• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day when Pro Stock ran 10's , and Colonial Beach was 1/4 mile , the shut down area was the cornfield .

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Yea, I’m not sure, but last I heard The Wilson’s still owned it.

It's owned or was owned by the "Wilcom" family, I thought that they had sold that off years ago.
    I will check with one of the Wilcoms that I know, next time I see him.

Last edited:

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Yea, I’m not sure, but last I heard The Wilson’s still owned it.

It's owed or was owed by the "Wilcom" family, I thought that they had sold that off years ago.
    I will check with one of the Wilcoms that I know, next time I see him.

The Wilcoms apparently sold the adjoining farm land some time ago, but just recently sold the land the race track sits on within the past month or two.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Me and Buddy grudge match, his first time on a strip.

Attachments

• joeandgto.jpg
      joeandgto.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 305

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    The ownership of the property has been owned by SEVENTY FIVE & EIGHTY DRAGWAY INC for a long time. So maybe someone bought the Corp. ? May also be listed as 75-80 inc.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    *****I still have one of my Grand Nationals that is a very mild build and methanol injected with mostly bolt on parts but some chassis mods to handle a lot more HP and Torque. I never built this one up like the others and it is very streetable and driveable. It's a great sunny day car. It still has the original Powermaster brake setup but I've replaced the nitrogen ball and of course the factory leaky switch, etc... Works great for what it is.

I used to be a regular at 75/80 for test and tune back in the 90's so we could have the cars ready for Englishtown, Beech Bend, Bowling Green and other spots we took the cars for mostly GN versus Mustang grudge matches.

Really cool 75/80 is coming back. I hope it doesn't get shut down by the NIMBY liberals that have now moved into Urbana and Monrovia.

Some old and new pics of GN's I have or had and sold, etc.. I'd love to take my current one to the track and see how it does with such a mild build and a decently prepped track with VHT and my Nitto Drag Radials. I've done a high 1.5 60 ft on MT drags 26X10's using the foot brake with a pretty high boost launch but that was another car with a well dialed rear and adjustable rear arms, etc..

The final wheelstand pic was my friend Ricardo whose stock blocked GN with Champion heads, mini-tub, and proper 4 link suspension was a big hit back in the day. Generally speaking ya don't go fast doing a wheelstand in a race but it looks flippin' awesome for the crowds even though if ya screw up the landing it will take some time to replace suspension components and a bunch of other stuff that bends or breaks... Ricardo's wheelstand pic was a big hit and often used in posters for GN meets and GN/Mustang grudge matches, etc...

I'm glad I still have one of my cars, but it got stupid expensive to keep a pretty fast strip car going through a season, plus trailering, driving, tires, race gas, etc...

75/80 was a really cool venue back in the day...

Just a couple days ago, my wife was asking me what the heck car you were referring to the other day. She could not understand what a GNX was. So, I brought up a pic and her response was, "Ah, I know that car. Just did not know what it was called." Went on to show my two middle kids some burnouts and runs done by the GNX. Also let them know it was the Corvette killer back in my day and it would easily spoke my Mustang.

Those are some awesome pics. Thanks for that. Going to show my kids the pics later today.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Photo courtesy of Schipperke and it was taken on Monday, July 5th.

Looks like they still have some work to do over there, but nice to see cars are running on the track.

I agree with the others here, this is going to start a storm on Nextdoor from the McMansion owners that are not used to hearing finely tuned engines, not to mention the sound/smell of burning tires. lol

Attachments

• image000000_20210707_165346[1].jpg
      image000000_20210707_165346[1].jpg
      135.6 KB · Views: 290

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Looks like they still have some work to do over there, but nice to see cars are running on the track.

I agree with the others here, this is going to start a storm on Nextdoor from the McMansion owners that are not used to hearing finely tuned engines, not to mention the sound/smell of burning tires. lol

Amen to that, Fabs. During my Capitol Hill days we'd be lobbied by folks who complained about their neighbors. While we had to express concern for their plight, we could barely suppress our scorn for them until after they exited the meeting. You wanted to grab them by the lapel, give 'em a shake, and scream things like don't buy a home near the airport and complain to me about the noise, or near the sewage treatment plant and then complain about the smell...etc. Do you homework, including checking out who your new neighbors shall be!

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

****The launch pad looks to be in good shape! Thanks for the pic! I remember towards the end of the last cycle when they closed down that the track had a bit of a dip at about the 1/8th mile mark or so. Hope it hasn't gotten worse or has been fixed. Cars like mine with decent ground clearance and mild end trap speeds (under 120mph) would be fine but faster cars with much lower ground clearance definitely felt the hump.

I'll have to drive by and check the place out! It's not *that* far from my home and there is an awesome Waffle House nearby I used to go to. Drive by the track, and have an awesome pecan waffle with a cherry coke at Waffle House! Win/Win!!!

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Went to all the Bug on and Bug out races won the 2001 first place Pro class IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I drove by earlier and they have two dump trucks lined up on the track like they are getting ready to race. They have cleared the other side of the track of all brush, etc. That's great as it looks like they will open up the parking on that side as well.

Can't wait to hear the Friday night races.

CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    FYI. If I’m still at lake Anna I’m going to drive out. This is his group

Attachments

• 38B4E7B4-E894-417F-8EB8-A2C94131675F.jpg
      38B4E7B4-E894-417F-8EB8-A2C94131675F.jpg
      107.1 KB · Views: 232

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member