• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And none of what you cited could directly kill someone. :facepalm: Taking a simple idiot 8 hour course does NOT infringe on the 2A. Did you take a drivers test by chance? If so.... WHY is it law, just to get a few extra bucks from you?

Driving is NOT a right.

OK, so you accept an 8 hour course. But how about when the law says it has to be a 6 week, 40 hour per week course. Oh, and that you have to take the course to possess the firearms you already bought. Oh, and you have 90 days to complete the course, or turn in your firearms.

What part of SHALL NOT INFRINGE do you not understand.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Investing in machine guns has always been a risk.

What happens if it breaks?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Lets just make the feds liable to buy back any civilian owned per 86 MG at the current owners purchase price.:D

Why should we surrender our arms to the government for any reason at all. It goest back the the cake metaphor regarding gun rights and gun control.

TO8BGgw.png

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pinecone's point (is probably) referring to cracked frames, broken registered sears, broken registered Lightning Links, broken registered trigger packs, etc that are not physically reparable.

Back in the pre '86 day, MG collecting may have primarily been older and affulent, but there were some younger-ish guys who prioritized their disposable income into machineguns instead of bass boats or Harleys. And lots of purchasers were LEO's making personal purchases .

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Serious question and not some sort of challenge: Who here actually believes that the Reagan MG ban will be lifted in the next four years?

I, for one, do NOT think it will. I wish it would and I'd gladly give up the value of my FA in order to buy lots of other goodies, but I just don't see it happening.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Of course not. Frankly, there isn't a single tangible argument to lift it. We "need" more machine guns? Good luck with that.

At least suppressors have a sound argument. (see what I did, there. :D )

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Pinecone's point (is probably) referring to cracked frames, broken registered sears, broken registered Lightning Links, broken registered trigger packs, etc that are not physically reparable.

You can all all of those. Some MGs are two halves welded back together.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    At least what I think BenL is implying is that "need" is difficult to defend. Nobody needs a car that does 200 mph either, the better argument is: why should you be able to prohibit me from owning one? It's similar to the "2A is for self defense" legal test--once we begin scrutinizing our rights using a narrow argument we have already lost ground.

The Constitution says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". We don't need to defend why we should be able to own FA. Those that wish to take the right away "need" to argue why it's reasonable, good for public safety, and not in violation of 2A.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Even though I have already invested in class 3 firearms, I'd love to see Hughes go away. I'd take the economic hit in the name of liberty, it's as simple as that.

I think that restoring our gun rights needs to take a phased approach, with Hughes coming toward the end of the journey. I put it near the end because I believe it would have the least popular support, and there is lower hanging fruit to harvest before taking on the big fight. National CCW reciprocity, firearm and mag restrictions, importation rules, interstate transfers, and so forth are easier to get before we go after Hughes, rather than after. We'd spend too much political capital on Hughes, and our community may be too fractured by that battle (think of the Fudds weighing in) to try to patch things up to go after the less controversial matters.

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    This discussion while intriguing is simply academics.
    It's never going to happen, at least not before the apocalypse of some sort anyway.
    But my weigh in, as a MG-less person, I do believe everyone (law-abiding and all that shit) deserves an MG or two, at least.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Even though I have already invested in class 3 firearms, I'd love to see Hughes go away. I'd take the economic hit in the name of liberty, it's as simple as that.

I think that restoring our gun rights needs to take a phased approach, with Hughes coming toward the end of the journey. I put it near the end because I believe it would have the least popular support, and there is lower hanging fruit to harvest before taking on the big fight. National CCW reciprocity, firearm and mag restrictions, importation rules, interstate transfers, and so forth are easier to get before we go after Hughes, rather than after. We'd spend too much political capital on Hughes, and our community may be too fractured by that battle (think of the Fudds weighing in) to try to patch things up to go after the less controversial matters.

Bingo. This is a campaign, not a single battle. Win the easier fights first.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Why should we surrender our arms to the government for any reason at all. It goest back the the cake metaphor regarding gun rights and gun control.

TO8BGgw.png

If the NFA is repealed and MG prices return to earth the federal government should be on the hook to compensate any MG owner who was a victim of the over inflated prices that they created. If said owner chooses to sell their pre 86 in the future they shouldn't be hit with a penalty for playing by the rules.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    If the NFA is repealed and MG prices return to earth the federal government should be on the hook to compensate any MG owner who was a victim of the over inflated prices that they created. If said owner chooses to sell their pre 86 in the future they shouldn't be hit with a penalty for playing by the rules.

I don't agree with this. Should the government be held responsible for the underperformace of a stock due to some regulation? This is a precedent we don't want.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    If the NFA is repealed and MG prices return to earth the federal government should be on the hook to compensate any MG owner who was a victim of the over inflated prices that they created.
    ...what could possibly be the logic for this

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom