• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CallMeIshmael

New Shooter
    Dec 25, 2010
    HoCo
    I was somewhat disappointed when I went to Gilbert for the first time. So far I have been to On Target in Odenton, and Maryland Small Arms range in Upper Marlboro. On target is half hourly for the lane, but it's usually not that packed. MSAR can have a ridiculous wait time but it is unlimited.

Jumping over to Gilbert, I was disappointed that it did not matter if you owned your own firearms or not, you had to purchase their ammo, no exceptions!!!!!!!!!! On top of that, had to pay $30 per person for using the range this time plus two other timers during the week. Using only a 22lr pistol I owned cost me close to $100 to shoot with a friend.
    On the plus side, I was able to see the guns that they did not have for sale cause they didn't get their FFL back yet.

paradox

Oct 20, 2010
    MoCo
    Using only a 22lr pistol I owned cost me close to $100 to shoot with a friend.

Yep, that's pretty much why I don't go there when I want to go to an indoor range. I guess their way of operating must work since they are still in business but that's just too expensive for me.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Another Squid! Maybe we'll have a majority soon.

We do have a majority. Just that we're quiet and in the shadows ready to pounce on these midgets. 2012 will seem like a picnic when the squids revolt. The only thing that will stop the revolt will be the return of Cthulhu.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I went to Gilbert's once. Saw the prices on ammo and turned around and left.

I go to the NRA range in Fairfax off 66. Beautiful facility Bring your own ammo or buy theirs, which is very reasonable. They sell targets as well. 15 lanes, elec. target system. Great RO's.

You have to take a short easy written safety test.

14 dollars an hour for NRA members or 18 an hour for non members.

Highly recommended

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    We do have a majority. Just that we're quiet and in the shadows ready to pounce on these midgets. 2012 will seem like a picnic when the squids revolt. The only thing that will stop the revolt will be the return of Cthulhu.

Cthulhu-o hai.jpg

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    I was somewhat disappointed when I went to Gilbert for the first time. So far I have been to On Target in Odenton, and Maryland Small Arms range in Upper Marlboro. On target is half hourly for the lane, but it's usually not that packed. MSAR can have a ridiculous wait time but it is unlimited.

Jumping over to Gilbert, I was disappointed that it did not matter if you owned your own firearms or not, you had to purchase their ammo, no exceptions!!!!!!!!!! On top of that, had to pay $30 per person for using the range this time plus two other timers during the week. Using only a 22lr pistol I owned cost me close to $100 to shoot with a friend.
    On the plus side, I was able to see the guns that they did not have for sale cause they didn't get their FFL back yet.

Take a drive up to Harford County in the 21085 zip and shoot with me for free on a small outdoor range.

Cost: gas to get there.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Welcome to the madness.

;)

I've never even heard of Gilbert, and I'm certainly not sweating it now!!

I go to On Target almost exclusively, and the wife and I joined as members. Good staff, great selection, and as you noted almost never a wait (16 lanes).

Re: Cthulu... My son just separated from the Navy. Do I get a key to the safehouse too??!

parashootman

Dec 7, 2007
    I live within walking distance from Gilbet and won't shoot there ether. The only way they were allowed to open was to cut a deal with the Montgomery Co. Gov.
    You must buy ammo form them or the range can't open.
    Well another win for the antis.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    I live within walking distance from Gilbet and won't shoot there ether. The only way they were allowed to open was to cut a deal with the Montgomery Co. Gov.
    You must buy ammo form them or the range can't open.
    Well another win for the antis.

Its one thing to require you to buy ammo on-site, its another thing to charge 50% over Bass-pro retail for ammo....thats not the government thats just plain price gouging.

Given the past history of the FFL side of the business, http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4183/is_20090518/ai_n31864728/ I doubt they will be getting an FFL back anytime soon

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Gilbert's gives Maryland ranges a bad name. Ammo prices are straight-up extortion with mark-up going as high as 100%. Most of the staff is rude too, even if you're a regular and follow all the rules. I was a member here for about a year before I learned how bad this place is.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That is exactly the feeling I got when I went there, Rude, juvenile kids working there. Outrageous ammo prices

There are better alternatives. Can you say NRA Range?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    The NRA range is the best indoor range I have ever been to.

Seconded. I live too far away to go there with any regularity, but it really is a fantastic (albeit super-crowded in my experience) facility. They let me shoot my freakin' M44 there - how cool is that? (ridiculous, I know, but still) I still have the little laminated 'guest card' or whatever it is in the hopes that I'll make it back there someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom