• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Is it crazy for me to ask how an AR upper can be manufactured and sold for $50-100,, yet a simpler G19 slide is $200 +,, That is all I was wondering.
    It was a legit question,, I am holding both in my hands and seriously wondering why the slide is 2-3X the price of an AR upper,, .

I am not sure why you think AR uppers are more complex than a Glock slide. They aren't. The biggest reason is that steel is a lot more difficult to machine than aluminum, and takes more time. Furthermore, the small cuts in a Glock slide (firing pin hole, extractor cut, cocking serrations, sight cuts, rail cuts) all require a tool change.

AR uppers, especially forged uppers, are pretty easy to machine. After the forging process, a couple holes are drilled for the dust cover and pin, and threads are cut for the barrel nut and then it is anodized.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not saying that Glock Slides are equivalent to 1911 slides , but that's the other pistol platform that has a proliferation of aftermarket sources .

Made in USA quality CNC :

Stripped slides - aprox $300- 375
    ( more or less stock configuration , custom serriations , optic mounting , etc is and up )

Made in Philippines , generic cast :

Stripped slides - aprox $139- 179
    Complete parts kits ( generic GI- ish , standard configuration parts. - aprox $275- 325 . And up for upgraded parts .

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Not saying that Glock Slides are equivalent to 1911 slides , but that's the other pistol platform that has a proliferation of aftermarket sources .

Made in USA quality CNC :

Stripped slides - aprox $300- 375
    ( more or less stock configuration , custom serriations , optic mounting , etc is and up )

Made in Philippines , generic cast :

Stripped slides - aprox $139- 179
    Complete parts kits ( generic GI- ish , standard configuration parts. - aprox $275- 325 . And up for upgraded parts .

what is your point?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    The Nation's Gun Show hopefully is actually happening at the beginning of October.

Perhaps go to the Introductions forum and post up about yourself, so we can you know better.

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

It looks like you are posting one thing after another that says very little, which is often the the hallmark of someone looking to sell things in the classifieds.

We are fairly good bunch of men and women, though a bit suspicious at times.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Iron Maiden approves

Perhaps go to the Introductions forum and post up about yourself, so we can you know better.

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

It looks like you are posting one thing after another that says very little, which is often the the hallmark of someone looking to sell things in the classifieds.

We are fairly good bunch of men and women, though a bit suspicious at times.

Number Six: Where am I?
    Number Two (not identified as yet): In the village.
    Six: What do you want?
    Two: Information.
    Six: Whose side are you on?
    Two: That would be telling. We want information...information... information!!!
    Six: You won't get it!
    Two: By hook or by crook, we will.
    Six: Who are you?
    Two: The new Number Two.
    Six: Who is Number One?
    Two: You are Number Six.
    Six (running on the Village's beach): I am not a number; I am a free man!!!
    Two: [Laughter]

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My point was to show that for a made in USA machined pistol slide , $300 plus is typical , and it takes third world mass production to get price down by half- ish .

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Boat and BF44,, thanks for your insight and shedding some info on my original question.
    I had not considered the difference between milling Steel vs Alum.

I still think demand is the predominant factor?
    Curious,, as I was not involved in Glocks prior to 2019-2020,, what did a typical generic G19 clone COMPLETE slide sell for previous?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Boat and BF44,, thanks for your insight and shedding some info on my original question.

Curious,, as I was not involved in Glocks prior to 2019-2020,, what did a typical generic G19 clone COMPLETE slide sell for previous?

Not too much different than now. The best deal i ever saw on slides was a brownells 19 bare slide on sale for 145 and it came with a $20 gift card. that was during a 2018 christmas special.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

About the same, maybe a little cheaper, but. not much

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For a random firearm , not in any particular demand , there is a marketplace of used parts , just like for used auto parts . Think of recent threads of XYZ vehicle needs an engine, with discussion of junkyard vs reman vs oem engines at different price points . Gun Part Houses routinely include in their advertisements or websites " we buy broken guns " , or LGS that take in estates or bulk purchases that include low value / low demand firearms , or might need work to be saleable , could them wholesale them to a parts house to get a couple bucks back out, and not be bothered .

Parts house could then price parts with cost basis of their their cost plus a profit , not necessarily the manufacturing cost of a replacement .

But that wouldn't apply to guns/ parts in high demand . Think Glocks and 1911 , popular for either 80% completions ,or popular for modifying . Or guns out of production , with limited factory parts support , but still popular for actual shooting or restoring . Think long action S&W , pre- war Colt, classic Hi Standard pistols, etc .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Capitalism baby! When prices get so high that people refuse to pay, inventory builds up. Once that happens, prices will drop. Supply and demand. Look at P80 frame kits. When they were in very high demand, inventories dropped and prices went back up to MSRPs($140+). Now, if you're paying more than $120(I wouldn't pay that much), you aren't shopping hard enough.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    You should see what used 18C slide and barrel go for! Cheaper to make my own.

Attachments

• F2F6A5C5-B035-4EC9-87A0-C3D727B158A0.jpg
      F2F6A5C5-B035-4EC9-87A0-C3D727B158A0.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 133

lumbermut

May 2, 2013
    Timonium, MD
    I agree that you need to shop around and pay attention to holiday sales. I just received G26 slide with barrel for $183 from US Patriot Armory (now sold out) that was on Labor Day sale. Yes, I know it's not OEM. I hoping that it will fit/finish fine.

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    I agree that you need to shop around and pay attention to holiday sales. I just received G26 slide with barrel for $183 from US Patriot Armory (now sold out) that was on Labor Day sale. Yes, I know it's not OEM. I hoping that it will fit/finish fine.

What about something like this:

https://midstatefirearms.com/G17-Gl...ront-Rear-serrations-gen3-FDE-g17-rmr-FDE.htm

They have a few different slides - 19, 17, 26 - the prices look decent, between $157-$199. Anyone use them before?

lumbermut

May 2, 2013
    Timonium, MD
    What about something like this:

https://midstatefirearms.com/G17-Gl...ront-Rear-serrations-gen3-FDE-g17-rmr-FDE.htm

They have a few different slides - 19, 17, 26 - the prices look decent, between $157-$199. Anyone use them before?

I don't know anything about that company. I took outrider58's recommendation on another thread and began to research/follow marinegunbuilder.com
    They post what companies seem to be go to go and which companies they have problems with.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I hate you :mad54:

That would have been perfect,, guess I should learn to use that internet thing better

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Do you have a link for the item you purchased? was it just a slide and seperate barrel? or complete upper/slide?

Side note,, the have billet AR15 lowers with integral trigger guard for $59.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I've built several of their complete kits(back when they were selling them) and had no major problems with them.

For anyone trying a P80 type build for the first time, be aware that these are not drill a couple holes-slap it all together deals. Even with all OEM Glock guts, you are still sticking them into non-Glock frames. There is a bit of fitting needed and there are right ways and wrong ways in which to carry out these tasks.

Always start here with this guy. Subscribe to his feeds and blogs...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcjXVdZEeD89PTNYkMNzKww

lumbermut

May 2, 2013
    Timonium, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads