• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    https://www.ftknox.com/product/original-pistol-box-wfront-sight-training-certificate-included/

They do include a Front Sight 2 day pistol course, but you have to travel to Nevada. Waiting for a response to email to Ft Know inquiring if the certificate is transferable to possibly recoup some of the $327 before making the purchase.

$292 including tax and free shipping from a seller on Amazon sans the 2 day Front Sight Course
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V6TDX4E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3UAGYSEPP3KE4&psc=1

Last edited:

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Wow

What's the point? Anyone can carry that out and take time to crack it open.

If you're trying to comply, plenty of other options for much cheaper.

Or maybe they're up charging for the "free" course?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Wow. I have several of those Ft. Knox safes. I don't think I ever paid more than $200 shipped.

Anything can be broken in to with enough time. The advantage of a small safe like that is ease of hiding it, as well as some security versus just having a loaded or even unloaded gun basically out in the open or very easily snatched.

I have a dedicated big safe, with AR's and other things, but it is in my basement and not that easy to get to versus the Ft. Knox safe in my bedroom, under the bed along with my Magnum condoms, and other needed protection I need (sometimes..not as often as I'd like..).

The Simplex lock works great, and I have one of these safes that has been accessed thousands of times (it's for my wallet and keys, some cash, etc.. It's a daily use box..)

There are definitely other options, cheaper, etc.. The Ft. Knox box has been around for some time and you will never have to worry about batteries going dead, or it not reading a fingerprint, etc.. I have those type of safes as well, but my HD pistol is in one of those Simplex locked safes versus anything electronic. There are other Simplex lock type safes as well that work too.

I like the Ft. Knox. It looks cool and it says "Ft. Knox" on it, like... uhhh... Ft. Knox....:)

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Thanks for the recommendations, but I ended up going with this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K20E8S8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's comparable to the Fort Knox at a slightly better price, made in America with solid reviews, ships free and will be here in a couple of days.

The research I did said to stay away from biometric and electrical locks in general because they usually have a standard keyed lock as a back-up, which is their weak point. The simplex lock on this model and the Fort Knox is fast and reliable. The weak point of the simplex lock is the relatively small number of combinations (1000+). I'm going to attach the box to the floor or to a nightstand, everything else is in a stand-alone safe. I may still get a Fort Knox pistol box for downstairs to stage the house so to speak. I've never had any formal training and could use the 2-day pistol course at Front Sight. I have plenty of vacation leave and just need to research legal transport and storage of a pistol and ammo to get to Nevada and a decent place to stay for a couple of days.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Fort Knox confirmed via email you can give the training certificate to whomever you like. In hindsight, besides the travel and lodging cost, in the current pandemic market, I imagine ammo would also be a significant cost for this 2-day class?

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I ended up getting a pistol case with a simplex lock,, I welded it to the bed frame,, they are taking the whole bed if they want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom