• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That was always my understanding as well. Summer hunt with rifle up until bow season, then again after late muzzleloader. Maybe I always did it wrong, but I don’t think so.

Edit: found this on DNR site, rules regarding time frame are vague at best....
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/DMP_General-Conditions.pdf

The specified COMAR 08.04.03.02 is equally as vague, but both do reference the wearing of orange during specified hunting seasons, so it sounds feasible that it’s okay.
    This is straight from DNR representative Samantha Hopkins:
    ”A DMP is year round regardless of what hunting season is in. If you are shooting on a crop damage permit in archery season with anything other than archery equipment the deer needs to be checked in on your DMP permit number. If your hunting within the season with the appropriate weapon you can choose whether or not you want to check it in on your personal license or the permit. Keep in mind that if your permit is for antlerless deer only and you see an antlered deer while hunting with a shotgun during archery season, that will not work. Hopefully that clears things up!”

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The boys are starting to let em have it. If you got some Sika woods nows about the time to get it on if you can make it out. Late morning sniffing going on pretty frequently past couple days.

IMG_0546[7570].jpg

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Was picking my Sika up at Duck’s and they seemed busy. Had a bunch rolling in so seems to be on currently.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Shot an 8 pt last night (despite my night vision issues) 10 minutes before closing. No pictures because it is an absolute ghost. I tracked it with a friend almost a mile into a soy field; great blood trails right up until they just stopped. Went 5 hours total, with the last 2.5 trying to figure the evaporated blood trail. Nearest field edge was 1/4 mile from that spot. No more blood, no more tracks, and nothing on thermal. Back this morning and still nothing, to include buzzards.

Found the arrow and confirmed pass through, vitals hit, not a gut shot (all of which is what I observed in the scope). I’ve never just lost a blood trail in a dry farm field before. Debating whether it’s even worth it to continue the search after my kids football game today; based on the blood I’m confident he was dead last night while searching (big pools, some foamy, aspiration spots) and with this weather I can’t imagine even if double digit hours of searching finds it there would be useable meat left.

As an aside, always respect your crossbow. I’m not used to using cranks, but with this Ravin I am. I had precocked two hours before, forgot, and then proceeded to ready an arrow because I saw a hot spot on thermal. Crank handle freewheeled a dozen times before I took my thumb off the clutch, with a couple fingers taking a full force blow (yes, it really hurt/s). A relatively mild “hard way” lesson for hunting all things considered (and thankfully the design of the Ravin seems to have prevented any damage), but after consideration I’d rather share my embarrassment in the hopes someone benefits from the reminder!

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Shot an 8 pt last night (despite my night vision issues) 10 minutes before closing. No pictures because it is an absolute ghost. I tracked it with a friend almost a mile into a soy field; great blood trails right up until they just stopped. Went 5 hours total, with the last 2.5 trying to figure the evaporated blood trail. Nearest field edge was 1/4 mile from that spot. No more blood, no more tracks, and nothing on thermal. Back this morning and still nothing, to include buzzards.

Found the arrow and confirmed pass through, vitals hit, not a gut shot (all of which is what I observed in the scope). I’ve never just lost a blood trail in a dry farm field before. Debating whether it’s even worth it to continue the search after my kids football game today; based on the blood I’m confident he was dead last night while searching (big pools, some foamy, aspiration spots) and with this weather I can’t imagine even if double digit hours of searching finds it there would be useable meat left.

As an aside, always respect your crossbow. I’m not used to using cranks, but with this Ravin I am. I had precocked two hours before, forgot, and then proceeded to ready an arrow because I saw a hot spot on thermal. Crank handle freewheeled a dozen times before I took my thumb off the clutch, with a couple fingers taking a full force blow (yes, it really hurt/s). A relatively mild “hard way” lesson for hunting all things considered (and thankfully the design of the Ravin seems to have prevented any damage), but after consideration I’d rather share my embarrassment in the hopes someone benefits from the reminder!

What thermal are you using?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021

Deer can be lost with shotguns too. Sometimes slugs don't expand. When the fat closes over the wound it can be hella hard to track them. rip. sorry for your loss. redemption deer tastes sweet tho.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Decided to go have a sit on public land. Didn't even break out the tree stand. Grabbed the folding chair and bow and headed to my favorite spot. Wasn't expecting much. But I did bring out a pair of antlers from last year's kill. I hopped on the call, rattled, and waited.

I get antsy easily so I stood up to have a stretch after about an hour of sitting. Without effing fail, after I stood up to stretch my back with a couple torso rotations, I felt it. Buck was staring at me, so I immediately froze. Of course the bow was out of reach, so all I could do is hope it doesn't dart. It didn't jet, so I thought I was in the clear. The trees are thick, and I figured as soon as his head is behind the tree I can drop my phone (lol, I know, I know) and grab my bow. That kinda worked, but when I finally had the bow up and aimed, he was quartering to with his front leg and head barely visible with the rest behind an oak. I just needed him to take one more step. Wasn't happening, because now I had his full attention. He stepped backwards, turned, and was off. Son. Of. A. Bitch. Kicked myself for my short attention span.

I decided to rattle one more time in hopes of bringing the decent sized 4 pointer back. Bow in hand. The woods had my full attention. Not 5 minutes later, this scrawny 2 pointer came bebopping by. 20 yard chip shot...
    avkzriC.jpeg

And I take back the scrawny part after dragging this SOB a half a mile.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Decided to go have a sit on public land. Didn't even break out the tree stand. Grabbed the folding chair and bow and headed to my favorite spot. Wasn't expecting much. But I did bring out a pair of antlers from last year's kill. I hopped on the call, rattled, and waited.

I get antsy easily so I stood up to have a stretch after about an hour of sitting. Without effing fail, after I stood up to stretch my back with a couple torso rotations, I felt it. Buck was staring at me, so I immediately froze. Of course the bow was out of reach, so all I could do is hope it doesn't dart. It didn't jet, so I thought I was in the clear. The trees are thick, and I figured as soon as his head is behind the tree I can drop my phone (lol, I know, I know) and grab my bow. That kinda worked, but when I finally had the bow up and aimed, he was quartering to with his front leg and head barely visible with the rest behind an oak. I just needed him to take one more step. Wasn't happening, because now I had his full attention. He stepped backwards, turned, and was off. Son. Of. A. Bitch. Kicked myself for my short attention span.

I decided to rattle one more time in hopes of bringing the decent sized 4 pointer back. Bow in hand. The woods had my full attention. Not 5 minutes later, this scrawny 2 pointer came bebopping by. 20 yard chip shot...
    avkzriC.jpeg

Nice! Might be small, but doesn’t look scrawny. He looks well feed to me.

I’ve yet to have any success with calling. I haven’t tried rattling though. Though I don’t tend to try calling much. And when I do it’s either in my reasonably busy rural residential property on 4.5 acres. Though my back woods creek runs all the way down in to the park a few properties down and deer tend to bed on my neighbor’s in the bamboo there during the day. Or on public land.

At least for now I plan to hit public land for early muzzleloader this year. Probably going to just bring my tripod stool and hunt the ground. At least for Thursday morning. No chance to scout this year and I’ve been “disappointed” in the past when I’ve hauled my stand in, climbed up and day breaks and I realized I can’t see sheep from there. Guess I shoulda scouted…

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Nice! Might be small, but doesn’t look scrawny. He looks well feed to me.

I’ve yet to have any success with calling. I haven’t tried rattling though. Though I don’t tend to try calling much. And when I do it’s either in my reasonably busy rural residential property on 4.5 acres. Though my back woods creek runs all the way down in to the park a few properties down and deer tend to bed on my neighbor’s in the bamboo there during the day. Or on public land.

At least for now I plan to hit public land for early muzzleloader this year. Probably going to just bring my tripod stool and hunt the ground. At least for Thursday morning. No chance to scout this year and I’ve been “disappointed” in the past when I’ve hauled my stand in, climbed up and day breaks and I realized I can’t see sheep from there. Guess I shoulda scouted…
    :beer:

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    My dad got this 8 pt last evening just before dark. Weighed 205 lbs on the hoof. Biggest deer he's ever shot.

Attachments

• dad.jpg
      dad.jpg
      116.4 KB · Views: 229

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

avkzriC.jpeg

But how many squirrels did you see?

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Let's go boys. Early muzzle opens in a little over 8 hours. My 13 man club only has 2 guys here for this season... Lame

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom