• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I've had an ez pass for years and it auto loads more money when needed but two days ago I get an email saying hey your ez pass is about to reload. Well this is odd cuz we haven't been through a toll in a few weeks so I log in. EZ pass is now keeping a minimum of $55 in my account! WTF?!? I dont even know if I use that much in a year. Ridiculous

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I've had an ez pass for years and it auto loads more money when needed but two days ago I get an email saying hey your ez pass is about to reload. Well this is odd cuz we haven't been through a toll in a few weeks so I log in. EZ pass is now keeping a minimum of $55 in my account! WTF?!? I dont even know if I use that much in a year. Ridiculous

I drove up to Mass. a couple of years ago and used my EZ-Pass along the way. The costs on the NJ Turnpike, Mass. Turnpike and various other places caused my spending on tolls to jump which EZ-Pass determined to be my new normal. MD stated "holding" $50 in my account instead of the usual holding of $25. After 6 months of about $10 activity during that time they reduced their hold to $25.

Mr H

Banana'd

The revised system sends out additional emails. Now you have me thinking I need to check if they've been tweaking my balance...

I had originally set it up so it refreshes when the balance drops below $10, in $25 hits.

UPDATE: Just got an email 8/16, showed exactly what was expected, though my threshold is actually $15. GTG

Last edited:

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    What pisses me off is that they stopped emailing the bimonthly statements.

I submitted a ticket on this over a week ago and have heard nothing but crickets (they promise a 3 business day answer). :rolleyes:

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I drove across the Key Bridge a couple months ago, and assumed I'd get a bill in the mail. I haven't seen one. What should I do?

Sometime this spring I got a notice in the mail to pay for a Bay Bridge crossing. It took me a while to realize that this was from July of 2020 when I took the family to OC. I went across a couple weeks ago. Who knows when the bill will get here.

I got a bill from DC or something because I took a wrong turn and wound up on one of the toll roads. The fines are no joke. The bill was like $2 but because I farted around in paying it I got hit with like a $15 fine added to it.

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    When I pay cash for something and watch it leave my hand from my wallet, it's a tangeable moment that I consider what I have spent and what I have left. EZ pass sure make life convenient.....especially when rates are hiked or shifting or terms have changed or replenishments go up.....you don't have that tangeable moment anymore, don't even hear the sucking sound from your wallet.

Hmmmm.....Covid sure forces this slide of hand right down our throat conveniently after years of attempts to get people on board to "keep traffic moving."

Gosh, if it looks like a screwing and feels like a screwing, I'm probably being screwed.

What was it that a wise politic man once said: -"A crisis is a terrible thing to waste.......because it allows you to do things you couldn't normally do otherwise. " ???????

Hmmmmmmm

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    What pisses me off is that they stopped emailing the bimonthly statements.

I submitted a ticket on this over a week ago and have heard nothing but crickets (they promise a 3 business day answer). :rolleyes:

They still haven't answered my question. :mad54:

So much for 3 days.

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    From a customer service standpoint, EZ Pass has shaped themselves into an MVA 2. Brain dead thugettes without an appropriate inside voice.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Md just following other Commie States. Few years ago I had some dubious charges show up on my CC. Come to find out it was from a rental car company, seems I crossed a couple toll roads or bridge while driving around Seattle. IIRC it was only a month or two after I returned when the charges showed up.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    We don't have easypass, and were relying on the bill to show in the mail.
    The bills never show,, but the bill with the late fine DOES show up.

I now log on the "tag-toll" web site and check our tags every other week to pay the fee that never shows up in the mail,,

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    For MD, you can enter your license plate and check on toll road website and pay with credit card.

I have Delaware EZ pass and MD isn't giving me any discount.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    For MD, you can enter your license plate and check on toll road website and pay with credit card.

I have Delaware EZ pass and MD isn't giving me any discount.

I have a MD EZPass and get the discount, as a resident of DE.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I don’t know what kind of trouble I am asking for but, I swear: if I ever break my promise and DO return to MD while I’m still alive then, I’m stopping at one of the strip store parking lots before the Crain bridge and either affixing one of our old MD tags to the rear of whatever I’m driving temporarily (I have just the industrial grade adhesive backed Velcro strip in mind, as a matter of fact) or I’m using a strip of electrical tape to modify whatever tag is on what I’m driving. Then, pull off ASAP after passing through the toll and return everything to normal …

On second thought, I think I’ll get a plate made up that simply says, MDSVCKS and use that til I just get through the toll camera(s)!

If I am unlucky enough to go to court I won’t be able to use all the horror stories comprising this thread about how fvcked up and utterly Third World dysfunctional the MD state government bureaucracy has become as a defense but, the whole story will make a great national news blurb!

Liberal left Democrats are akin to cancer in a nation …

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    All the tolls, fees, and speed camera tickets are enough to get a person to take up bicycling, or at least play the part with a bike rack on the back of the car or in the hitch on a truck.:innocent0

MD's MVA is straight garbage. Had an ezpass back when I lived there and commuted through the tunnel daily, pretty much every statement had bogus charges, and a couple times a year I would get a photo of some random car with a bill, turned it in and just paid after that. When we moved to PA with 3 vehicles in my name, I paid extra to have a few days of overlapping insurance, got PA tags and insurance, turned in MD tags, got receipts, knew to expect problems so had my bases covered, or so I thought. Ended up getting a letter for $1500 in fines and a "suspended" MD license(switched to a PA license for months at that time). Insurance co had proof, I had proof, MVA said didn't matter must have taken the MVA a few days to actually process my returned tags, and their own receipt means nothing, need separate forms proving insurance any time their automated system flags for a lapse in coverage, insurance co sent every requested form to the MVA every couple months, but the letters kept coming. Ended up taking a lawyer from my insurance co to finally stop it(still not completely sure it's settled 13 years later) last letter before that was a $9,000 fine. So yea, F-them.

I had my own version of this about 5-6 years ago. I sold an old car and bought a new one, with plates turned in and insurance ended on the old car several days after it exchanged owners.

Got a MVA threat letter demanding fines and declaring my MD license suspended for having an unregistered automobile. Responded that the registration had been valid up through (and months past) the point of sale, and provided photocopies of the plate return receipt and sale documentation.

Got a MVA threat letter saying that the fines and suspended license are still in effect, because I did not turn in the MD tags. Responded that my last letter included a photocopy of the physical receipt, of MVA accepting the plates back.

Got a MVA threat letter saying that the fines and suspended license are still in effect, for not having insurance on the old car prior to selling it. Sent copies of documents showing that insurance was valid past the point of the car being sold. MVA said that it would only recognize inspection of original documents, requiring an in-person visit to a MVA office (Bel Air). At the Bel Air MVA office they said they would not accept any evidence of insurance from me, it had to come from directly my insurance company. Insurance company said it would fax or email the documentation over directly; Bel Air MVA office said it would not accept emailed documentation, and their fax machine is broken.

+1000 to State Farm, they sent an employee to walk the documentation in-person to the Bel Air MVA office, and wrestled a written acknowledgement of receipt from the MVA for the documentation. Later on the insurance company employee says they see this every so often, and it is a MVA shakedown since most individuals will just pay the MVA demand rather than involving a lawyer or getting help from the insurance company to fight the extortion.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Heard this reported on WTOP earlier today, results of an audit of the MD toll system.

The Maryland Transportation Authority, which operates toll facilities around the state, didn’t know it was overcharging motorists, a review by legislative auditors concluded.

Even after billing mistakes were flagged in December 2019, the authority conducted only “limited” reviews to determine the extent of the problem, according to the report.

Del. Al Carr (D-Montgomery), who has tracked MDTA issues, noted that period covered by the audit — May 10, 2016 to March 4, 2020 — ended long ago. He said the true scope of Maryland’s toll-collection problem goes deeper than the report uncovered.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/09/maryland-toll-authority-was-unaware-it-was-overcharging-motorists-audit-finds/

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    So, I am to believe that everyone going through a Corona toll plaza that does not have a manned cash accepting booth due to changes from the virus, is receiving a notice in the mail collecting a couple bucks.

You mean to tell me, all of the EZ Passless people are also relying on the incredibly unreliable US mail at getting them this magical bill. And, if they don't, they will acrue fines and penalties swelling said $4 bill to possibly hundreds of dollars over time if left unknowingly unpaid. And since there is a mechanism between EZ Pass and the rotten co-op that is the MVA, on top of all of this delinquency, registrations could be flagged on renewal.

I call BS and say EZ Pass holders are the only ones paying tolls.

What say you regarding this logistics cluster F?

Yep got hit up for two of them.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    I agree it looks like something is messed up in their systems.

I was just pulling receipts for taxes and reviewed all my 2020 EZ Pass statements. I found a couple charges from places we've never been. I also noticed many where posted to the account months after the supposed trip.

I still need to follow-up with them to find out what's going on.

This is Maryland working as intended I recently got a notice for traffic court for
    speeding ticket that is now 1 yr and 3 mnths old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom