Benefits of Utah vs Florida non-resident permits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    High, fairly new and wondering what is the great benefit of the Utah NRP vs the Florida?
    If you obtain a Utah permit, Florida does not recognize it, but Utah recognizes Florida's. At least that's the way it was shown on the USA Carry Map of reciprocating states.
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_information.html
    Are the Utah ones just easier to obtain, or cheaper, or what?

My dad lives in Florida, and the only state between here and there that doesn't participate is South Carolina. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a SC NRP? Would you have to disarm, and store your CCW as you drive through that one state?
    Just don't know if it's worth it to get the Utah permit, if I will have to get the Florida also for when I visit pops.
    Thanks for any input

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    This has been rehashed many times here. The short answer is that both permits have their benefits and drawbacks. One lasts longer, another is cheaper, etc. Try doing a search and you should be able to follow along.

I personally like the Utah one better, but we offer the training for the Florida permit too if that's someone's cup of tea.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I have both... I travel to Florida quite a bit every year and I can not carry with a Utah Permit there as I am not a Utah resident.

I jumped the gun and got the Utah first, but since most of my travel is on the east coast I could get away with the Florida permit and not need the Utah permit.

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    Searched Utah CCW permit, but very scattered results. If you have any links or search suggestions they would be great. I'll try Utah vs Florida permits, any others?

go to search > advanced search > type "florida utah" without quotes in the search bar, and beneath the keyword bar there's a drop down menu. Select "titles only"

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    This has been rehashed many times here. The short answer is that both permits have their benefits and drawbacks. One lasts longer, another is cheaper, etc. Try doing a search and you should be able to follow along.

I personally like the Utah one better, but we offer the training for the Florida permit too if that's someone's cup of tea.

Get Utah, then if you decide to get Florida, you can use Utah training cert. without the need for additional training.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    florida ccw accepts hunter ed

Hunter ed qualifies for training for the Florida permit. I don't know if there is a cost for hunter ed now, but it is probably minimal if there is a cost. Check the DNR web site.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Get Utah, then if you decide to get Florida, you can use Utah training cert. without the need for additional training.

Except that Florida requires a live fire demo by the same instructor who taught the Utah course. Utah doesnt require live fire for its permit.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County

You need "Live Fire Training" to obtain a Florida permit. They no longer honor the Utah certificate w/o proof of live fire training.

Darn, Jim beat me too it!

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Searched Utah CCW permit, but very scattered results. If you have any links or search suggestions they would be great. I'll try Utah vs Florida permits, any others?

Utah's permit fee is cheaper than Florida, but Utah requires a specific course taught by a Utah certified instructor. You can then use the Utah cert to apply for Florida, provided that you get the additional live fire requirement required by Florida.

Utah's permit is good for 5 yrs., Florida's is 7 years.

Utah doesnt require live fire, Florida does.

Anyone can do prints for Utah's permit, Florida requires prints by a law enforcement agency.

Just a few of the differences.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Except that Florida requires a live fire demo by the same instructor who taught the Utah course. Utah doesnt require live fire for its permit.

Unless they have changed the requirements in the past year, live fire demo is not required.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    If you want to carry in FL they will not accept a non-resident Utah at least that's what I recall reading. Someone tell me if I am right or wrong on this.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    High, fairly new and wondering what is the great benefit of the Utah NRP vs the Florida?
    If you obtain a Utah permit, Florida does not recognize it, but Utah recognizes Florida's. At least that's the way it was shown on the USA Carry Map of reciprocating states.
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_information.html
    Are the Utah ones just easier to obtain, or cheaper, or what?

My dad lives in Florida, and the only state between here and there that doesn't participate is South Carolina. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a SC NRP? Would you have to disarm, and store your CCW as you drive through that one state?
    Just don't know if it's worth it to get the Utah permit, if I will have to get the Florida also for when I visit pops.
    Thanks for any input

South Carolina will only issue their non-resident permit to you if you can prove that you own property in that state (Assessor must sign a form) or you are in the Military and stationed within the state.

In South Carolina it is legal to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle (glove box or console) so when I pass through that state, that is where I place and keep my loaded handgun until I reach the next state border.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

BUT if you are spending the night and can show you paid the South Carolina room tax for your motel/hotel room, your receipt is like a concealed carry permit to carry your loaded handgun between your vehicle and your room (and yes, I have done this, including carrying concealed among the various places within the motel/hotel I was staying).

SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.

Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom