• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Just a dumb question...why the big run on bottled water? Not like we’re getting hit by an EMP and the grid going down. I’m on septic and well. I plan the same as I have the Past 30 years. Have plenty of bottled water to flush with or drink but I can’t understand the run.

People have to work in the water treatment plants to give you clean drinking water. If they are quarantined and can't get to work, they can't make clean water for you to drink. It's a stretch maybe, but everyone should have plenty of water stashed away anyway so I think it's a good thing.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    People worried the whole system might go down, if enough people become sick. Yeah, it's a bit silly, IMHO.

I'll give you more silly... in Korea, you're supposed to flush the toilet with the seat down... because your toilet sneezes at you. Then they start talking about that testing done by the TV show Mythbusters.

1. The people in Nashville now know that anything can happen at any time. While I don't think the virus will hit like a tornado I do think it could hammer us very hard and very fast. There's a firehouse on quarantine in Washington state. That could just as easily be a water treatment plant or power plant.

2. Urine and fecal matter can be aerosolized through flushing as well as those stupid air dryers for your hand. Public restrooms are always a crapshoot. Much more so when there's a pandemic

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Just listened to an update. Water pressure is down in Tehran, presumably due to the increase in washing.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sewage is a great way to survey viruses in a community - but more for one lurking in the background during the tail end of an eradication effort. Polio is still sometimes surveilled in the third world this way. Similarly, monkey sh1t was harvested in West and Central African jungles to give us a picture of how HIV adapted in gorillas and chimpanzees before jumping to humans. Much easier than getting a blood sample from a large nonhuman primate.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sewage is a great way to survey viruses in a community - but more for one lurking in the background during the tail end of an eradication effort. Polio is still sometimes surveilled in the third world this way. Similarly, monkey sh1t was harvested in West and Central African jungles to give us a picture of how HIV adapted in gorillas and chimpanzees before jumping to humans. Much easier than getting a blood sample from a large nonhuman primate.

I attended a Trout Unlimited meeting where a DNR guy was talking and its fascinating how fish are affected by drugs and whatnot dumped down the toilet. The hormonal effects are severe and really kinda gross.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    People have to work in the water treatment plants to give you clean drinking water. If they are quarantined and can't get to work, they can't make clean water for you to drink. It's a stretch maybe, but everyone should have plenty of water stashed away anyway so I think it's a good thing.
    The military / National Guard would be manning those plants long before the government would let them shut down. I don't trust the federal government for much, but even they know that losing water and power isn't an option. Otherwise, it's SHTF scenario time, and all the rules go right out the window.

My big concern is being stuck at home and the stores either being closed or unsafe to go to. So I am focused on food, meds, ammo, etc. Water is a distant priority on that list.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The military / National Guard would be manning those plants long before the government would let them shut down. I don't trust the federal government for much, but even they know that losing water and power isn't an option. Otherwise, it's SHTF scenario time, and all the rules go right out the window.

My big concern is being stuck at home and the stores either being closed or unsafe to go to. So I am focused on food, meds, ammo, etc. Water is a distant priority on that list.

:thumbsup:

Most water and sewage jobs can probably be performed in a MOP suit. Not easily, but they can be done.

If they ignore the sewer systems, they will overflow into the surrounding waterways... spreading the virus.

If they ignore the fresh water systems, they will end up with people roaming about looking for water, drinking from questionable waterways, etc.

The water systems will probably be the last systems the .gov/.mil will let go south. Power is a close second.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Even still, went back to Costco Wheaton mid-day today to grab organic brown rice (not to stock up, but rather our costco membership expires soon haha) - all the normal water was gone (plenty of seltzer and smart water). No rice of any sort - also plenty of quinoa so got that.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Even still, went back to Costco Wheaton mid-day today to grab organic brown rice (not to stock up, but rather our costco membership expires soon haha) - all the normal water was gone (plenty of seltzer and smart water). No rice of any sort - also plenty of quinoa so got that.

Sams in Laurel was loaded yesterday with everything except hand sanitizer and vitamin C.
    Everything else from beans to bleach was available in quantity.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    CDC Updating more regularly now

This page will be updated regularly at noon Mondays through Fridays. Numbers close out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting.

Attachments

• CDC as of 03.03.2020.jpg
      CDC as of 03.03.2020.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 295

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    :. ...

If they ignore the sewer systems, they will overflow into the surrounding waterways... spreading the virus.

A backed up city sewer system keeps me up at night. If the power goes out for any length of time, those sewage pumps could go out. Imagine houses becoming uninhabitable because of sewage backing up.

No check valve in my house.

Seems like a good reason to have a septic system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Looks like MD now supplying Stats

Website doesn't say how often they will update the info.

This is a rapidly evolving situation and the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) will provide updates as they become available.

COVID-19 Testing and Confirmed Case Counts in Maryland
    Number of patients tested for COVID-19: 13
    Number of COVID-19 tests pending: 7
    Number of negative COVID-19 tests: 6
    Number of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases: 0 ​

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    A backed up city sewer system keeps me up at night. If the power goes out for any length of time, those sewage pumps could go out. Imagine houses becoming uninhabitable because of sewage backing up.

No check valve in my house.

Seems like a good reason to have a septic system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sh!t rolls downhill and I'm at one of the highest elevations in the Denver metro area. I should be OK.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The wife finally bought in on my prepping/paranoia and picked up a couple things herself. Very proud!

My in-laws were at Wheaton Costco on Sunday, and I interrogated them about their purchases over dinner.

"Did you buy any bulk rice? Or anything? Quarantines could be coming soon."
    "We have four pounds of rice at home, maybe we'll get some next time we go."

If that's indicative of the level of planning people in general have, a lengthy mandatory quarantine with store closures is going to be an utter disaster. People don't understand that shopping AFTER a mandatory quarantine is declared isn't a viable plan. The stores will either be mad houses or they'll be closed.

Granted, I've got two kids and a spouse to think about, but two pounds of rice is eight cups of rice. It goes a ways with two people, but not THAT far.

TreadNot

May 11, 2012
    Bel Air
    Wife stopped by the Bel Air Dollar Tree today. Cashier said just two customers yesterday bought 300 bottles of hand sanitizer, and now there is none. She also said there were lots of empty gaps in the shelves of who knows what items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom