• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I can CCW my G17 in shorts and a t-shirt without printing. Not saying it’s the first choice but is possible with the right belt and holster combo.

I mean, I suppose I could too, but it’s not comfortable at all.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I mean, I suppose I could too, but it’s not comfortable at all.

Actually not too bad for me. My sweet spot is at about 2:45 with a nice amount of cant. Grip disappears nicely along the body line. Again the belt and holster are the key.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I hear ya. I've got a few boxes of Cor-Bon 90gn JHP and Underwood 90gn Extreme Penetrator on the shelf. Both are probably similar really-hot loads as the Buffalo Bore -- I'm pretty sure above SAAMI specs.

The reason those are going to continue just sitting on my shelf (well, maybe until SHTF) is that they pretty-much battered the slide to pieces on my Bersa Thunder 380CC (got the slide replaced under Bersa warranty). I realize the Bersa is probably not as over-engineered as the G42, but I'd prefer to stick with non-"+P" ammo (realizing there's no such thing for .380), and within recommended limits for hand-loads...
    I only run the BB in my Walther PPK , it seems to handle it okay and it's not really a range gun so it doesn't get abused. They also do offer standard pressure 380.
    Below is a quote from their website on the use a .380" for a defensive round.

" Here's the problem:

The current 380 auto frangible ammo delivers a large amount of surface trauma but lacks serious penetration. For example, if you shot me or another sane man in the face with modern frangible 380 ammo, it would blow off a big portion of my cheek and send a few teeth down my throat, I would undoubtedly fall to the ground in shock and pain, but I would be very much alive and functional if I could get past the shock and pain as that frangible bullet would have stopped somewhere inside my face, never making it to my brain. However, if you shot a drugged up maniac in the face with that same frangible 380 ammo and blew half his cheek off, he would keep right on coming because he is insane and is not thinking like you or I. Plus, he is likely pain free and fear free and won't know that half his cheek is missing and if he did know, he would not care. So whatever 380 ammo you shoot him in the face with, had better go through his face and blow his brain stem out the back of his head, because only a CNS (central nervous system) hit with a 380 is going to stop him. Likewise, a torso hit to the sternum needs to penetrate deep enough to blow all the way through his spine in order to shut him down spontaneously. If you fail to shut him down instantly, you and your loved ones are going to have to find a way to survive while you wait for him to bleed out and pass out. The best chance of survival for you and your family is to shut down the attacker instantly. So, we've designed a few 380 auto standard pressure loads to keep you and your loved ones alive under the worst of scenarios."

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Carrying isn't comfy.

That being said, I laugh people who think a spare mag is really for the extra rounds.

Right... and I laugh at all the people that think they're going to be in some sort of multi-mag-dump gun fight as they shop at Wal-Mart.

"errr maaa guuud ma gun gonna jam and I need to drop/swap mags errrrrr"... like seriously? how about just carry a good gun. I've fired thousands of rounds through my carry pistols, never once had a "bad magazine" cause a malfunction.

But you do you bro.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Actually not too bad for me. My sweet spot is at about 2:45 with a nice amount of cant. Grip disappears nicely along the body line. Again the belt and holster are the key.

I suppose I'm probably just not wide enough to have a full size just disappear on my waist line. Visually to others, I can do it sure, but I still just don't like the comfort of it (compared to my sub-compacts).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Right... and I laugh at all the people that think they're going to be in some sort of multi-mag-dump gun fight as they shop at Wal-Mart.

"errr maaa guuud ma gun gonna jam and I need to drop/swap mags errrrrr"... like seriously? how about just carry a good gun. I've fired thousands of rounds through my carry pistols, never once had a "bad magazine" cause a malfunction.

But you do you bro.
    Shed some of your experience on us here.
    Thanks.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Hibs. Stop PMing me.

Hey guy, you’re the one who replied to this thread with insults (then tried to go back and edit them out). I simply messaged you and told you that you know nothing about it. Please take your tough guy act elsewhere, I’m not interested in your d!ck measuring contest.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hey guy, you’re the one who replied to this thread with insults (then tried to go back and edit them out). I simply messaged you and told you that you know nothing about it. Please take your tough guy act elsewhere, I’m not interested in your d!ck measuring contest.
    Stop PMing me your tough guy shit.

I told you to get some education and training because of your ignorant comment about carrying extra mags, then took it out, but then you just decide to fvcking roll on.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland

I told you to get some education and training because of your ignorant comment about carrying extra mags, then took it out, but then you just decide to fvcking roll on.

Me stop PMing YOU with tough guy shit? I think you are getting delusional, Joe.

Let's have a quick recap. Your response to my comment:

Blaster229 said:
    Carrying isn't comfy.

That being said, I laugh at you for thinking a spare mag is really for the extra rounds.

Get some training and educate yourself. :rolleyes:

I then PM'd you (so as to not clutter the thread)

Hibs said:
    Get some training and educate myself? ROFL... you don't even know me nor any of my qualifications. Just sit down please.

Then you go on with:

Blaster229 said:
    So tell us, superhero.

And I told you in PM and on here:

Hibs said:
    You can find someone else to have a dick measuring contest with. I’m not interested.

So how is it again, that I won't stop with the tough guy shit? It's literally the contrary. Please take your old retired LEO pompous ass attitude out of here.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland

It's no worries bro, a simple difference of opinions. Let us let it die. No need to drag it out any further. :thumbsup:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I suppose I'm probably just not wide enough to have a full size just disappear on my waist line. Visually to others, I can do it sure, but I still just don't like the comfort of it (compared to my sub-compacts).

It’s more about the quality of the belt and holster than it is about the size of the gun from what I’ve found in my limited experience so far.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Man, this thread has gotten out of hand. Jeez, people...

I was originally posting about what kinds of commercial ammo works in a Glock 42. With a bit about hand-loads to do the same.

I don't know how we got onto the subject of EDC... But I agree (with Hibs) that comfort is important. I use OWB holsters these days; yes, for comfort -- with an untucked shirt.

I've got a 2009 VW GLI with pretty-tightly bolstered leather sets. I've tried to carry my Sig P228 while driving in it, and it's just impossible as far as comfort. Plus the P228 starts wearing depressions in the leather bolsters. Plus the P228, much as I love it, is pretty heavy.

I'm not a tiny guy (about 5'10" and 200 lb)... But I also find it impossible, at least in summer, to keep the P228 from printing. So that's why I carry a sub-compact 9mm (P290RS).

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I don't know how we got onto the subject of EDC... But I agree (with Hibs) that comfort is important. I use OWB holsters these days; yes, for comfort -- with an untucked shirt.
    Do you own an actual gun belt, because they make a world of difference for carrying. You get proper support from the belt, instead of needing to tighten your belt past the comfort level. I've got side nice IWB holsters that are very comfortable with a gun belt.

I've got a Kore Essentials "western" belt with a kydex insert that really does a nice job spreading the weight. That said, the smaller and lighter the gun, the more comfortable and easy to conceal it is.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Do you own an actual gun belt, because they make a world of difference for carrying.

Oh, yes, indeed. :party29: I had no idea before, how much the support (and comfort) of a proper gun belt gives.

In fact, I own several -- Nexbelt and Kore Essentials. Unfortunately the buckles don't interchange.

I wear one all day every day. My leather OWB holster has belt snaps of the correct size, and my mag pouch has a clip; so they're pretty easy to clip on and off when I go out.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Man, this thread has gotten out of hand. Jeez, people...

I was originally posting about what kinds of commercial ammo works in a Glock 42. With a bit about hand-loads to do the same.

I've got a 2009 VW GLI with pretty-tightly bolstered leather sets. I've tried to carry my Sig P228 while driving in it, and it's just impossible as far as comfort. Plus the P228 starts wearing depressions in the leather bolsters. Plus the P228, much as I love it, is pretty heavy.

I'm not a tiny guy (about 5'10" and 200 lb)... But I also find it impossible, at least in summer, to keep the P228 from printing. So that's why I carry a sub-compact 9mm (P290RS).

Ya now that it's almost sweatshirt weather, I'll likely be rocking some OWB holsters covered up. I'm too skinny to try that in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom