first time AR buyer. what is legal here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...om-upper-receiver-14-5in-5-56-prod136059.aspx

Here's a Daniel Defense 14.5in Socom upper that is MD legal. You would need to pin and weld an extended flash hider to it, but this is a good option for someone looking for a 14.5, M4 style upper. I had one pinned/welded for $60 at Duffy's.

My personal example is also mind blowingly accurate. Routinely sub MOA with good ammo. Shoots just as tight as my Criterion build which was not expected.

the DD Ris 2 rail is an absolute beast.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    The COLT M4A1 SOCOM is not banned. The Colt 6920 is banned.

Colt did a run on "M4" clone copies with heavy barrels and because they advertised the barrels as such, they are legal.

They are essentially M4 marked 6920's, but the verbiage in how they are described is what makes the difference.

Welcome to MD where gun laws follow absolutely no logic.

idk. The model listed in the classified listing is literally the same one listed on the website as banned. How would I even know I got the not banned one based on the box?

confusing AF. or a glowie trap. not sure.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    idk. The model listed in the classified listing is literally the same one listed on the website as banned. How would I even know I got the not banned one based on the box?

confusing AF. or a glowie trap. not sure.

The receiver says M4A1. It's good to go. Colt prob got lazy on the box markings.

It is in fact a 6920, but it's the M4A1 copy model, which they describe and market as heavy and is therefore legal.

I have personally seen dozens of these fly off the shelves and i know people that own several.

What it is NOT, though, is worth $3,000.

If you are confused, that means you are doing it right.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    My suggestion for a first AR is get yourself a Windham Weaponry AR.

They make a few maryland legal configurations and they are solid rifles.

If money is no object go find yourself an LWRC DI. They're made in MD to and are a top grade rifle. You can prob find one through LWRC direct if you are willing to take a drive.

Don't waste your time on these over inflated Colt M4 clones. Might be worth something as a collector but if you plan to shoot your rifle don't waste your money.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    The receiver says M4A1. It's good to go. Colt prob got lazy on the box markings.

It is in fact a 6920, but it's the M4A1 copy model, which they describe and market as heavy and is therefore legal.

I have personally seen dozens of these fly off the shelves and i know people that own several.

What it is NOT, though, is worth $3,000.

If you are confused, that means you are doing it right.

The upper is the illegal part (because it needs to be a hb and not have features), but the rifle is ok because the lower is marked. makes no sense. I could put that lower on anything. People in this state know shit about guns, i feel like if I was pulled over with that box i'd have a very bad day.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    If I am pulled over I will just say all my rifles identify as heavy, stop fat shaming me. Seems to make as much sense.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The upper is the illegal part (because it needs to be a hb and not have features), but the rifle is ok because the lower is marked. makes no sense. I could put that lower on anything. People in this state know shit about guns, i feel like if I was pulled over with that box i'd have a very bad day.

Prob not.

To date I am not sure of a single incident of anyone catching legal charges for a non compliant rifle.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone has though.

The upper is not the illegal part...

The upper does not have to be featureless - you can have a flash hider.

The upper is not legally considered a firearm.

The upper only once attached to a lower with a stock is considered a rifle.

You are going in circles at this point. I suggest you stop trying to make sense out of these illogical and stupid interpretations of law and stick to what you know.

Does the marketing material from the manufacturer say HBAR or Heavy barrel? Is the barrel 16 inches in length? Then you are good to go.

A few manufacturers that offer this are:

- Ruger
    -Delton
    -Colt (although you seem very confused on this)
    - LWRC
    -Palmetto State Armory has a few Heavy Barrel uppers
    - Windham Weaponry
    - Rock River Arms
    - Daniel Defense with their SOCOM Upper, offered on Brownells.

And safe to say any FFL in the state with AR pattern rifles will be good to go.

If you want a good rifle for under $1000, go Windham. Delton, PSA, and Ruger are all hobby grade. Free State up in Middle River sells a bunch of Windham.

And as others have said, support local. 90% of your issue is because you are trying to find something online. Most FFL's will have a selection of what you need. Call around.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I've transferred several of these to customers:
    Ruger AR-556 with Heavy Barrel

It's MD Compliant (except for the magazine which the FFL can't give you since it's over 10 rounds) but Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore will ship to a MD FFL.

This isn't "high end" but is a solid, name brand rifle in 5.56 NATO that allows shooting .223 Rem also.

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    PSA would not ship a lower to me in Maryland. Just before I moved to Georgia, the same lower was for sale for even less money and i ordered it while still in MD to ship to my FFL in Georgia. I have 4 of the PSA guns and they are ok. Actually shoot decent and run well. Just glad I don’t have to worry about configurations to make Maryland happy. Just saw Ruger EC9s on sale for $249 at PSA with free shipping.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    PSA would not ship a lower to me in Maryland. Just before I moved to Georgia, the same lower was for sale for even less money and i ordered it while still in MD to ship to my FFL in Georgia. I have 4 of the PSA guns and they are ok. Actually shoot decent and run well. Just glad I don’t have to worry about configurations to make Maryland happy. Just saw Ruger EC9s on sale for $249 at PSA with free shipping.

I think the issue with PSA is you need to select one of their preferred dealers, not any old dealer they have listed.

In the last year alone I’ve guided friends in ordering a half dozen or so lowers from PSA to Maryland FFL’s without issue. They’ve all been decent lowers as well.

PSA at one point had major QC issues, but those days are largely over. They are still hobby grade but their premium line is solid for the price. A simple rebuild to ensure proper spec is all it needs to be a solid rifle.

Ruger is much the same. Ruger receivers are actually excellent, but it’s the assembly of their complete rifles that tends to fall short.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I am currently talking to PSA about a complete rifle lower order that they don't want to ship to me (as an FFL-07/SOT). They are pointing to their policy. It is kinda strange since I've gotten stripped lowers and complete rifles from them with no issue. I see other dealers saying that they are able to place an order over the phone for these successfully. I'm inclined to just not deal with them since they are imposing additional "policies" above and beyond what the MD law says.

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    Mike, what part of MD are you located?

For your first ar, it may be a good idea to buy local. They can help you set it up properly and help you if you have problems. These are things that the internet sites can't help with.

If you're in central md, check out Tyler's or Hanover. If up north, J Lowe is a great option. I bought my Delton from him a while back.

Dec 29, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I tried ordering a complete lower from PSA and they cancelled my order, citing a 'policy' too. I ordered something similar from Primary Arms and they shipped it no problem. PSA is annoying about going above and beyond, and likely lost my business unless they have something I can't find elsewhere.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I tried ordering a complete lower from PSA and they cancelled my order, citing a 'policy' too. I ordered something similar from Primary Arms and they shipped it no problem. PSA is annoying about going above and beyond, and likely lost my business unless they have something I can't find elsewhere.

It prob has to do with the fact that a complete lower with a stock is considered a rifle, and therefore they choose not to dabble in crazy MD policy.

Stripped lowers are typically not an issue because they are registered as "other" and there are no major restrictions on AR pistols currently.

Dec 29, 2018
    Baltimore County
    It prob has to do with the fact that a complete lower with a stock is considered a rifle, and therefore they choose not to dabble in crazy MD policy.

Stripped lowers are typically not an issue because they are registered as "other" and there are no major restrictions on AR pistols currently.

No stock, just everything else installed. I claimed "other" in the 77r because I didn't have my HQL handy and everything went through fine.

Doug Hile

Aug 21, 2010
    bottom of St Marys
    looking to buy my first AR15 and went to get the cheapest one I can find. I went to a gun shop and their lowest priced one was a lot higher than what I've seen online. are either of these legal to buy here if I don't get the magazine with it? what spec other than the magazine capacity can I NOT have in MD? I know I could read MD laws, but I thought maybe someone could save me time and give me the cliff notes. Thanks in advance

https://www.classicfirearms.com/delton-dt-sport-m2-556-black/

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...er+ar556+556+161+black+6+position+stock+30+1+
    e167279aaa126b5f353290ca1b035849.jpg
    4dc1c1a6f11d283cc55f197af99c72c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
    They are ALL legal. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED That's What It Says.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    I have nothing relevant to add to the OPs original question.

I do however wonder if there is a market for a brand called "Banned Weapons".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom