Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old July 13th, 2021, 11:05 AM #11

Any of the major hardbound Loading Manuals ( think Speer, Hornaday, RCBS, LEE , plus any edition of the Gun Digest Handbook of Reloading , but especially an edition written by Dean Grinnell ) are all comprehensive textbooks on the subject . Read and study the explanatory parts before ever looking at the actual data .

Or , the old school way , be tought by your Father .
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 11:23 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Any of the major hardbound Loading Manuals ( think Speer, Hornaday, RCBS, LEE , plus any edition of the Gun Digest Handbook of Reloading , but especially an edition written by Dean Grinnell ) are all comprehensive textbooks on the subject . Read and study the explanatory parts before ever looking at the actual data .

Or , the old school way , be tought by your Father .

To Biggfoot's spot on mention, Dean Grennell was (for sure) also the editor of the Second Edition of ABC's of Reloading, and may have edited other early editions as well. He had a writing style all his own, and was my favorite writer when I started to learn reloading.

Grennell is sadly long gone now, but his writing across many publications tended to be a worthwhile blend of wit, good humor, wisdom and common sense, with the latter being from back before the common sense term got perverted. Some of his writing may be dated today, but much of what he had to say is timeless. Do indeed treat yourself, if you happen to see some of his work.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 11:47 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper69 View Post
I've been thinking of showing a few guys who go to the range I use how to reload their ammo. They all have had a hard time finding factory ammo as we all have. Noone really taught me how to reload. I used videos and books/magazines to learn.
Seeing as how even the reloading equipment is hard to find and getting more and more expensive I'm kind of hesitant to try to teach them. Also I'm concerned about the danger they face if they do something wrong when trying to load on their own. A bad accident could happen if you do one thing wrong as you all know.
Have any of you tried to teach a newbie to reload?
You might want to have them check this out. I sympathize with the liability concerns. They have a small selection of presses and other reloading equipment that they use on display.

Edit: duuuuh, sorry. I just saw your location. My bad.

https://www.hafersguns.com/reloading/
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 11:59 AM #14

Opps , I meant " ABCs of Reloading " , and had a brain fart .

And for your further Historical Knowledge , Grinnell was Co- Inventor of the finally getting some respect .45 Super .

Tom Ferguson had the initial concept , Grinnell did all the ballistic development .

Tom Ferguson is another name for you . A mid tier gun writer in day , he was very wise and insightful , before dying too young from lead poisoning from his time as head Range Guy for San Antonio PD . ( Ferguson was the driving force for SAPD issuing .41 Mag back in the day .)
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 07:00 PM #15
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Yes , yes I have . But that's me , not telling you what to do .

But right now isn't a good time in any case , as Primers are harder to obtain than loaded ammo .
Small rifle primers have been popping up around here kinda frequently but yeah it isn't an ideal time to start reloading.
Striper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2021, 09:12 AM #16
Short Round

Short Round

Always Lots of Good Info

Reloading is both art, mechanical, math, machine work, and most of all attention to detail. I started reloading in 1975 and learned for a Master Chief Gunners Mate when I was a sea pup. I was stationed at the Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay, MD. He was the range master and took care of the range in the basement of building 70.

At that time you could use the range anytime after you went through range safety. Just sign in and start cracking rounds, clean up your brass and go. You could even check out a 45 from the armory however, you needed to provide your own ammo. The GMMC took a shine to me as I was in the range a couple times of the week. He asked If I would like to learn to reload to save money on ammo. I said yes and learned how to reload 45 auto, 30-06 and 12 gauge buck shot. His reach Uncle Sam had purchased all the equipment for him the only thing he to purchased was powder, primers and heads.

In todays world we have courses, videos, on line forums, and good people with lots of knowledge. To show someone else how to reload is a personal preference. With that choice in todays world, their could be repercussions both good and bad. So the only advice I can provide is it will be your choice and decision only, good luck.
Harrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2021, 10:43 AM #17
Let's Go Brandon!

Let's Go Brandon!

If I was going to do it I would get NRA Metallic Reloading instructor certification and have students sign waivers holding me harmless.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading