) either named in Will , or by default if intestate ?

If Intestate , are there any other legal issues or potential disputes ?

If the above is copestic , then yes , she may sell them .

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    No written will. Her husband had been declared legally incompetent several years ago (dimentia)

She is the executor of the estate and there is no contest for the guns. No one wants them they just want to dispose of them legally.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    If she is the executor she can sell them. There is a specific way she needs to sign and she will need some specific paperwork. I forget exactly what the forms are called but it just shows she is executer. I went through this with my fathers estate as I was executor.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I went through this on the buyer end. The seller showed the FFL her ID, death cert, and some paper that showed she was the executor. Personally, I am not sure all that was needed.
    You should call the FFL you want to use and ask.

What are they?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The imeadate above is the proper way . Simply her selling them as implied individual probably would be unquestioned 99.9% , but on MDS we strive to share the correct methods .

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    A couple of items to get out of the way :

Were the guns named in a written will , as to go to someone else ?

Is she the Personal Representative of the Estate ( aka executor ) either named in Will , or by default if intestate ?

If Intestate , are there any other legal issues or potential disputes ?

If the above is copestic , then yes , she may sell them .
    Sorry to piggy back this post, but in an effort to prevent spamming the boards with another post...

My cousin's father has a .22 rifle and a .357 revolver in his Maryland house. He is still alive, him and his wife now have dementia and are living in Florida.

Is there a process for my cousin to transfer those firearms to me? I don't want to make this too ugly, as he was otherwise going to let them get auctioned away with the house.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Sorry to piggy back this post, but in an effort to prevent spamming the boards with another post...

My cousin's father has a .22 rifle and a .357 revolver in his Maryland house. He is still alive, him and his wife now have dementia and are living in Florida.

Is there a process for my cousin to transfer those firearms to me? I don't want to make this too ugly, as he was otherwise going to let them get auctioned away with the house.

He could have given them to your cousin years ago, if so your cousin can just transfer them to you. I'd ask him if he got them before 1995? I think for the handgun, the rifle I'm sure he had before this April

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    He could have given them to your cousin years ago, if so your cousin can just transfer them to you. I'd ask him if he got them before 1995? I think for the handgun, the rifle I'm sure he had before this April
    Before 10/01/1996
    Thank you for replying.

It's entirely possible the guns have been in the state, *and* owned by him, *and* both my cousin and his father haven't moved states in that time - but assuming I cannot validate all three of those things with absolute certainty - is there still a route to get them?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thank you for replying.

It's entirely possible the guns have been in the state, *and* owned by him, *and* both my cousin and his father haven't moved states in that time - but assuming I cannot validate all three of those things with absolute certainty - is there still a route to get them?

There's nothing to validate. If your cousin says that his Father gave it to him pre 10/1/96 that's good enough. Face to face sales were Ok then. There would have no reason to get the state involved.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    There's nothing to validate. If your cousin says that his Father gave it to him pre 10/1/96 that's good enough. Face to face sales were Ok then. There would have no reason to get the state involved.
    But what if it's currently registered? The father could've bought it in '97, I have no way of validating that right now. I still might be unable to confirm this when I meet my cousin this weekend.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    But what if it's currently registered? The father could've bought it in '97, I have no way of validating that right now. I still might be unable to confirm this when I meet my cousin this weekend.

That makes it tricky. If he didn't own it prior to the cut off date then there's no way he gave it to your cousin before he owned it. If your cousin has power of attorney then he should be able to transfer it for his Father with no problem anyway.

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    I went through this on the buyer end. The seller showed the FFL her ID, death cert, and some paper that showed she was the executor. Personally, I am not sure all that was needed.
    You should call the FFL you want to use and ask.

What are they?

Thanks for this info! I’m not sure what they are I haven’t seen them and it took a lot of describing just to figure out they were revolvers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom