• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    The other thread about the riots in South Africa made me consider good ways to cache guns and ammo for when all law and order breaks down and you have to defend your family from the mobs. In S. Africa, they passed lots of laws disarming citizens, a trend that is picking up in the US with Bidet and Kameltoe in office. I don't plan to give up any of my guns or ammo, and thought about the practicalities of burying some guns and ammo in plastic containers in my back yard or other places. I know there's no plastic case that's watertight over a period of several years, but don't know if heat sealing in plastic is any better.

Does anyone have experience with keeping out water of guns you bury in the ground for several years? I've heard of people putting guns in the walls or ceilings of their houses, but I don't want to keep anything in the house if the Democrats come to confiscate my guns. I also don't own a boat, so no accidents.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    First rule of caching... don't talk about caching.

There are a multitude of resources on the interwebz about how to do this correctly. PVC seems to be the best option with internal corrosion protection (grease/cosmoline). If you store greased, make sure to include mineral spirits or something similar to de-grease.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    There’s an old saying “when you think it’s time to bury your guns, it’s really time to use them”.
    If .gov is going around confiscating firearms, what good is a couple buried in the ground? You won’t be able to use them without bringing the law down on you. No hunting, SD, or recreational use.
    If it becomes a Civil War 2.0 there will be plenty of guns and ammo, supplied by nefarious outsiders who want to pick up the pieces afterward. China, Russia, etc.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I seem to remember someone posting about this a few years ago, and he suggested using a pvc tube, sealed at both ends, with the firearm oiled up pretty heavily, in a vacuum bag. The interesting part was that he also suggested using a post hole digger to bury it vertically so it would have a much smaller signature for a magnetometer. Bury it pretty deep, and then after adding and compacting some dirt on top (maybe a foot or so), and then for camouflage placing some random metal junk that would be likely to be buried over it. Maybe an old metal lunchbox with a horse shoe and some other memorabilia and pictures of horses in it, something that a young kid might have buried. So if somebody was looking, they'd find something metal that would be logical and might not be inclined to dig deeper. Better yet would be some ashes.

Seems like a lot of work, but maybe a fun project if somebody had an undisclosed location that might be a refuge in a worst case scenario. :innocent0

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I've heard of people putting guns in the walls or ceilings of their houses

And it has also been heard of workers finding those lost/forgotten guns many years later, when the house is being cleared out for a new owner, renovation work is being done, or the house is being demolished.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You can learn a lot by reading Matt Bracken's "enemies foreign and domestic." Caching saved the day. I know its a novel but it freakishly parallels recent history.
    Two is one, and one is none.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Related article:
    https://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2021/07/for-rainy-day.html?m=1

In a couple of thread discussions over at Commander Zero's blog (which should be a regular 'net stop for anyone), the recourse to a cache has come up.

First of all, the obligatory caveat:

Caveat:

It's pronounced CASH. Not cashay.

Cash is what you carry in your wallet.

A cache is where you hide things to recover later.

Cachet is a perfume. We are not talking about burying perfume.

When you pronounce it wrong, you sound every bit as retarded as did Prez Dubbya every time he said "nukular weapons". Don't be a retard.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There’s an old saying “when you think it’s time to bury your guns, it’s really time to use them”.

Oh blah.

Not that mindless bit of dribble for the ten thousandth time.

If it's time to put money in the bank, it's time to spend it.

If it's time to save food for winter, it's time to eat it.

Do people actually think about the nonsense they repeat?

Sorry to be harsh, but that old internet swagger just annoys me.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Oh blah.

Not that mindless bit of dribble for the ten thousandth time.

If it's time to put money in the bank, it's time to spend it.

If it's time to save food for winter, it's time to eat it.

Do people actually think about the nonsense they repeat?

Sorry to be harsh, but that old internet swagger just annoys me.

What he said. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom