• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Well, I am glad you chimed in,, you made me look again at BA,, they have some barrels I did not see before.

Whats your thoughts on the Faxon match heavy fluted S.S. Barrel? will it run into accuracy issues running bulk 5.56 through it?

Writing composition is not my strong point. :sad20:

BA and faxon run bulk FMJ just fine. The main difference between a Faxon and something like a Shilen tends to be small differences that help make them more consistent over a wider range of conditions. Tends to spec more consistently, less group shift with heat, and at least for me, they shoot everything well. Not to say Faxon isn't good, it is, but seems groups open up more with smaller changes in conditions. Now compared to cheap stuff like BCA, it might have spec issues or not group all that great from the start. Even so a 4" plate at 300yds is tough, will probably need a good build with match ammo reguardless of the barrel.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for the reality check :)
    The finger is "OK", but could use some work.
    Setting up an Aero lower with an ACT trigger,, topped with a BCM upper with 1-6 Vortex,, I am just trying to figure out the barrel (and hand guard)

This AR stuff is all new to me,,

Faxon barrels are fine with "standard" ammo. In fact I run steel and get surprisingly good results. Bear in mind there is a lot more than the barrel involved, like your finger, a good trigger, and a good scope.

You are basically asking for 1moa rifle (4" at 300 yards), which not a "basic" loadout.

edit: just to be clear you are not getting 1 moa from any barrel with bulk 556. Maybe pre pandemic you could find some cheap 223/556, my Faxon happened to like some cheap 62gr factory loads, but post Wu Flu its unlikely. I'd guess you'll get 1.5-2 moa with bulk steel.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    One of my earlier builds rocks a DEZ Arms HBAR and it actually shoots incredibly well.

They’re a little known shop and they lap their barrels. Most are nitride treated and come with an 11 degree target crown.

Only issue for some is that they tend to favor the 1:9 twist and carbine length gas systems in their 16in barrels.

I’ve shot MOA in it with 77gr OTM at 100 yards, but I wasn’t able to test it to further distances where it may be prone to destabilizing.

Shoots lights out with most 55gr loads and lighter.

They make a bunch of HBARS and offer fluting as well.

https://www.shop.deztacticalarms.com/556-223-Caliber_c124.htm

Regarding the previous question, I have no personal experience with Faxon, simply because I’ve never been able to get my hands on one of their fluted HBARS. They seem mostly unobtanium.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks,
    signed up for notifications,, h
    Hows 1/7 twist with Bulk 62 grain M855 ?

It does fine but I'm neither an "operator" nor "tactical". It is a utilitarian barrel that throws 55 and 62 well. I think I got mine for $129 a couple of years ago but, like everything else, the price went up. Good luck in your search and I hope your finished rifle exceeds your expectations.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"m a Faxon fan too. But my 223 Faxon is 10.5"

hit a 4" gong at 300 yards how often :) Each shot from the bench? 50%? 75%?
    Ammo will make a difference and each different brand or box you use will center in a different spot at 300 yards.

I got LUCKY with a cheap AR upper parts kit from Radical Arms. HBAR Does 1MOA w/ 69gr SMK reloads

And your going to need a good light trigger. Prone from a tripod or from a bench at least front support.
    Decent glass too.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Thanks for the reality check :)
    The finger is "OK", but could use some work.
    Setting up an Aero lower with an ACT trigger,, topped with a BCM upper with 1-6 Vortex,, I am just trying to figure out the barrel (and hand guard)

This AR stuff is all new to me,,

Wouldn't be my first choice. Larue MBT is better, lighter, and only about $25 more.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    btw, just to put your 4"target at 300 yards in perspective, an IPSC/USPSA competition A zone target is 6x11. IDPA down zero target is 10". The headshot area in USPSA/IPSC is 2x4". In IDPA its 6x6"

A headshot... at 300 yds... for a new shooter... is hard. Even an A zone hit at 300 yards is hard. It can even be challenging for experienced shooters.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I’ve considered picking up a few ballistic advantage heavy barrels just for spares or future assembly’s myself.

Great barrels for what you pay in my opinion.

I got one of their government profile barrels in an upper I bought from them last year.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I just saw BA has a flash sale on their site - 20% off Barrels

I’ve considered picking up a few ballistic advantage heavy barrels just for spares or future assembly’s myself.

Great barrels for what you pay in my opinion.

I got one of their government profile barrels in an upper I bought from them last year.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I'll go counter culture and suggest Rock River Arms barrels. Just another choice in the sea of available brands. Two for two on the RRA barrels I have a definitely good shooters, both are HBAR. One is 20" on the Standard A2 it was born to and the other a 16" I built on an upper. Sometimes you can get them for a good price on the RRA website. In this market, which appears much more reasonable now than and 10 months ago, who knows.

I have a Delton middy HBAR barrel that shoots very well and know of two others that have same make barrels that shoot well. Whatever your choice ends up being, hope it all works out well.

Both of these brands have been consistent and accurate out to 200 meters which is the longest I have shot them during multi-gun matches. Targets were torso plates...no problem. 10" and 12" steel rounds...better be on. I missed, not the guns. So a 4" plate at 300 yards, that is match level precision...you need a good scope, have good form, and good ammo.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Attachments

• rifle-556-spikes-dissipator.jpg
      rifle-556-spikes-dissipator.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 155

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I'll go counter culture and suggest Rock River Arms barrels. Just another choice in the sea of available brands. Two for two on the RRA barrels I have a definitely good shooters, both are HBAR. One is 20" on the Standard A2 it was born to and the other a 16" I built on an upper. Sometimes you can get them for a good price on the RRA website. In this market, which appears much more reasonable now than and 10 months ago, who knows.

I have a Delton middy HBAR barrel that shoots very well and know of two others that have same make barrels that shoot well. Whatever your choice ends up being, hope it all works out well.

Both of these brands have been consistent and accurate out to 200 meters which is the longest I have shot them during multi-gun matches. Targets were torso plates...no problem. 10" and 12" steel rounds...better be on. I missed, not the guns. So a 4" plate at 300 yards, that is match level precision...you need a good scope, have good form, and good ammo.

2nd for rock river. Shipping is still a bit slow, but I got a standard carry handle A2 and it's a real tack driver with whatever I put through it. RRA fills a nice niche between "better than delton" and not way overpriced.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for the heads up.
    While I "See" a HBAR barrel, it is not listed as such,, so not valid for MD,, also the do not list details like twist,, weight etc.
    Price is good at $75,, but useless for MD ?
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=262

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Elsewhere on the site you’ll see that profile listed as HBAR. I bought that same barrel as the assembly pictured about with the fsb.

Send them an email. For that price I might buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom