• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxmanb

Sep 30, 2012
    Hi All,

Theoretical question here. Lets say you acquired several firearms while married, and are now getting divorced. Your wife asks you for one, but it's a 80%. I'm thinking the right thing to do in that situation would be to have it serialized and transferred via MSP. Theoretically you "could" just give it to the other party, but would that leave you with some responsibility for what they do with it?

Thank you!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are ALL your firearms your own personal creations ?

A. Give her a store bought one instead .

B. Thru your lawyer of course , but retain the actual things that go bang , and adjust the other property divisions such as to maintain the ( agreed upon split percentage ) .

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Hi All,

Theoretical question here. Lets say you acquired several firearms while married, and are now getting divorced. Your wife asks you for one, but it's a 80%. I'm thinking the right thing to do in that situation would be to have it serialized and transferred via MSP. Theoretically you "could" just give it to the other party, but would that leave you with some responsibility for what they do with it?

Thank you!

I was like all the longaberger baskets are yours...
    The guns are mine...

That was the deal. ;)

Btw, She kept a gun. I kept a basket. :rolleyes::innocent0

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hi All,

Thank you!

What 80% ? They really arent that much. Since they are 80% really arent a firearm till finished even then dont need to be serialized. Squabbling over a piece of metal is ridiculous. Just give her cash for it or order another.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I'm assuming the 80% is now a 100%. If she machined it to 100% then she can keep it without any further interaction MSP. I am also assuming that only you and her know who machined it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My wife inherited her father’s guns. Her collection is worth vastly more than mine. I hope to get some of hers when she leaves me.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I’ve never been divorced, but something about handing an ex a gun is unsettling to me.

you've watched too many CNN, TV and celebrity divorces.

My ex didn't want guns in the house. That changed. She has the 380 I bought for her. We still talk. She is the one that mentioned she need to find a range and practice some. :innocent0;)

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My wife bought me a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible the first Christmas we were married, 1984. When the subject of "my guns" comes up she still says: One of them is mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom