• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Cleaning guns after shooting just comes with the territory. I'll normally just shoot one type when I go out for an afternoon, so the requisite cleaning afterwards doesn't become a chore.

It's very rare for me to postpone a gun cleaning until the following day. Dirty guns do not belong in a safe.

Lack of attention to prompt gun maintenance is indicative of; and can be behaviorally cascaded towards neglecting other unrelated responsibilities in life.

I'd venture to guess that most veterans feel pretty uneasy about taking uncleaned guns out for shooting. I shot last week w/ handguns that hadn't been cleaned after the last range trip and I felt a little scuzzy about it. lol

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Can't go wrong by cleaning your firearms after shooting. I always do. I like mine kept in tip top shape.

A spotless gun doesn't mean it's in tip top shape. Most wear comes from scrubbing.

People overclean bores and pay too little attention to proper lubrication of the action. Clean the bore when groups start opening up. Just foam in some wipe out, let it drip out of the muzzle onto something like a paper plate/paper towels for a couple hours, then run some patches with a good rod from chamber to bore until they come out clean. Repeat if necessary, but actual time spent cleaning is negligible...most is you off doing something else while the Wipeout does its thing.

Meanwhile, just wiping down the action to remove most of the crud and then lubing with some kind of halfway decent lube is good enough. Eezox or rust prevent on anything outside that may rust for storage.

Scrubbing them spotless every range trip just isn't needed. You then need to refoul the bore again before getting back to consistent shots. Once the groups open up again, repeat cleaning.

This is correct. I had to explain the fouling part to a friend of mine that was wondering why his groups were all over the place. I told him to stop listening to the old moron at IWL.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I don't mind doing it, but I don't disassemble and clean after every shooting... maybe every 3-4 outings with a gun. After a light day on the range, I squirt some gun scrubber in the action and down the barrel.... wipe a couple of patches through, and wipe it down with some Ballistol.... quick and easy... especially if you took a bunch of toys out.

soco

May 21, 2012
    I'm a mechanical guy by nature, and half of my fascination with firearms comes from the fact that they are such intricately tooled devices. I do like Bullfrog does. Sometimes, in the dead of winter on a dreary, boring day, I'll haul everything out and just take it apart, clean it, put it back together, function check it and wipe it down. I usually inspect everything at least once a year (make sure I didn't miss a fingerprint on some bluing that is beginning to eat through it).

I find it quite enjoyable.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I do the bare minimum. Unless I’m taking out a collectible gun. Doesn’t take long at all.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The worst is going hunting in the rain and never firing your gun and still having to clean it after the hunt.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I think most people go overboard on cleaning. I wipe down and re lube the critical and easy to reach surfaces after every range trip. Once per year I will reorganize my safe and tear my guns apart in an all day clean, partly to check and mitigate any small amount of rust that may sneak up on my guns from sitting in a safe. And yes, I have internal dehumidifiers.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Milsurps, clean bore, Barricade wipe put, clean bolt face then put away after looking at any grease on the bolt(cause it may be another year before they are taken out).
    More common rifles I just bore snake it w/ hops before the brush and barricade in the last couple inches.
    AR bore snake again, lube if necessary.
    Any "home protection" firearm SHTF AR etc I give a little more time on). I just find that over time, inspecting the action on the bench becomes easier to know how much work you need to do to it.

I have a Kimber 1911 that with my reloads, the powder is very dirty. But its accurate as all hell. Dont' mind the cleaning cause I know it functions well and is worth the effort.

Speaking of running dirty, my Browning Buckmark I routinely get over 1000 rounds before It needs a cleaning because of a functional failure. I think I have about 4000+ rounds though it now. Every time except once that I cleaned it was because it just looked dirty and not cause it was mis feeding or ejecting wrong.

DONT LIKE CLEANING? do not get into real black powder muzzle loaders....... :)

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    *house is a mess, trash and hoarder level crap everywhere* *immaculate unused gun collection*

“I hate cleaning my guns”

Last edited:

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I hate cleaning them but it is necessary. The ones I clean up upon returning home are my bolt guns firing corrosive ammo. No corrosive ammo in gas guns.

I wish there was a gun detailer that made house calls. :)

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    nice

As someone else mentioned, I find it relaxing. Sit at the workbench, listen to some music by Female Fronted Metal Bands and maybe sip on a beer.

awesome. Funny, I have been getting into Japanese all female bands like Band Maid, etc...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP has 2.75 options :

1. Enjoy the process of cleaning , as just another intregal part of the overall experience

2. Clean them when they actually need cleaning .

2.5. Readjust your concept of cleaning . A quick patch thru the bore , and quick external wipe down each time , and full blown cleansing as needed .

2.75 As pbharvey observed , tending after exposure , be it hunting in rain & snow , carry guns exposed to either weather or heavy sweat , etc IS important , and needs doing same day .

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I am beginning to hate it too. Ruger 22/45 is ridiculous to reassemble. Revolvers are hell. Semi’s not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom