• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Congrats...sweet gun.

Is the trigger aftermarket? It looks newer to me.

I assume the rails needed to be installed by a 'smith back in the day. I can't imagine Remington would have had pre-tapped for that front rail.

Thanks. Trigger is stock, has a trigger shoe on it which was a common add on for target rifles back then.
    Winchester factory drilled and tapped the varmint and target rifles for multiple scope and sight options, most of the varmints came with the Unertl blocks as it was considered the scope for the time.
    Rifle is also tapped for modern scope mount and tapped for Redfield micrometer sights.

Last edited:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Finally got to spend some time at the range today, looks like it will be a shooter, tried a few different weight bullets and looks like its liking the 75 to 100 grain more than the 58.
    First time I've had a 2" Unertl and this scope is amazingly clear, bright and crisp. Target is a 100 yard 10 shot group with a 75 grain Hornady Vmax, a 100 grain Hornady did not do bad also, with proper load development should be around 1/2 moa rifle, not bad for its age.

Attachments

• IMG_0980.jpg
      IMG_0980.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 92
    • IMG_0978.jpg
      IMG_0978.jpg
      104.5 KB · Views: 92
    Last edited:

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Beautiful gun and good shooting. I bet that thing would be close to a clover leaf with a 85 Sierra HP or 87 vmax. Around 43 grains of IMR 4831. Never seen a 243 that won’t group that. Been shooting that load for many years and never found anything better. Thanks for sharing the update.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Beautiful gun and good shooting. I bet that thing would be close to a clover leaf with a 85 Sierra HP or 87 vmax. Around 43 grains of IMR 4831. Never seen a 243 that won’t group that. Been shooting that load for many years and never found anything better. Thanks for sharing the update.

Thanks, would like try that weight bullet but a variety of bullets are damn near impossible to find right now.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Thanks. Trigger is stock, has a trigger shoe on it which was a common add on for target rifles back then.
    Winchester factory drilled and tapped the varmint and target rifles for multiple scope and sight options, most of the varmints came with the Unertl blocks as it was considered the scope for the time.
    Rifle is also tapped for modern scope mount and tapped for Redfield micrometer sights.

Yes, that's nice, I'm glad you're enjoying it. They also had a target grade factory trigger usually marked with a T or TARGET. I'm thinking I should have bought it then I laugh at myself. I have a 300 Bull Gun that's equally as nice waiting on my love. I had a bunch of old 70's I never shot but I really want to get the 300 H&H going.
    There was a Vietnam sniper story I recall where the soldier had a Winchester 70 in 30-06 I think with a Unertl. He kept a box of spiders and would use the spider webs to rebuild the reticle himself once and awhile. Enjoy!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Just saw this post for the first time. What a beautiful rifle. I have some 6mm Berger projectiles I was going to load up for my .243 but decided to sell it. If you are interested in projectiles I have a few boxes of varying weights. PM me for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom