What Are Your Favorite 22LR Rifle Scopes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just curious what 22LR scopes have worked out well for you, whatever the price or use case.

I like the Vortex Diamondback 2-7X35 which works for me out to 100 yards for general shooting / plinking.

Another one I like is the Vortex Crossfire 4-12X40. Heavier scope but bright and plenty of magnification and an adjustable objective for parallax setting. Good for informal target shooting.

Finally, there's the Nikon 3-9X40 Prostaff rimfire, another good plinker if you find one as these are no longer made.

I have had good results from all three of these.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I prefer a red dot on my 10/22. I use a Bushnell TRS-25 and have had no problems with it. My gun is just a fun plinker. If I were to do competitive shooting then a nice scope would be needed. My gun is very accurate out to 100yds. When I want dead on accuracy I use my CZ457 Varmint with a Vortex Viper 4x16x50. I hit dimes all day at 50yds. and just about quarters at 100yds.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Leupold 6X HBR with target knobs and AO. That is what I have on mine. Some of the older rifles still have the original vintage 4X scope though.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I just switched from the Diamondback 2-7 to a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9.

I just didn't like the eye box or eye relief on the diamondback. I couldn't use it above 5X without the the image getting blurry.

I'm actively looking for a deal on a Athlon 6-24 BTR gen2 to put on my CZ 457. I'm going to try shooting it out to 200yds.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a Leupold 3x9 rimfire on my Kimber 82 sporter that I really like, clear and bright.
    I have a Weaver T24 on my BSA International MKIII but that's pretty much only for target ( I did shoot a groundhog with it, pretty much what part of the eye do I want to hit him).
    I put a Weaver 2x7 rimfire on my BRNO Model 5, that is a good scope for the money, but Weaver is out of production now.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I like the Leopold VX-Freedom 3-9x 33 with AO (adjustable objective for parallax) ...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102031591

It's sharp, clear, lightweight, and with a good eyebox. The Winchester Wildcat below has one. The matte finish matches the rifle.

I do miss their glossy 2-7x and 3-9x scope offerings like the one on the Browning T-Bolt below. They only seem to have a glossy 4x rimfire scope these days.

Clearidge had an alternative for a little while (a glossy 3-9x with AO for rimfire), but they don't have much inventory these days (only see a silver bodied AO rimfire scope on their website).
    3ff83d5718dad0488083ede3e0863250.jpg
    015f72657d82981424e23e667d9ff142.jpg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I just didn't like the eye box or eye relief on the diamondback. I couldn't use it above 5X without the the image getting blurry.

The Diamondbacks have a less forgiving eye relief then the less expensive Crossfire line. I almost got a Crossfire instead of a Diamondback for that reason. But it's not really bad until you get to the 9X and higher Vortex scopes IMHO.

I have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10X40 that I am not happy with (not on a 22LR). The glass is not particularly bright and the parallax is fixed at 150 yards. I do hear really good things about the VX-Freedom scopes from the rank and file here on MDS though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Midway BSA Tactical 4-14x on my CZ455 VPT. This seems to be the same scope as the Primary Arms and Mueller.

I ended up with the Leupold on a 10/22 takedown. I am a big Vortex fan, but found I just preferred the Leupold more.

I have Simmons scopes on a few other .22 rifles. Not rimfire versions, but full sized scopes. But these are Simmons from the 80s and 90s, when I think they made a better scope.

And on my first ever rifle, a Marlin 99C, I have a Weaver V22 scope. :D

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have a lot of rimfire scopes for Appleseed.

AO Rimfire scope-wise, I would rate:

1. Clearidge UltraRM
    2. Weaver
    3. Nikon Prostaff

My newest rimfire scope is a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7 (https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-2-7x33-rimfire-moa-riflescope). I have that on a takedown and really like it - very balanced in terms of size, glass quality, magnification range, eye relief, cost, and reticle for holdovers.

I have a couple Primary Arms 6X Classics. Very versatile. Glass is not the brightest, but have used effectively to 200 yards. Great for the price.

Also have a Primary Arms 1-6 22LR ACSS scope - glass and illumination are great but it is very heavy for a 22 with a limited magnification range.

I also have 3 Nikon 3X P223s - they were my favorite compact, lightweight, simple, flexible eye relief scopes. But one of them now has a reticle issue...and Nikon is out of the scope support business :(

And finally have an older Bushnell 3-9 that has been very serviceable!

Thwack22

Aug 8, 2012
    NoVa
    Depends on the application and budget for me. I have a Nikon rimfire BDC that is great for plinking, and for precision tactial the Athlon and Vortex lines have a number of excellent scopes. A new brand in the tactical arena is Arken - great value under $500. I've also heard good things about Sightron for benchrest and of course Leupold has a great line of optics, especially for hunters.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I have a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33mm EFR scope on my left handed CZ 452 american 22lr which clears the bolt throw from CZ.

I bought a Nikon Tactical Rimfire 2-7x32 matte BDC150 but that can't use on my CZ 452 due to bolt throw. Maybe I'll put it on my Ruger 10/22?

But I also bought the Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9mmx3mm EFR which is replace the original VX-II, so I'll probably but that one on my Ruger 10/22 and see how the newer one compares to the older model.

I want to try out both my rimfires for Appleseed shooting matches.

Forgot to add that I also have two Leupold VX-I 4x28mm scopes as well

Last edited:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Bug Buster for the 10/22 Takedown. Fits in the carry case without removing the scope even though it comes with QD rings.

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_065400154.jpg
      IMG_20210624_065400154.jpg
      92.7 KB · Views: 184
    • IMG_20210624_065317285.jpg
      IMG_20210624_065317285.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 170

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I use a Leopold EFR 4-9 on my best .22lr rifle. On other I run the gamete (cheap to less cheap to moderate, but the Leopold is my best scope on a .22LR.

FlokiBear

Oct 12, 2020
    I picked up a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 a couple years back when it was on Black Friday sale for I want to say $99... It lives on my Ruger Precision Rimfire and does a good job. Mainly use it for 50 yard IR5050 targets but works just as well for silhouette matches out to 100 meters just fine. I also got the whole rifle/scope a custom battle worn cerakote so it will stay there as long as I own the rifle.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Recently picked up an Athlon Neos 4-12×40 for a stainless Ruger American rimfire that I bought to give my 11yo daughter for Xmas this year.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    That BSA 4-14x44 FFP used to be an exclusive MidwayUSA scope in the beginning. Not only is it my favorite .22 scope its also the scope I put on my personal builds and aquisitions first for testing before I decide what to actually use on them. I did NOT however put it on my Interarms Whitworth Express in .375 H&H Magnum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom