• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    What kinds of areas are these found in? Any clues as to where to start looking?

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Pretty sure that all morels are safe to eat. They do have different colors from Yellow, grey, brown. My dad likes the darker ones the best and I think they are just older. I have some darker colored ones in my pile and the grey and darker brown ones are firmer and I am guessing had popped earlier. This afternoon I will try to investigate further but there were a few of the yellowish ones that were more moist and I believe that they must have just come out.

Gotcha thanks! I ended up not keeping the greyer one as i figured it wouldn't taste as good anyway presumably being much older

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Not sure if this will help some find these. Most of these were found near Gunpowder State Park and primarily along the edge of a wood line. We walked down the edge spread out about 10 yards apart or so and went about 150 yards and then came back just below where we walked. I estimate we covered about 30-40 yards one one pass.

Many of these were found near down logs, even a down branch that was approx 3-4 inches thick. The areas were not completely wide open but in areas with some cover, saplings, thin grass or vines. Tulip Poplar trees seemed to be a common area to find them all around the potential canopy.

They were not growing in large groups but normally if there was one, there would be another a couple of feet away and this continued. We found less as we got closer to a little creek with sandy soil and less cover.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Northeast Branch, along the colesville road. The trail down from the old dam site.

Lolol FML. We searched the same trail just opposite ends and i found nothing.

Thanks for that. I’m heading to some private land about 75 acres here in a bit. Let’s hope i don’t get skunked. Honestly i just want like 10 to try and I’ll be good.

Also side bar. I once walked from Brookside gardens to about 200 yards away from the dam but thought it was further so i turned around. 200 f’n yards from walking that whole damn trail and i turned around. I still feel stupid about that.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Hoping to find more here in SoMD. This should be a good weekend with warming weather after all the rain. Only found a dozen so far this year.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Haven’t looked for them in years.
    I have one question for all you “mushroom hunters” out there. What caliber is best for this type of hunting?
    Handgun, rifle, shotgun, bow and arrow?
    Love to start doing this myself, I just want to make sure I have the right equipment.
    :D

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I found a few in seneca creek but they were really just scattered deep in the woods, well off the trail. Prob not worthwhile scouring thousands of acres unless you "know" a spot haha

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Northwest Branch

Lolol FML. We searched the same trail just opposite ends and i found nothing.

Thanks for that. I’m heading to some private land about 75 acres here in a bit. Let’s hope i don’t get skunked. Honestly i just want like 10 to try and I’ll be good.

Also side bar. I once walked from Brookside gardens to about 200 yards away from the dam but thought it was further so i turned around. 200 f’n yards from walking that whole damn trail and i turned around. I still feel stupid about that.

Cool! My house backs to the park so might as well nose around myself. I'm back there quite often so would not be surprised if I unknowingly exchanged greetings with a neighbor and fellow MDS member.

Cheers

B.Kone

Jan 11, 2020
    When looking for Morels look for Elm trees (Especially Slippery Elm). That’s where I find 95% of Morels. I think the Elms release certain nutrients back in the soil that Morels need... kinda like how Sugar Maple, Tulip Poplar, & Black Walnut leave calcium in their leaves and when they fall off the tree they decompose, putting calcium right back into soil.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Wife, dog and I have been spending a lot of time in Wheaton Regional lately, on and off trail. Nada. A fair number of deer, though, and more humans than I'd expect. Good eating, once the meat supply dries up.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    While out for a walk, my wife and daughters found this one growing on the edge of the driveway yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• D82CFA67-8F29-42EA-B60A-9853B217757D.jpg
      D82CFA67-8F29-42EA-B60A-9853B217757D.jpg
      183.8 KB · Views: 315
    • 88A8F620-54C3-4296-94E9-6ADAAEB0CD83.jpeg
      88A8F620-54C3-4296-94E9-6ADAAEB0CD83.jpeg
      54.3 KB · Views: 295

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Wild mushrooms scare the bejesus out of me. I know if I went morel hunting, I'd pick the wrong ones and kill myself. :whack:

fauxknee

Mar 9, 2018
    You mean.....

Wife, dog and I have been spending a lot of time in Wheaton Regional lately, on and off trail. Nada. A fair number of deer, though, and more humans than I'd expect. Good eating, once the meat supply dries up.

The HUMANS??? LOL:party29:

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I listen to Theo Von and he always talks about back in the day when he would pick psychedelic mushrooms. Like trash bags full of them.

That's what I'm afraid of. Picking the wrong ones and going on some crazy trip and/or dying.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    While out for a walk, my wife and daughters found this one growing on the edge of the driveway yesterday afternoon.

This dude has then growing by his driveway! I searched a 75 acre property and couldn’t find 1.

FML LOL

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    When looking for Morels look for Elm trees (Especially Slippery Elm). That’s where I find 95% of Morels. I think the Elms release certain nutrients back in the soil that Morels need... kinda like how Sugar Maple, Tulip Poplar, & Black Walnut leave calcium in their leaves and when they fall off the tree they decompose, putting calcium right back into soil.

Yep, elm trees. Had best finds under elm trees that are starting to die and the bark is starting to crack off. They can produce very well for several years.

Wild mushrooms scare the bejesus out of me. I know if I went morel hunting, I'd pick the wrong ones and kill myself. :whack:

When I forage for mushrooms, I stick with what I can 100% ID. Morels are the king of easy identification because there is only one other mushroom that can be confused with a Morel- the False Morel. The False Morel can be identified 3 easy ways. If your "Morel" passes any of the 3 tests, pitch it.
    1- Long stem
    2- Hood attached like a bell- not connected on the bottom
    3- Gets mushy and slimy with minimal touching

I would be happy to go shrooming with you sometime if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom