• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09jackpot

Oct 18, 2016
    Need to know if the Maryland Police Training Commission, Firearms Safety Course, Certificate of completion is still acceptable for HQL Training exemption.

Awhile back I heard something about an online class through MD that will be the same as a safety class. Could be used to aid in the HQL Process? Please let me know. I have already submitted application to MSP and awaiting approval. Would it be best to call MSP or will it be a satisfactory completion of training? Or should I just go take the course? Didn't really want to spend the extra money could go the gun and extras.

I am a current gun owner of only rifles. Do not own and handguns/regulated guns. Never had to take a hunters safety course due to my birth year and have been hunting for over 20 years.

Thanks [

Attachments

• 20160827_222207_resized (2).jpg
      20160827_222207_resized (2).jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 2,420

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I will not comment as to whether or not what you have qualifies, but here is an expert from the HQL page on the MSP web site in case you've not seen it.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
    In accordance with the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, individuals who are voluntarily admitted to an inpatient psychiatric facility (either state, private or acute general), for a period of 30 consecutive days or more, or involuntarily certified and retained by an Administrative Law Judge may have to surrender their firearms and will be prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm unless an individual is granted relief from firearm disqualification. DHMH makes available to persons who are prohibited from possessing certain firearms a process to apply for relief from these prohibitions.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    As noted above, if you already own a regulated firearm you don't need to do the class. You still have to do the application/fingerprints/license part of it though.

09jackpot

Oct 18, 2016
    Not a veteran or retired police. Thanks for the replies. I will call tomorrow probably the easiest.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the OP. Yes, hunter safety. The other course asked about may require a phone call to ascertain.

Need to know if the Maryland Police Training Commission, Firearms Safety Course, Certificate of completion is still acceptable for HQL Training exemption.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Where are you located? If convenient MD Small Arms Range has conducted classes for $20.

Also, maybe you mistyped, mispoke or simply not spelled it out, but Maryland exemption to Hunter Safety isn't dependent on birth year. You must have held a license before 1977. Hunting for 20 years (or 30 even) doesn't go back far enough to provide exemption under MD hunting laws.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Of course you can also still build your own pistols at home from 80% frames using simple tools, no BS HQL and training class infringements required(for now...)
    Only problem is the gun is yours for life and you can't sell it.
    www.Polymer80.com www.stealtharms.net

It takes about 3 hours to build a Glock and maybe 5 hours or less with practice to build a 1911 from parts.
    You may or may not have some small problems with the gun that you will need to work on.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    We tried to submit the online training course you used to have to take to buy a handgun as the training exemption and it was rejected. The instructor-led course from the MPTC does qualify, however. It was a 4-hour course from years ago where your card was signed by the instructor.

If you own a regulated firearm, to include C&R handgun or stripped lower that had a 7-day waiting period, or regulated rifle from before 10/1/13 also qualifies. We had one guy who bought an AK-47 before 10/1/13 and used that as his regulated firearm exemption. Got his HQL is about 3 weeks and is good to go.

We haven't tried the online hunter safety courses from other states yet, but apparently the hunter safety course from Michigan, I believe, doesn't qualify. We had a guy a few years ago that tried it and was rejected. We had to do the HQL training for him.

If anyone wants to try the online hunter safety course and gets rejected, I'll do the training for free. I'm curious to see if it works. There is another thread from Engage, I believe, that talks about the online course being approved.

09jackpot

Oct 18, 2016
    Class Near Annapolis

OK I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to take the training class. After reading the replies it seems to be the best solution.

Now as for the class 2 questions?

1.If I have submitted the application due to my impatient nature can I add the training cert to the app?

2.If I can add need to find the first available class? Anybody know of one close to Annapolis MD. Looking for a weeknight Tues-Friday or early Saturday?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    OK I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to take the training class. After reading the replies it seems to be the best solution.

1.If I have submitted the application due to my impatient nature can I add the training cert to the app?

2.If I can add need to find the first available class? Anybody know of one close to Annapolis MD. Looking for a weeknight Tues-Friday or early Saturday?

why not the texas online hunter safety? its at your leisure and time.
    Check out this post. https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2716881&postcount=1

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I think my daughter is getting ready to take an HQL class near Annapolis. I'll ask her.

EDIT: FreeState Range in Middle river. They are an IP here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom