• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Eff the stay. We never get a stay in our favor. Eff’m.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Putting on my magic hat:

En banc hearing in Dec 2020, En Banc rules the restriction is constitutional.

Appealed to Supreme Court.... Hearing in 2021, Roberts write majority opinion upholding restriction.

Sadly, I think you're right. Except the USSC will probably just deny cert instead of taking a stance

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Build on the little victories.

A good way to look at it. The Left has always proven patient by scoring incremental victories because if they came out and said what their ultimate goal is they would lose votes and support big time.

Even small wins are still wins. Not saying don't go for the grand slam but base hits are far more common...play a strong defensive game and take the 3-run homers when they happen...but any win...even an ugly win...is still a win.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Chief Justice Roberts Jr cares about one thing, his legacy. Sad what vanity does to a man who could have been as great as Scalia.

I have to believe it is far worse than that. He is compromised. He flipped seemingly over night. And maybe having the goods on him is why he sailed through confirmation relatively easily to begin with.

Edit: By the way, where are all the people crying about how the NRA sucks?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    No word yet whether CA will appeal for an en banc hearing or whether they will ask a judge to stay the ruling until a full appeal is heard. You can bet CA residents will be ordering as many 10+ capacity magazines as they can find.

It's probably a good or even better time to be a magazine maker or reseller.

They have to. Letting it stand creates a split in the courts and would guarantee a supreme court petition. If they get an en banc review odds are it will be reversed and the Supreme court will ignore future petitions.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Awesome!!! More importantly, for his work in the most infringing jurisdiction in the country,

PAGING @wolfwood !!!

How does this 9th circus ruling effect Hawaii? Iirc they have similar state laws.

As others have said, if this survives en banc, it’ll be so cool to watch them eat a plate full of crap too!

That said, here goes a huge run on mags! All that pent up demand on the left coast!

Hawaii is in the 9CA, so this would affect them. I'm sure the politicians there will find some way around it.

Probably require a serial number provided by the state, and then never issue one.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    En banc in 3....2....1....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Probably right, although it’s no longer a slam dunk as Trump appointees have almost evened the score between dems and GOP nominees. Also, this is one of the few times the district and 3 judge panels have agreed on a pro 2A ruling.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    What’s En banc?

En Banc is an optional appeal process when the majority of all of the judges in an Appellate Circuit vote to hear an appeal of a 3-judge panel opinion in their Circuit. It's very rare because rehearing the case in front of a large panel of judges has a significant impact on the other business in the Circuit. That said, in 9th Circuit, pretty much every pro-2A panel ruling has been reheard En Banc because a majority of the judges believe 2A is a "collective" right rather than an individual right.

IIRC it can be requested either by one of the parties to the case, or by a group of judges in the Circuit. But a request doesn't mean En Banc rehearing wil be granted, just like filing for Cert at SCOTUS doesn't guarantee Cert will be granted.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Simple layman’s explanation.

The case here got heard by 3 judges selected from the 9th circuit. And was rule for the pro2a side, against the state.

Loser feels the ruling is wrong.

They appeal to the FULL set of judges on the 9th circuit. I don’t recall exactly how many, but google or our legal eagles can answer precisely. Maybe 13?15? I’ll defer to the lawyers that respond.

That’s the “en banc” part. Not just the 3 judges on the normal panel, but ALL of the judges rehear the case.

They group appealing hopes their loss to the 3 judge panel is overturned.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV

The case here got heard by 3 judges selected from the 9th circuit. And was rule for the pro2a side, against the state.

They appeal to the FULL set of judges on the 9th circuit. I don’t recall exactly how many, but google or our legal eagles can answer precisely. Maybe 13?15? I’ll defer to the lawyers that respond.

That’s the “en banc” part. Not just the 3 judges on the normal panel, but ALL of the judges rehear the case.

Thanks guys I appreciate the clarification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Just curious, but does this automatically cancel the Hawaii law?

Or would someone like @wolfwood have to file a lawsuit?

Hawaii is in the 9CA, so this would affect them. I'm sure the politicians there will find some way around it.

Probably require a serial number provided by the state, and then never issue one.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Any President can "not like" anything he wants, but it hardly has the force of legislation.

Build on the little victories.
    Removing suppressors from the NFA hasn't happened under a Republican Senate, house, or president. We need to demand more than the bare minimum, because that's pathetic. Also to quote a ban-happy Trump:

“I don’t like it. I don’t like it,” Trump said.
    “Would you like to see those banned?” Morgan asked.
    “Well, I’d like to think about it,” Trump said. “Nobody’s talked about silencers very much. They did talk about the bump stock and we had it banned. And we’re looking at that. I’m going to seriously look at it. I don’t love the idea of it. I don’t like the idea. What’s happening is crazy, okay? It’s crazy.”

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Let Ca take the DC approach. They keep regular mag sizes and let the 4th circuit suffer. Don't want the SCOTUS to make the decision.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Let Ca take the DC approach. They keep regular mag sizes and let the 4th circuit suffer. Don't want the SCOTUS to make the decision.

Huh? SCOTUS just punted on a whole bunch of 2A cases, including the soft throw NYC case.

SCOTUS won't make a decision with its current makeup.

Roberts or one of the liberals must vacate.

But yes, 9CA gets standard mags and 4CA suffers.

I have a feeling the en banc will reverse.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I look forward to being told that the founders only had single shot muskets even though the Girardoni air rifle and the Kalthoff repeater existed.

The dissenting judge said magazine restrictions should be enforceable. There is a greater difference between a rifle and a pistol than there is between a 10 round and an 11 round magazine. Regulating how many bullets you can shoot before reloading is regulating how you can use a gun. Not guns.

I call total BS on that crap.

First of all, there is a huge difference between 10 and 11 if you needed that 11th bullet. And in many cases we are really talking the difference between 10 and 15-18 or 10 and 20-30.

That’s a rather substantial difference in ones ability to defend themselves.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Man, if this survives en banc, it's the case we need.

Also, the Trump crowd needs to get real, any GOP president would have made the same judicial picks. I guarantee Trump isn't the guy picking those names out.
    No. Trump is ramming them through with Mitch. The are completely ignoring the screams of the Cali senators crying foul because they are not consulting with the local senators on the appointments.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

It's 11 judges (Chief judge + 10 randomly chosen CA9 judges). There is a mechanism where ALL 29 judges can hear a case but I don't believe that's ever happened, but I don't put it past them to try and call for this if en banc is granted and the state loses yet again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom