• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    I want to buy an AR 15 Pistol and need buying advice. Since Maryland banned most AR 15's, these look like a good option. I don't know anything about them, but would like to add one to the collection. Am I nuts? So, who owns them and what do y'all think? I would like to use it for recreational shooting and home defense. I was looking at the Springfield Armory models. Thanks, Red

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buy a complete AR lower. Then buy a complete pistol upper. No HQL required. Easy peasy... :shrug:

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    They are regulated. You will need a HQL and the AR pistol will have to be on the roster. I was up Guntry today and they had a few up there. I think Molly's over in Kennedyville had a few ATI AR pistols too. As mentioned you could also just buy a lower and then look around for your own upper to throw on it. You have options.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    what gets right past the pistol classification? Collapsible stock, etc

If you buy a rifle or carbine, you can't convert it to a pistol. Anything transfered to you as a rifle has to stay a rifle. You can convert it to an SBR, but that is NFA and requires a tax stamp.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    I looked at the MD Handgun Roster and saw various Springfield Armory Models are approved. These got good reviews too. I want to buy one, not build one. The crazy thing for me is that they banned most of the AR 15 rifles, but these AR 15 pistols are good to go! Makes no sense? But then again, we in MD!

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    That's MD for ya!

I've got a lower on the way for a pistol build and I know you don't need an HQL for the transfer. I've got my HQL but what if you didn't have an HQL and you built a transferred stripped lower in to an AR pistol? Does someone need an HQL to do that?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Umm... don't you need a HQL to purchase a stripped lower that is NOT an 80%...?
    Because there is a 4473 and a 7 day wait.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    If you buy a stripped lower you can make it into a pistol or a rifle. No hql unless you're buying a complete handgun...which must be on the roster. If you make it a pistol first then you can make it into a rifle and go back to a pistol anytime you wish. Rifle first means rifle only. I've not gotten the HQL and won't be so building a handgun or more to a point assembling a handgun is my only option.
    I'm looking to get in on the 80% glock builds. Not a glock person...but I don't see any other 80 builds besides 1911s and they are more work it seems. A shockwave is on my build list too...just need the donor pistol grip only mossberg.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I just saw in another thread that there is a drop down box somewhere on the form that you can pick "lower receiver"... I didn't see it... No matter... will pick up my M&M lower at Tylers next Friday.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I'm looking to get in on the 80% glock builds. Not a glock person...but I don't see any other 80 builds besides 1911s and they are more work it seems. A shockwave is on my build list too...just need the donor pistol grip only mossberg.

There are 80% Sig P320 builds available. They require a little more work than the 80% Glock builds but nowhere near what the 80% 1911's require.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    What is your intent with an AR pistol? My research suggested that for a .223/5.56 round you want to be 11.5" or longer for better accuracy at distance (if you care about distance). Then you also have to worry about the noise from the pistol. Apparently they are a good amount more obnoxious than a rifle length. I ended up going with a .300 pistol because they maintain accuracy better in a shorter barrel and they are more conducive to being suppressed with subsonic ammo.

If you are just buying it for fun and shooting at 50 to 100 yards, you probably won't care about accuracy in a .223 and apparently they make blast diverters to push sound forward instead of sideways. If you're buying for home defense and concerned about blowing your eardrums out after the first shot, perhaps a suppressed .300 is a better option. 9mm is also a good option for shorter range AR pistols, but I'm fairly certain they aren't interchangeable like the AR15 platform is.

My suggestion is to buy a striped lower and build it yourself. It isn't very difficult to do and you learn more about how your gun works if you assembled it. PSA sells a kit with the SBA3 brace and their EPT trigger for about $200, I'm sure it will go on sale when demand eventually backs down. Then you have a completed lower and can either assemble your own upper or buy a completed upper. Its really not that hard and I found it to be pretty fun to do. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom