• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Anybody catching white perch or catfish in the Tuckahoe or Upper Choptank??Any tips?
    Was thinking of fishing around Denton out of a kayak early next week.Would like to put some fish in the freezer.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    https://visitdorchester.org/bill-burton-fishing-pier/

Grew up fishing here where “nearly” every cast resulted in perch or spot. Otherwise when on a boat, stick to old dock pylons relatively nearby shore. Don’t think I’ve ever caught any in deeper bay water.

I fished there once and caught some nice size white perch.I want to be in my kayak away from other people this time tho

Thanks for the info

They weren't doing too badly at marshyhope in Federalsburg. Some decent white perch with some crappie mixed in. There are boat ramps there as well as a kayak soft launch. Just keep in mind that water temperature is still really cold. If you apply the 120 rule you should probably have a dry suit. In case you don't know the 120 rule is the air temperature added to the water temperature should equal at least 120 before you no longer need a drysuit. The water temperatures are in the low 50s right now

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Never been to Marshyhope,but I have heard that is good place to catch blue cats.
    Where would I find the soft launch you mentioned?

I waterfowl hunt out of my kayak,so know what you mean about the cold water.

Thanks man

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Never been to Marshyhope,but I have heard that is good place to catch blue cats.
    Where would I find the soft launch you mentioned?

I waterfowl hunt out of my kayak,so know what you mean about the cold water.

Thanks man

404 east to about 1 1/2 mile past rt 16. (newest rofo on 404). Turn right at the light onto MD 313. Travel south 10 miles to F berg and as you go around the bypass past the tracks you'll see the launch on the left by the basketball courts. Immediately across the road from the town park by the legion is another one. Just on the other side of the memorial.
    The only other public launch is Cherry Beach (Nanticoke) which is not Kayak friendly because of the tide but better fishing in between there and Vienna or at the fork of the Marshyhope.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    404 east to about 1 1/2 mile past rt 16. (newest rofo on 404). Turn right at the light onto MD 313. Travel south 10 miles to F berg and as you go around the bypass past the tracks you'll see the launch on the left by the basketball courts. Immediately across the road from the town park by the legion is another one. Just on the other side of the memorial.
    The only other public launch is Cherry Beach (Nanticoke) which is not Kayak friendly because of the tide but better fishing in between there and Vienna or at the fork of the Marshyhope.

Cool!!! I will definitely consider that as my destination.Are there blue cats there ?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The Nanticoke is loaded with Catfish and they are catching them right now. I would not however use a kayak on the river better to get a buddy with a small powerboat/skiff its very hard to swim against. Blues are in the Nanticoke as well as a variety other cat species.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    The Nanticoke is loaded with Catfish and they are catching them right now. I would not however use a kayak on the river better to get a buddy with a small powerboat/skiff its very hard to swim against. Blues are in the Nanticoke as well as a variety other cat species.

Thanks,seems like sound advice

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Not sure what’s running in the upper Choptank but I do have a soft landing across the street from my house and there would be no issue parking in my driveway. Look up Two Johns landing, and there are a bunch of pylons just off the bank. If you need better locations PM me.

My buddy in Mardela Springs has been hammering Blue Cats over the past 2 weeks. Not sure where he is fishing though. (I know he runs Barren Creek to the Nanticoke a lot)

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Not sure what’s running in the upper Choptank but I do have a soft landing across the street from my house and there would be no issue parking in my driveway. Look up Two Johns landing, and there are a bunch of pylons just off the bank. If you need better locations PM me.

Thats a very generous offer,Thanks

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I wound up putting in at Kingston Landing.I paddled awhile and found a good drop off.Caught an 8 lb and a 6 lb blue cat right off the bat,but the wind was blowing me around so I had to find a sheltered area.I caught 10 channel cats there raging from 3 to 6 lbs. in about 2 hours.

I have never caught that much weight of catfish in a day.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

Whats a soft landing, A sand/dirt ramp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom