• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Colt Sporter Match HBAR, Serial number Prefix MH, purchased new in 1991. Rifle has flash hider and no bayonet lug. Chrome lined barrel with less than 100 rds fired.

My brother that lives in PA wants to sell this rifle and asked me what it was worth. I've never been a big AR 15 fan although I have several and couldn't tell him. I know by the serial number and when it was purchased it is definitely a pre-ban. The whole Colt value thing (pre-ban vs. post-ban) seems confusing. I don't want him to get ripped off so I ask here at the MDS well of knowledge what is a fair price for this piece?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It's difficult to give a fair value estimation considering how roiled today's market is. That lack of a bayonet lug means a lot to collectors...negatively. Just a SWAG...in the $1000-$1100 area but I could be way off. With a bayonet lug and all the "evil" goodies on it it would be probably a couple hundred dollars more.

To someone looking for a AR of any kind and not picky about the era it was made nor a bayonet lug would be the best person to sell it to. Gun people wouldn't buy it except for a low-ball price. I know the lack of a bayonet lug is meaningless for the rifles function but the market decides otherwise.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I suspect prices will rise as we close in on the election...and maybe skyrocket after the election...depending on the outcome.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I suspect prices will rise as we close in on the election...and maybe skyrocket after the election...depending on the outcome.

I see the outcome as extraneous. Either way, the effect on 2A will be the same; either ramping up to continue the coup, or ramping up prior to the crackdown on 2A rights.

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    Colt Sporter Match HBAR, Serial number Prefix MH, purchased new in 1991. Rifle has flash hider and no bayonet lug. Chrome lined barrel with less than 100 rds fired.

My brother that lives in PA wants to sell this rifle and asked me what it was worth. I've never been a big AR 15 fan although I have several and couldn't tell him. I know by the serial number and when it was purchased it is definitely a pre-ban. The whole Colt value thing (pre-ban vs. post-ban) seems confusing. I don't want him to get ripped off so I ask here at the MDS well of knowledge what is a fair price for this piece?

Bout tree-fiddy.

Waiting for the election is a gamble. If Biden wins it goes up substantially, if he loses, I think it'll go down a little bit, but not significantly. There will always be more gun buyers as time goes on, but there won't be any more of that one gun he's got. I'd say save it or sell it for a bit more than its worth if someone is willing to pay that.

For the most part I agree with bob.

Preban or not, the missing flashhider an bayonet lug are a big minus, they're just about the least desirable of all the Colt A2's. The most pricey is typically the slab-sided AR-15A2 with the lug and A2 hider still on it, those go for 2000 or so. I think in today's market his would go for 1200, maybe a bit more.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Definitely worth more than “tree fiddy.” More like three times that. They’re fine rifles. And muzzle devices can be chadded out, after all.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    They're worth more in Massachusetts. Preban are the only ARs they can buy.
    For them the low end is about $1500 usually selling around $2000.
    I really want a preban 9mm Colt AR, but they have sent the prices of those through the roof

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    What he's got is a blue label pre-ban Colt Sporter.

These were made between 1989 and 1994 after Colt briefly pulled AR15 marked rifles from the market after the Stockton CA shooting. Colt discovered that other companies (Bushmaster and Eagle Arms) were simply going to take the market if they abandoned it so they re-introduced the AR15A2 as the "Sporter."

Colt voluntarily removed the bayonet lug on these rifles but kept the flash hider until they were forced to remove it in 1994.

Yes, the green label AR15 marked rifles with the lug command more from collectors. For shooters they've still got the same slab sided lower and dumb screw pin used in the SP1.

They are definitely good rifles. If you want a factory built A2 style rifle it is one of the better options in terms of quality.

While most buyers today want short and s****y 16 in. bbl M4 carbine clones the old A2's still have a following such as buyers in MA, Colt Fanbois (which I am not) and guys looking for retro A2's. You should check out the A2 subforum on ARFCOM to get more info.

Colt did some other goofy stuff with these rifles during the production run (sear blocks, half moon carriers, oversized nonstandard FCG pin sizes) that may change the value but don't let people run it down because it doesn't have a bayonet lug on it. In its day it was a top shelf product.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I agree. And I'd say the OP's rifle is worth at least $1500 IF it's in 100% factory configuration and the condition is as new (which it should be with less than 100 rounds through it).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I agree. And I'd say the OP's rifle is worth at least $1500 IF it's in 100% factory configuration and the condition is as new (which it should be with less than 100 rounds through it).

Damn. First thing I did after the ban expired was sell my Match Target HBAR. Should have kept it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    What he's got is a blue label pre-ban Colt Sporter.

These were made between 1989 and 1994 after Colt briefly pulled AR15 marked rifles from the market after the Stockton CA shooting. Colt discovered that other companies (Bushmaster and Eagle Arms) were simply going to take the market if they abandoned it so they re-introduced the AR15A2 as the "Sporter."

Colt voluntarily removed the bayonet lug on these rifles but kept the flash hider until they were forced to remove it in 1994.

Yes, the green label AR15 marked rifles with the lug command more from collectors. For shooters they've still got the same slab sided lower and dumb screw pin used in the SP1.

They are definitely good rifles. If you want a factory built A2 style rifle it is one of the better options in terms of quality.

While most buyers today want short and s****y 16 in. bbl M4 carbine clones the old A2's still have a following such as buyers in MA, Colt Fanbois (which I am not) and guys looking for retro A2's. You should check out the A2 subforum on ARFCOM to get more info.

Colt did some other goofy stuff with these rifles during the production run (sear blocks, half moon carriers, oversized nonstandard FCG pin sizes) that may change the value but don't let people run it down because it doesn't have a bayonet lug on it. In its day it was a top shelf product.

Colt R6601.
    Got one in the safe.

Used to shoot NRA High Power Rifle with it.
    VERY accurate.

Less than 1/2" groups at 100 yards w/ FGMM or my handloads. Open sights. Off sandbags.

After I damaged my right eye, I added a scope and "Delta" cheekpiece.
    Sighted it in/zeroed scope, and it's sat in the safe, ever since.

Heck. I wouldn't sell mine for $1,500. I'd think about it, for $2,000. :D

69 gr MatchKing
    Winchester brass
    H-335
    Federal 205M primer
    SCSC range. 100 yards
    Fired using sandbag (Uncle Bud's "Bulls Bag")
    My spotter is a SCSC Life Member and told me to "Cease Fire!" after 3 shots.
    He said he didn't want me to "eff up" a good group!

Attachments

• R6601 - 100 yds - handloads.jpg
      R6601 - 100 yds - handloads.jpg
      26.4 KB · Views: 592

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Colt R6601.
    Got one in the safe.

Used to shoot NRA High Power Rifle with it.
    VERY accurate.

Less than 1/2" groups at 100 yards w/ FGMM or my handloads. Open sights. Off sandbags.

After I damaged my right eye, I added a scope and "Delta" cheekpiece.
    Sighted it in/zeroed scope, and it's sat in the safe, ever since.

Heck. I wouldn't sell mine for $1,500. I'd think about it, for $2,000. :D

69 gr MatchKing
    Winchester brass
    H-335
    Federal 205M primer
    SCSC range. 100 yards
    Fired using sandbag (Uncle Bud's "Bulls Bag")
    My spotter is a SCSC Life Member and told me to "Cease Fire!" after 3 shots.
    He said he didn't want me to "eff up" a good group!

Blue Book for a pre-ban R6601 is $1600 in 98% condition. OP, do you know the exact model number?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This may have some value because its a pretty pre- ban Colt etc.

However, right now its a sellers market. You could probably name your price. Someone who knows the value might offer you $1200-1500. However, people are desperate and there is no inventory, so you'll get more than you think.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There must best some really scared people out there paying that for an AR-15...excellent rifle but not worth that kind of money. If I could find the bidders I'd offer a few of mine for that kind of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom