• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Massad Ayoob's Citizens Rules of Engagement (MAG20), this weekend, February 4-5, 2017 at the Springfield Holiday Inn Express. Cost $400.

From the provider, "This two-day, 20-hour immersion course in rules of engagement for armed law-abiding private citizens, emphasizing legal issues, tactical issues, and aftermath management. Topics will include interacting with suspects, witnesses, responding police officers…threat recognition and mind-set…management of social and psychological aftermath after having had to use lethal force in defense of self or others…and preparing beforehand for legal repercussions and minimizing exposure to them. Situations in the home, at the place of business, or “on the street” will all be covered."

If you are or plan to hold a MHP/CCW/CCL, and certainly if you are an instructor or a LEO... do yourself a favor and modify your schedule to get into this course.

I don't receive any compensation or remuneration for this recommendation, I just do it because everyone, with out exception, who takes it thanks me for recommending it.

You arm yourself with a firearm, but the other half of the equation is arming yourself with knowledge. This course has been likened to drinking knowledge through a fire hose.

If I wasn't committed to Second Amendment Advocacy activities on your behalf this Saturday, I would gladly pay half price to audit this course again. Its that worth it.

Registration Link
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=200347

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Having taken the MAG40 course (thank you KenPo), I can say run don't walk to Ayoob's training.

He's an arrogant little SOG. But he knows his sh1t cold and he can shoot like nobody you know.

The bonus is if you take it and pass, he will show up as an expert witness FOR YOU if you're involved in a shooting.

Worth every nickel. IMO.

FWIMBW, we had an attorney and a LEO that didn't pass MAG40. Attorney couldn't shoot so well and LEO didn't do so well on the written portion.

Pls note (online) the delta between MAG20 and MAG40.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    He is doing a mag40 class at Bridgeville rifle and pIstol club again this summer. This is the 4 day class If anyone is interest I'll get the dates.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I took his original class..."LFI 1"...in 1992, and it was a better understanding of the judicious use of deadly force in self defense than either police academy I graduated from....he knows what he is talking about.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Anxiously waiting for reviews from anyone who attended.
    I understand last nights class was intense, and went long, until 8pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    He is doing a mag40 class at Bridgeville rifle and pIstol club again this summer. This is the 4 day class If anyone is interest I'll get the dates.

I am interested

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. :(

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    The Massad Ayoob MAG-20 class that was recommended by CypherPunk was superb, and greatly exceeded my expectations. Given some articles/posts that I had read over the years, I expected some egocentrism and arrogance from him.
    I dunno whether the ego was never there, or whether Mas has maybe mellowed with the passage of years, but I saw none of that over the two loooong days. Massad was pleasant, polite, and quite self-effacing. He used self-deprecating humor through the class to make the students comfortable. He was patient, respectful, and tolerant with ALL of the students.
    He covered every aspect of self-defense use of deadly force that is outlined in his various books (In the Gravest Extreme, Stressfire, etc.) but he expands upon the various points in ways that I did not appreciate from my dog-eared copies of the books.
    He didn't sugar-coat the challenges associated with armed self-defense. Many times he apologized for ugly realities by saying "I'm not here to tell you how I want things to be, I am here to tell you how they really are." A number of his stores about how righteous and successful self-defensive uses of weapons by citizens and LEOs have gone sour due to relatively minor errors or oversights during the interrogation and/or trial phases.
    The class format was unique -- about 15 minutes of prefatory lecture/discussion, around 20 minutes of a videotaped presentation/scenarios (with footnoted comments/clarifications), followed by another 15 minutes of post-video lecture and Q&A. Although an unusual format, this method definitely worked. He explained that doing it this way ensures consistency and quality control of the courses.
    The class was two loooong days -- 10-11 hours with a working lunch each day. They did not seem long at the time however. Even though it was only 90 minutes from my home, I got a hotel room for Saturday night. I was darned glad that I did. By the end of the weekend, my hand was contorted into a claw from diligent note-taking.
    The venue was a nice hotel conference room with an average temperature of 72F. Half the time it was 102F and half the time it was 42F. Just kidding -- it was inconsistently temperate but it wasn't QUITE that bad.
    I won't spoil the surprise. But for those who have never been to an Ayoob class before he includes a very nice perk for his alumni -- just hope and pray that you never have to take him up on his offer. But if you do, you'll be glad that you had the option available.
    If he's bringing another class to the area this Summer -- hopefully one of his classes including the hot-range time -- then I'll be attending if at all possible and, like CypherPunk, I'll very strongly recommend it to others.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The Massad Ayoob MAG-20 class that was recommended by CypherPunk was superb, and greatly exceeded my expectations. Given some articles/posts that I had read over the years, I expected some egocentrism and arrogance from him.
    I dunno whether the ego was never there, or whether Mas has maybe mellowed with the passage of years, but I saw none of that over the two loooong days. Massad was pleasant, polite, and quite self-effacing. He used self-deprecating humor through the class to make the students comfortable. He was patient, respectful, and tolerant with ALL of the students.
    He covered every aspect of self-defense use of deadly force that is outlined in his various books (In the Gravest Extreme, Stressfire, etc.) but he expands upon the various points in ways that I did not appreciate from my dog-eared copies of the books.
    He didn't sugar-coat the challenges associated with armed self-defense. Many times he apologized for ugly realities by saying "I'm not here to tell you how I want things to be, I am here to tell you how they really are." A number of his stores about how righteous and successful self-defensive uses of weapons by citizens and LEOs have gone sour due to relatively minor errors or oversights during the interrogation and/or trial phases.
    The class format was unique -- about 15 minutes of prefatory lecture/discussion, around 20 minutes of a videotaped presentation/scenarios (with footnoted comments/clarifications), followed by another 15 minutes of post-video lecture and Q&A. Although an unusual format, this method definitely worked. He explained that doing it this way ensures consistency and quality control of the courses.
    The class was two loooong days -- 10-11 hours with a working lunch each day. They did not seem long at the time however. Even though it was only 90 minutes from my home, I got a hotel room for Saturday night. I was darned glad that I did. By the end of the weekend, my hand was contorted into a claw from diligent note-taking.
    The venue was a nice hotel conference room with an average temperature of 72F. Half the time it was 102F and half the time it was 42F. Just kidding -- it was inconsistently temperate but it wasn't QUITE that bad.
    I won't spoil the surprise. But for those who have never been to an Ayoob class before he includes a very nice perk for his alumni -- just hope and pray that you never have to take him up on his offer. But if you do, you'll be glad that you had the option available.
    If he's bringing another class to the area this Summer -- hopefully one of his classes including the hot-range time -- then I'll be attending if at all possible and, like CypherPunk, I'll very strongly recommend it to others.

Excellent AAR, thanks!

This teaching format is best for this kind of instruction.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

I appreciate your taking the time to post a review of your class experience.

While I strive to recommend outstanding opportunities to our community, this isn't about me.

Quality feedback is critical to identifying excellent training and preeminent instructors, both for me in making good recommendations, and for potential participants deciding to attend.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom