• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which are venomous and inhabit Maryland?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Seems to me that cotton mouths in MD are similar to loxosceles reclusa in WV/MD/VA. Lots of people swearing they've encountered them, but without a single photo or expert witness to confirm.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Sorry I didn't stick around to snap a selfie with it or call up a park ranger. They both had the head shape, white mouth/fangs, and dark diamond pattern. I'm very confidant they were not northern water snakes.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    As for the poll, copperheads and timber rattlers are in Maryland. I think Eastern Diamondback would have been a good distractor because they sound like they would be in Maryland. I've seen a lot of copperheads in Maryland and Virginia, but never a rattler.

That's the distractor I should have posted, good call.

You forgot to list some of the most poisonous snakes in Maryland.....politicians.

Yep. ;)

yes cottonmouths are in Maryland. I stumbled on to them on two separate occasions at the Gun Powder Park years back. Scared the crap out of me both times. .

Sorry I didn't stick around to snap a selfie with it or call up a park ranger. They both had the head shape, white mouth/fangs, and dark diamond pattern. I'm very confidant they were not northern water snakes.

I saw a snake flopping along the edge of a pond in central Maryland last year, didn't get a good enough look at it, but it's color and size made me first think it was a cottonmouth. I'm guessing it was a water snake through.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Oh they are definitely in NC, but there we call them water moccasins. I personally have never seen a coral snake there but was always taught as a kid the rhyme to differentiate between the coral and the king snake. Yellow before red or something like that.

Red touches black, friend to Jack

Red touches yellow, kill a fellow.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Maryland hog nosed snakes are endangered because they look like rattlers and shake their tail against leaves to simulate rattles. Wonder if the watershed could be ho e for some of these....?

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Walking down a trail and hearing that rattle start shaking is a crazy experience. The reptilian brain takes over right away.

I ran into this Timber rattler in Shannandoah VA but they are definitely in maryland too.

I asked my wife to get a stick so I could catch it but of course she refused and instead I decided to move along without bothering it. probably for the best.

I see a LOt of copperheads around my house but I am 1/4 mile from Patabsico River.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
      IMG_0088.jpg
      144.2 KB · Views: 599
    • IMG_0090.jpg
      IMG_0090.jpg
      124.4 KB · Views: 615

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Here's a MD Timber. Well close enough, my access road starts in MD but he happened to be a short distance on the PA side. I almost fell flat on my face by misstepping to keep from stepping on him.

P5070020.jpg

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Maryland hog nosed snakes are endangered because they look like rattlers and shake their tail against leaves to simulate rattles. Wonder if the watershed could be ho e for some of these....?

No idea if present but I have not personally seen a hog nosed snake there though big black snakes are not uncommon. Any regular trail users in the 'shed have likely seen Timbers, though, and almost all of my biking buddies have, sometimes with me along. Since '96, I have seen them crossing trails, sunning themselves, just going about their business and even once run over by a vehicle and dead lying in the middle of Fishing Creek Road. For some reason, I seem to encounter more Timber Rattlers in the Frederick Watershed and more Copperheads in Cunningham Falls(even though adjacent parks), though the CF Ranger Nature Center personnel have a nature spotting log there and can readily speak to their incidence of encounter.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    this is why I hike in late fall and winter, but used to do more hiking and biking when I was younger and probably not nearly aware as I should have been

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    Copperheads & timber rattlesnakes unquestionably.
    Cottonmouths haven't been documented north of the Dismal swamp & having followed herpetology closely for 40 yrs & with all due respect I have never heard of anyone suggest that Eastern Massasauga rattlesnakes were indigenous to MD. I'd be interested in info concerning that

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom