• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Serious question - is 6160 better than polymer?

The hardness (wear and creep resistance), tensile strength and fatigue resistance of 6061 is significantly higher than any injection-molded thermopolymer or thermoset I can think of. The only way to even come close would be fiber-reinforced composites, and even those wouldn't have the wear resistance of 6061.

Polymer lowers are for when nothing else is available.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    The hardness (wear and creep resistance), tensile strength and fatigue resistance of 6061 is significantly higher than any injection-molded thermopolymer or thermoset I can think of. The only way to even come close would be fiber-reinforced composites, and even those wouldn't have the wear resistance of 6061.

Polymer lowers are for when nothing else is available.

Thanks, makes perfect sense.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    6061 is fine. In an AR platform, all of the sliding wear is on the upper, and all of the percussive forces are between the barrel and the locking-lugs on the bolt. The biggie for the lower is that it has to put up with the recoil forces imposed on the buffer by the bolt carrier travel - which resolve as "tension" between the buffer tower and the upper/lower pins, as well as a weird bowing torque imposed because the tower is raised above the axis of the pin holes.

As for US Patriot Armory, I can neither confirm nor deny that the machining quality of their 80% 1911 inert-objects is pretty damned good ... in all likelihood that quality would be seen in their AR-like objects.

Attachments

• 20210917_134345.jpg
      20210917_134345.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 154
    • 20210917_134559.jpg
      20210917_134559.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 153

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    question

6061 is fine. In an AR platform, all of the sliding wear is on the upper, and all of the percussive forces are between the barrel and the locking-lugs on the bolt. The biggie for the lower is that it has to put up with the recoil forces imposed on the buffer by the bolt carrier travel - which resolve as "tension" between the buffer tower and the upper/lower pins, as well as a weird bowing torque imposed because the tower is raised above the axis of the pin holes.

As for US Patriot Armory, I can neither confirm nor deny that the machining quality of their 80% 1911 inert-objects is pretty damned good ... in all likelihood that quality would be seen in their AR-like objects.

pretty good quality photoshopping of that 1911 lower into your picture :)

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    pretty good quality photoshopping of that 1911 lower into your picture :)
    Yes, well, I've had some practice.
    Thanks for sharing I might just grab one to stash
    I will note that Sarco has some 9mm and 45 parts kits in-stock for reasonable amounts of money. Might be prudent to have all the necessary materials in one location.

Edit - damn, the 45 kit is OOS already.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    6061 is fine. I have a 9mm AR lower from DDLES (now defunct). Lots of rounds through it. Still fine.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yeah I was just wondering how many people here actually run the kind of numbers to wear down part specs and build their own weapons.
    I’ll probably grab one thanks OP.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is a blem prototype, but it serves as a fit-check. (h/t to Dr. T)

Lol. Thanks!!! Love the grips. Still gotta get my slide to a smith to do the Glock serrations and fit the barrel bushing. Then I’ll be set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom