Any plumbers in Catonsville area willing to work for ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have a 1962-vintage townhouse with the original toilet in the basement. The bronze fill valve is pretty much shot, and the shutoff valve is not only original but is frozen solid.

At the very least want to replace the shutoff outside the toilet and the fill valve inside. Willing to look at a whole unit.

Would be nice if I could trade work for ammo, but willing to pay normally to get this done. Can also provide pics if that will help

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Have a 1962-vintage townhouse with the original toilet in the basement. The bronze fill valve is pretty much shot, and the shutoff valve is not only original but is frozen solid.

At the very least want to replace the shutoff outside the toilet and the fill valve inside. Willing to look at a whole unit.

Would be nice if I could trade work for ammo, but willing to pay normally to get this done. Can also provide pics if that will help

A new stop cock and a fluid master flush kit. I'm sure a MS member close by will make short work of it for you

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    A little bit of time with an adjustable wrench or two, channel locks and a bucket to catch the water and you can diy. If the shut off valve won't turn spray with pb blaster and try in a half hour. At worst shut the main off to your house and flush till line is empty. Then replace the shut off. Don't forget to tape the threads.

Okay, its a hard line from the shutoff valve to the toilet, so its rapidly getting out of my comfort zone.

I do have a whole-house shutoff, I want to convert the toilet's shutoff to quarter-turn.

Since I am here, do I want to keep the 1962 American Standard toilet, or go for something new and water-efficient? Given how little I use it, doesn't make much sense.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Okay, its a hard line from the shutoff valve to the toilet, so its rapidly getting out of my comfort zone.

I do have a whole-house shutoff, I want to convert the toilet's shutoff to quarter-turn.

Since I am here, do I want to keep the 1962 American Standard toilet, or go for something new and water-efficient? Given how little I use it, doesn't make much sense.

Hard line can be replaced with a user friendly flexible hose, just make sure that your main shut off holds before getting into that side of it. Otherwise a novice can rebuild a tank in 45 minutes taking their sweet time and with the aid of any number of YT videos. A pro could do it in 10, perhaps. Just go slow and stop if needed to confirm before proceeding.

Good luck!

Pics

Keep in mind if I screw this up, I have to shut off water the whole house. Thats why I am really really hesitant to do anything on my own

20210522_223351.jpg

20210522_223403.jpg

20210522_223411.jpg

Last edited:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Thanks for the recommendations, are both businesses friends of ours?

Also, I supposed I should ask for toilet recommendations in case my Mad Men-era unit has to go.

All Night is a small, family based company that is as honest as the day is long. Work is done right the first time around. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive but worth every penny to have it done right.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Bertfish: How did your experience go?

Ammo Jon: What work did you have done?

I'm leaning more towards an outright toilet replacement, now that they've had to be low-flow for decades, they probably don't suck anymore.

Had to reschedule. But Kirk has done work for me in the past as well as Ammo Jon. He is top notch

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Bertfish: How did your experience go?

Ammo Jon: What work did you have done?

I'm leaning more towards an outright toilet replacement, now that they've had to be low-flow for decades, they probably don't suck anymore.

He’s done work for me including hot water heater, etc. sister and ex mother in law.

I've reached out to Melissa and got on the schedule, Kurt will be out next week.

I was able to text them photos, and decided to rebuild the existing toilet and replace the guts along with the shutoff valve. I feel the quoted price fro this is reasonable. Given that particular toilet does not see a lot of use, a rebuild is fine.

Kurt and crew just left. They came in, took the old toilet apart (had to sawzall the nut with the line in) and replaced pretty much everything except the bowl and tank itself--even the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl.

Amazing to me was they cut off the line at the old shutoff valve and replaced it with a compression fitting rather than having to solder a new one on. Once assembled, Kurt and crew cleaned everything up and Kurt himself checked and adjusted the new fill valve three times to make sure it was filling to the right spot.

Now that I have had him over, I have other small jobs down the pipeline that I would like him to tackle. For the work performed the charges were reasonable.

Thank you for the recommendations to go with All Nite

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom