• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major03

Ultimate Member
    Not new to reloading, but new to 9mm.

I've got some Accurate #5 that I usually use for .45ACP reloading, and I know that I could use it for 9mm...but I'm curious what other powders are folks reloading 9mm with.

Mixed headstamp brass, reloading for 124 gr. projectiles of various types (primarily Hornady XTP).

Of course, finding popular powder in stock is a whole other matter....

Thanks in advance for your thoughts / suggestions.

I've got some Accurate #5 that I usually use for .45ACP reloading, and I know that I could use it for 9mm...but I'm curious what other powders are folks reloading 9mm with.

Mixed headstamp brass, reloading for 124 gr. projectiles of various types (primarily Hornady XTP).

Check the barter thread. Broncolou (Parkton) is parting with a bunch of Unique for cheap.
    Personally, I use Longshot (Loudshot) for my 9x19 loads.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I've been using Hodgdon CFE Pistol (Copper Fouling Eraser) a ball powder flows really nice. I have used it with 9mm, .40 S&W Auto and 10mm. I do have Accurate #5. I haven't used it for 9mm, but it is probably good. The CFE is nice clean powder, very little smoke.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    For me: HP38/W231

It was because of availability of powder, availability of load data and the various calibers it could handle other than 9x19

I think this has been asked before.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I don't believe this is thread jacking but I'm just starting to seriously reload 9mm myself. I saw that the OP is also using mixed brass picked-up from the range. I'm having issues with my rounds not allowing the round to fully chamber. I'm using Lee presses. I just ordered the bulge buster. Will this remedy the problem?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't believe this is thread jacking but I'm just starting to seriously reload 9mm myself. I saw that the OP is also using mixed brass picked-up from the range. I'm having issues with my rounds not allowing the round to fully chamber. I'm using Lee presses. I just ordered the bulge buster. Will this remedy the problem?

pull your barrel out of gun and plunk test after doing a crimp with NO BULLET.
    Then you will know if its a bullet seating depth or the sizing of the case.
    If you like you can start with a case that has been fired.
    See if it will plunk/chamber
    Then size it,
    Check again
    You can try on a dummy round (no primer, no powder)
    Isolate your problem.

Yes, you can buy a round testing cartridge gauge.

Unless you KNOW you have a bulge, My bet is your not seating deep enough.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    pull your barrel out of gun and plunk test after doing a crimp with NO BULLET.
    Then you will know if its a bullet seating depth or the sizing of the case.
    If you like you can start with a case that has been fired.
    See if it will plunk/chamber
    Then size it,
    Check again
    You can try on a dummy round (no primer, no powder)
    Isolate your problem.

Yes, you can buy a round testing cartridge gauge.

Unless you KNOW you have a bulge, My bet is your not seating deep enough.
    I have a gauge. The rounds dont fit in the gauge. Searching the internet and recalling that Lee made a bulge buster is what me order the product. Ive not encountered it on the 40s&w . . . yet.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a gauge. The rounds dont fit in the gauge. Searching the internet and recalling that Lee made a bulge buster is what me order the product. Ive not encountered it on the 40s&w . . . yet.

If it won't fit after sizing, you have a problem. YUP

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have used a lot of brass picked up at the range with no issues at all. If it will not fit in the gauge, you might check the case length. Could need a little trim.

Range pickup brass all gets the same preparation which includes trimming, primer pocket reaming, and depth check before the first reloading. Haven't had to trim any since.

Might want to try a Lee factory crimp die as the last step on your round. It sizes the case again to insure the round will chamber.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    If it won't fit after sizing, you have a problem. YUP

I just acquired a full size firearm and have gained interest in the round. The only thing that I can think of is case bulging.

I have used a lot of brass picked up at the range with no issues at all. If it will not fit in the gauge, you might check the case length. Could need a little trim.

Range pickup brass all gets the same preparation which includes trimming, primer pocket reaming, and depth check before the first reloading. Haven't had to trim any since.

Might want to try a Lee factory crimp die as the last step on your round. It sizes the case again to insure the round will chamber.

I have a factory crimp die. Im going back over and readjusting the dies. I was posting this information for a "fresh set of eyes" I how I maybe be overlooking something.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've been using Hodgdon CFE Pistol (Copper Fouling Eraser) a ball powder flows really nice. I have used it with 9mm, .40 S&W Auto and 10mm. I do have Accurate #5. I haven't used it for 9mm, but it is probably good. The CFE is nice clean powder, very little smoke.

I use CFE pistol for most thing. Works good for a clean middle of the road powder, meters well, decent velocity, seems happy with light or heavy loads. It won't replace some other powders for top velocities or some calibers, but is great for most service calibers.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    To the OP’s original post, I’m primarily using W231 and I have some shotgun powders. I have some Titewad, Ramshot Competition and Nitro 100 that can also be be use in some pistols.I’m not sure how well at the moment. I haven’t tried any of them yet as I’m returning to the reloading handgun stuff again.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I have been using Accurate #5 for 9x19 just because I acquired 2 lbs in a trade and want to finish it up.

I have uses Unique in the past but find it dirty. My current go to is Sport Pistol. It meters well in my Dillon and I can use it in more than one caliber.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    9mm x 124 Grain Berry's Brass Coated Flat Point Bullets...

Winchester Small Pistol Primers...

Used 9mm x 19 Range Brass, Cleaned & Polished...

4.2 Grains Win 231, .378 / .379 Dia Crimp x 1.090 Overall Length...

Fired out of a Sprinfield "Loaded" SS stock 1911 (and other pistols)...

Accurate, ZERO problems...

Loaded on a Dillon RL 550 B with Dillon Dies...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another vote of 231/HP38

Works well.

I use mainly range pick up brass. I clean, size and load. If mil, I set aside, until I have enough to both swaging. But mostly I use commercial brass.

As has been pointed out, you need to go step by step. Plunk or gauge before sizing, after sizing, then after bullet seating. I suspect you are not seating deep enough.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Thanks everyone for the powder advice! Now to find any of those options in stock lol.

PS, for the record I did do a search and went 4 pages in for recommended 9mm powders and didn't see anything specific. This was super helpful, so thanks for those who took the time to reply.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I see that post two mentions somebody has Unique for very reasonable. I’d jump on that. Very good 9x19 powder. Fills the case so pretty much impossible to double charge.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.

My notes from years ago are that 6.2gr of AA #7 is good starting load and 6.9gr is max using ww-wsp and speer 124gn fmj

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom