• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have the flex tone call (I think) and has F (Fawn), D (doe) and B buck. I have had zero effect with the buck call. Most look like it ain't worth fighting for when they here it, but the does look like "Who's that!". Now, the buck come running like its ladies night for the D when I give it some moan, like a plead. A maaaah from deep in my throat just right also does the trick.

Them youtube videos on buck calling are for hunting the buck that KNOWs, he is king of the woods. The rest of the bucks ignore it and think they will be getting the king to kick their arse, IMO.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I have the flex tone call (I think) and has F (Fawn), D (doe) and B buck. I have had zero effect with the buck call. Most look like it ain't worth fighting for when they here it, but the does look like "Who's that!". Now, the buck come running like its ladies night for the D when I give it some moan, like a plead. A maaaah from deep in my throat just right also does the trick.

Them youtube videos on buck calling are for hunting the buck that KNOWs, he is king of the woods. The rest of the bucks ignore it and think they will be getting the king to kick their arse, IMO.

A lot of them get big by not being that aggressive a-hole that charges. I've actually scared off bucks w an overly aggressive grunt call. Doe calls have always worked well for me though. Especially at convincing a group of does that its cool to come on over.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Makes me feel a bit better. I’ve yet to need to try calling on one in sight. That said, anyone have luck stopping a deer you bumped with a call? Now I am curious if it might get one that I bumped, but isn’t running hell for leather to hang up.

But Ecestu, you seem to be dropping them on the regular. Wether luck or not. Congrats

Snort wheeze while stomping the leaves if they have not winded you already has worked for me. If they smelled you, forget about it. If they are used to people though they will often just bed nearby and come back when they think the coast is clear.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I've never, Ever, had any luck using a call. The only one I still use is the Doe bleat can, only because I feel there's no way for me to F it up.
    Not saying it works , but it sounds wayyyy better than the Grunt calls, that I somehow make sound like a Duck call !!! :facepalm:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lol on everyone with the calls. Yeah, on my property I have does snort wheeze at me often. Usually because I’ll do something like to get the mail turn around and a few have crossed my drive way 60yds from me and I’ll stop and stand there watching them graze for awhile and then one notices me and gets pissed that I am either not moving, not making deer sounds or turning around and heading back the way I came.

Lots of stomping and snort wheezing.

I’ll try more doe bleats. My call can do buck grunts or doe bleats. I sometimes try a mix. A couple buck grunts with a couple doe bleats like it’s a buck chasing a doe in heat. Though I think my issue there is the rut is when that might work and I’ve tried it early muzzleloader. Usually I’ll try a couple grunts every 20-30 minutes for a couple of hours and then give it a break and try again around lunch and in the evening. Usually not within an hour of dawn or dusk.

Also just doe bleats, the same, 2-3, usually changing where I am facing with it both to direct the sound a bit more and make it sound a bit like a doe calling out for other missing deer.

Dunno honestly much of what I am doing (with calls) much beyond watching a few YouTube videos.

I am going to start a separate thread on some deer management questions.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thank You Sir. Yes he was one happy little feller. He loves to fish and hunt. He got two does last year with an adult size muzzleloader and a reduced charge though. He and his younger brother are very good with the AR15 also and using them next weekend. Its the youth hunt and they are hoping to see something . They have seen many on the trail cam there.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    During this phase of the rut,rattling has worked great for me.Blind rattling and bringing a buck I see come closer both have worked.During the same time,using a buck grunt call has never worked.The bucks will stop and look my way,but never come closer.Maybe I should be using a doe bleat instead.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Friend emailed me a picture of a buck from the 1st week of ML. DANG, perfect case of foundering due to over feeding with corn. Never understood the reason many hunter’s saturated an area with corn. Resulting in harm to the deer they are hunting.

Google “foundering in whitetail deer” check out the pictures of the hooves.

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    My other Grandson shot these two does tonight right before dark. He is a little guy but loves shooting and hunting. He likes to also shoot the AR15 platform rifle and got these two deer with it. He used 223 and was the youth hunt in Tennessee today. His older brother got one with the crossbow last weekend.

Attachments

• imageColtonYHdoes (54).jpg
      imageColtonYHdoes (54).jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 175

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    My other Grandson shot these two does tonight right before dark. He is a little guy but loves shooting and hunting. He likes to also shoot the AR15 platform rifle and got these two deer with it. He used 223 and was the youth hunt in Tennessee today. His older brother got one with the crossbow last weekend.
    Good work kid!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looks like I’ve got at least one nice 8-ptr moving through my woods near my creek at night. Just checking pictures on the one game camera (other one doesn’t have a screen/on camera image review). An hour past dusk. It’ll be interesting to see if the other camera picked him up.

Hopefully he will be heading through in daylight in a week and a half.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

Very cool! Congrats to the young man!

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Release got itchy on a 5 ptr. Not my best work as it exited right at live/guts but i recovered him before the fox took more than a test nibble from his ass. Blood trail was non existent but I could literally smell him once i walked past his bed.
    Td7xTzV.jpg

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    Grandson #2 got his outing in today with dad. He also got two does this morning with the AR15. It was the Youth deer hunt. They said that the freezers will be full now and no more deer.

Attachments

• imageLandon YHDeer (58).jpg
      imageLandon YHDeer (58).jpg
      110 KB · Views: 181
    • imageLandonYH2ndDeer (57).jpg
      imageLandonYH2ndDeer (57).jpg
      96.1 KB · Views: 188

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Here’s 3 of my 4 this year.