• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The best place for person-to-person pistol transfer near Severn is the MD State Police Barracks right off of 176 and Aviation blvd. Why spend the money to do it elsewhere when all you'd have to pay going through the State Police barracks is the application fee?

Does it? Once the application has been done and approved, then the transfer itself can happen almost anywhere can't it? I've done it that way more than once. The first time I did it, I picked the pistol up at the seller's house, but we did the paperwork and application at the barracks in Bel Air.

Should have been clearer, not two trips to barracks, but two appointments with purchaser; one at the barracks and one for final handoff.

With FFL, they hold the gun and it's one trip for seller, presuming it goes through.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Had a very good time at Field Traders, really surprised by what they had in stock. And very good time talking to them, mostly Colby who was helping me. Almost added a Tisas 1911 to the purchase paperwork, really a nice looking and feeling pistol.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Should have been clearer, not two trips to barracks, but two appointments with purchaser; one at the barracks and one for final handoff.

With FFL, they hold the gun and it's one trip for seller, presuming it goes through.
    Gotcha - I did one like that at The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick - I paid the seller that day and that was the last time I saw him.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton

the buyer can meet up with the seller close to them SO whats the big deal??.. barracks is only the first trip..

isn't bad enough MD is charging us for our 2nd Amendment Right.. Rights should be FREE...

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    the buyer can meet up with the seller close to them SO whats the big deal??.. barracks is only the first trip..

isn't bad enough MD is charging us for our 2nd Amendment Right.. Rights should be FREE...

I work more than 60 hours a week and am either working or traveling every weekend. Trying to coordinate even one meeting is challenging.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The barracks weren’t doing transfers during the covid shutdown but I believe they are back up and running. If the seller leaves the firearm at the ffl then legally the ffl must enter it in his deposition book. Then it would need to become a dealer sale. No big deal but most ffls will charge more. The buyer has to free up two trips no matter how it’s done but the seller can drop to one doing the drop off at ffl.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Norton said .

The potential reason to prefer FFL transfer is the timing flexibility .

If buyer and seller both are M-F 9-5 types , or both retired , no big deal . If at least one party works long hours , shift work , etc , meeting in person at the same time can be a pain.

With FFL Transfer , seller can drop off any time during LGS business hours , and buyer can do their thing anytime during business hours .

Costs a little more , but less than losing earnings or burning a day of leave time . Just factor the extra $35 to $50 into your mental calculus of evaluating a potential deal .

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    What Norton said .

The potential reason to prefer FFL transfer is the timing flexibility .

If buyer and seller both are M-F 9-5 types , or both retired , no big deal . If at least one party works long hours , shift work , etc , meeting in person at the same time can be a pain.

With FFL Transfer , seller can drop off any time during LGS business hours , and buyer can do their thing anytime during business hours .

Costs a little more , but less than losing earnings or burning a day of leave time . Just factor the extra $35 to $50 into your mental calculus of evaluating a potential deal .

This all day long. I was willing to pay a bit extra for the flexibility as well as checking out a new shop. Now i know that this is a shop i want to frequent.

group shooter

Nov 14, 2021
    Glen Burnie
    i have been dealing with Field Traders since they opened best prices for transfers and very good in store prices. the owner and his staff go out off their way to help you

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Looks like that's all they do anymore, xfers and maybe some training. Barely a shell of what they used to do. No IP posts in a long time either. No in stock firearms listed anymore on their site.

Wrong.

I was just there last week. Wall to wall full of guns and gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom