• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have both, a 15-22, well, a couple, and a HiPoint 995. Since you don't hunt and have other tools for defense, I would definitely get a 15-22. I love them. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier to take down and clean than the HiPoint. Both have lifetime warranties. The 15-22 is cheaper to shoot, lighter, more ergonomic, just more fun. Mine shoots the cheapest, crappiest crap just fine. I haven't had any issues with my 995, but it is more of a utility gun, whereas the 15-22, while it could hunt small game, it is just plain fun. If you can only get 1, get a 15-22. I have had a Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60 & 795, Chiappa Rak-22, ATI M4-22, and the 15-22 was my favorite.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Get the S&W 15-22. Not a bad entry price point and patterned on the AR-15, so a nice trainer for the manual of operations. Ammo is cheaper to shoot, and easy to use a wide array of optics/sights. It's a lightweight gun, and with the adjustable stock, is ideal to bring to the range for smaller stature shooters.

The Hi-Point may be reliable, but it's a bottom-end pistol caliber carbine. Trigger is mushy and ammo will cost more. I'd rather be shooting that ammo out of a handgun or other platform.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The 15-22 is cool, decently well designed and made. IMO it's the way to go between those 2. The Hi-point was relevant years ago before the PCC boom, but it's a flimsy cheap carbine with a moronic single stack mag, crappy trigger and hard slappy recoil. The Ruger PCC is lightyears better, as is any AR9, could even make a case for the Keltec sub2000. 9mm PCCs are all about mag compatibility, GLOCK 33rd or any G26,19,17 mag gives you the most options. Could also do an Ar15 lower with 9mm upper and endomags or adapter and glock/colt mags, and 9mm buffer, pretty nice to use a familiar AR15 in 9mm. For that matter you can build or buy a CMMG pattern AR22 upper which has a lot of advantages over the 15-22.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wife's nephew owns a S&W 15-22 and loves it. Another one to think about is the Winchester Wildcat semi-auto 22 LR that takes Ruger 10/22 mags and is also a great value. For a PCC, I do own an AR 9 and they are a hoot to shoot. The AR9 is not as loud as a 16" barrel AR but has the same manual of arms. And yes, you really will probably end up buying both.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    I enjoy our 15-22 on a regular basis, if we have a new (or young) shooter going to the range with us, I always bring it and let them shoot it first. Easy to operate, safety is simple, and it is a good starter, young folks love the AR look, and moms appreciate the low recoil. Everyone should have some sort of AR-22 in their collection, and M&P is as good as any other.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I’d get the 22 except in a Tippman. Most AR accessories or upgrade parts may be ised on them.

I am counter culture on the PCC concept. I've tried to get excited about them but ot never lasts. My experience has been you get very similar utility with the same rainbow trajectory after not much increase in practical range. The one caveat is the PCC can be proficiently shot extremely fast - no one can argue that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So far everyone has given the wrong answer!!!

The correct answer is buy both of them.

DUH, of COURSE.

And add in a nice .22 bolt rifle.

And a 10/22 or two or three.

One thing with the 15-22 is. You can add an AR9 and have familiarity with operation. And add an AR15 and again, same operation.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I have the M&P 15-22 decent gun. I also have the Tippman M4.22 Elite.
    The Tippman has a real AR-15 feel, all aluminum. It rarely has a FTF. I think the accuracy is about the same. The con of the Tippman is the magazine, you have to depress a button to bring the real magazine up out of the case to load it. I picked both up at Duffy's.
    Both good guns , just my opinion.
    If I would have to pick between the 2, the Tippman would be my choice.

I'd take the 15-22 over the Tippman. The S&W mags are GREAT. My 10/22 (16" GM barrel with fire sights, custom "stuff") used to be my favorite .22....not anymore. The box stock 15-22 is more fun. It goes on every single range trip.

Did I say the mags are great?

davidg

Mar 19, 2019
    The MP 15/22 is a nice gun, haven't had any problems with mine. The ruger 10/22 is also a good option, especially if you like customize it. Lots of options for it. My Tactical Solutions x-ring is my favorite 22 rifle so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom