• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Last night. The Costco at pentagon city was very crowded . People were acting like idiots, panic buying all the essentials.
    I feel like a damned prophet for hitting Costco on Feb 25 to stock up on the big essentials. Unfortunately, being three weeks ahead of everyone else on prepping means you always look like a Cassandra, not an Ezekiel.

BrianinMd

Feb 16, 2008
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Preparing......

I saw a guy at Giant last night buying 4 carts full of water and all of the hand sanitizer they had on the shelf. People are going nuts.

I can understand going out and buying the things you need, but, “stocking up” is a little crazy. Buying enough for a few days or to keep a small stock of something is fine. People that buy cart fulls of goods with not much regard to others should think twice. Isn’t this one of the main reasons people get worried about this? Isn’t this another reason why these “panics” start? And now, how long will this last? Granted, some people may get very sick, but, does it need to be blown out of proportion?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Some of those dudes are just doing it to price gouge. You want to do that on "wants", fine, but no one's going to convince me it's morally reprehensible to do that on "needs".

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    You know what prevents people from hoarding chit they probably won’t need? Price gouging. Retailers should be raising prices on items that are selling out but they’re not going to.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I told my wife last night that the world now knows what we went through back in 13 when we tried to buy ammo except this time its TP, lol

Aside from TP.... If you've got a good supply of paper towels and facial tissue, you're all set...

I might have to cut back on wiping my pie hole, or blowing my nose, but in difficult times you gotta adapt... :lol2:

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    You know what prevents people from hoarding chit they probably won’t need? Price gouging. Retailers should be raising prices on items that are selling out but they’re not going to.

Why is this (retailers raising prices) a good idea?

If people want to buy a whole bunch of shit, they should be able to. It’s no different than buying in bulk once a year...if you’re mad you can’t buy toilet paper now because you didn’t plan accordingly, then maybe you should’ve planned accordingly...

It’s capitalism.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County

If people want to buy a whole bunch of shit, they should be able to. It’s no different than buying in bulk once a year...if you’re mad you can’t buy toilet paper now because you didn’t plan accordingly, then maybe you should’ve planned accordingly...

It’s capitalism.

Also, with retailers raising the prices, why should they get all that extra money?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

It’s capitalism.

No hoss, capitalism is raising prices to meet demand. The reason shit is selling out is because the demand has greatly increased and the price has not risen to match.

If people want to hoard shit at fair market prices, yes they should be able to.

I can understand going out and buying the things you need, but, “stocking up” is a little crazy. Buying enough for a few days or to keep a small stock of something is fine. People that buy cart fulls of goods with not much regard to others should think twice. Isn’t this one of the main reasons people get worried about this? Isn’t this another reason why these “panics” start? And now, how long will this last? Granted, some people may get very sick, but, does it need to be blown out of proportion?

I'm guessing you have never been through a natural disaster.
    I live my life as though another Hurricane Katrina or super blizzard could hit at any moment. We could live comfortably for a month in the winter with zero utilities and not leaving the house.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Seconds
    Minutes
    Hours
    Days
    Weeks
    Months
    Years
    Decades

How long you’re ready for depends on how long you think you might need to reestablish your personal supply chain or produce or barter for those things you might need...
    PS. Big hint here is WHAT TIME OF YEAR MIGHT THIS EVEN HAPPEN?

From some stories I’ve heard...DAYS is the most popular choice. Sucks to be them.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I just got done talking to Mrs. 6-Pack (who was onboard with my prepping only for moral support) and we're so happy we can sleep at night. We can be cut off from the outside world for a good 6 months before we'd need to venture out. We topped off our supplies a few weeks ago, so I'll leave the panic buying for the ill-prepared.

Also, my dad is a doctor and used to get a few laughs at my preparedness. I mailed him out a spare gas mask and filters last night - the hospital doesn't have even N95 masks for their doctors. He said after this he's going to be more prepared for "things." The silver lining is that this event will encourage more people to be prepared.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    He's going in to the Tortilla business....

Even sick people gotta eat, and Fajita's are a "super food".... :D

Actually it was masa flour.
    You can buy a 4 pound bag at Aldi for $1.95 and it’s enough to make 110 corn tortillas.
    Just add a little salt and water and heat them up. It’s a decent substitute for bread if it comes to that.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

It’s capitalism.

Raising prices drives increased production. It's a good thing, ultimately; After the 2013 ammo shortage, production increased and brought five years or more of ready availability, at reasonable prices. Meanwhile, jobs opened up to meet increased demand.

Markets function rationally, until the govt gets involved and screws everything up.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    A little planning goes a long way, having a decent stock of necessities is always a good idea. That way you are not one of the people trying to buy the store out of tp. If more people did that, there would very little panic buying. My mom who grew up during the great depression taught me to try and always have a bit of back up as you never know when lean times might come knocking at the door. Also never rely on the government to bail your butt out in an emergency.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    No hoss, capitalism is raising prices to meet demand. The reason shit is selling out is because the demand has greatly increased and the price has not risen to match.

If people want to hoard shit at fair market prices, yes they should be able to.

No, horse,

I didn’t say raising prices isn’t capitalism...yes anyone who has wiki-ed supply and demand or took Econ 101 knows the relationship.

You, however, sound like big brother who wants to control others or making them hurt no reason. If people want to hoard shit, why would you wish to punish them with raising prices? Just sound like a bitter person. It’s not hurting you (unless you can’t get toilet paper in which case your idea of raising prices will only hurt you).

People cope in different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom