• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I was posting about a year ago in the Reloading section about how picky my wife's new Glock 42 seemed to be with reload charges. With 100gn FMJ, I finally settled on 3.3gn of HP-38 powder. On the top end of what my Hornady Reloading Handbook recommends, and in fact a bit more than what Hodgdon recommends. But anything less, and I've found that the G42 doesn't cycle reliably. I've finally been able to chronograph this load, and it's averaging 820 fps from the G42's 3.3" barrel.

Those are reloads.

As unobtanium as factory .380 ammo has been in the last year (where are you guys finding it?), I also tried some factory ammo in the G42. With just a couple magazines' worth, Hornady XTP 90gn hollow-points were 100% reliable, chronographing at 1,013 fps. And Fiocchi 95gn FMJ were also 100% reliable, at 878 fps. Unfortunately neither type seems to be available online these days; I'll have to scour the local stores.

Since I was particularly interested in defense ammo, what I was really disappointed with was Inceptor ARX 56gn copper-polymer matrix ammo (attached). It's functioned perfectly in my Bersa Thunder 380CC, with impressive velocity (1,192 fps). I figure expansion with a .380 hollow point is dicey in any case; and at this velocity with an ARX bullet it won't matter much.

In 9mm Luger, I've had great reliable results with the similar NovX ARX ammunition.

But putting one extended 8-round magazine of Inceptor through the G42, not a single round functioned properly. All FTEs. Muzzle velocity was great (1,182 fps). But that doesn't help when the gun doesn't function.

Anyone have similar experience with the G42 and Inceptor ARX ammo?

Otherwise, what available defense ammo is reliable in the G42?

Attachments

• 20210818_140149.jpg
      20210818_140149.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 389

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I wish you the best of luck. I sold my 42 in favor of a 43 because nothing I tried fed reliably. I tried a ton of different ammo. The only thing I could get to feed correctly was ball ammo and sometimes that wasn’t 100%. The 43 has been flawless.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Interesting. The G42 has, generally, a really good reputation. I guess as long as you're 100% confident in (and have thoroughly tested) the ammo you're using.

Also interesting that a relatively, how shall I put it, inexpensive .380 like the Bersa Thunder should be so much more reliable with various self-defense ammo types.

Too bad that defensive (other-than-ball) ammunition is such a problem in the G42. I'll keep looking, though the Hornady XTP seems good. Can't find it these days, and we're hoarding our last two 8-rd magazines' worth with the G42.

Parenthetically, I personally dislike striker-fire handguns. Just don't trust them, safety-wise; particularly if they don't have a trigger safety like the Glocks do (and like the P365 doesn't). I'm old-school, having started out with .45s in the Army (we never called them 1911s); and then having used various DA/SA handguns in DoD Agencies (M9, M11). I like DA/SA, have been intensively trained, and am pretty good with them.

I merely tolerate Glocks. :-)

My EDC gun is the now-discontinued 9x19 Sig-Sauer P290RS, with an 8-rd magazine +1. I'm doubtful of the defensive capability of a .380, and anything larger is just too uncomfortable to carry. Unfortunately it's a very long DA only, with every shot. But I prefer that to striker; and, again, I train with it a lot and can hit what I'm shooting at.

But my wife has arthritis in her fingers, and just can't handle a DA first pull -- even with a .380... and the recoil of a 9x19, even a full-size one, isn't comfortable for her. So we're kind of stuck...

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I was posting about a year ago in the Reloading section about how picky my wife's new Glock 42 seemed to be with reload charges. With 100gn FMJ, I finally settled on 3.3gn of HP-38 powder. On the top end of what my Hornady Reloading Handbook recommends, and in fact a bit more than what Hodgdon recommends. But anything less, and I've found that the G42 doesn't cycle reliably. I've finally been able to chronograph this load, and it's averaging 820 fps from the G42's 3.3" barrel.

Those are reloads.

As unobtanium as factory .380 ammo has been in the last year (where are you guys finding it?), I also tried some factory ammo in the G42. With just a couple magazines' worth, Hornady XTP 90gn hollow-points were 100% reliable, chronographing at 1,013 fps. And Fiocchi 95gn FMJ were also 100% reliable, at 878 fps. Unfortunately neither type seems to be available online these days; I'll have to scour the local stores.

Since I was particularly interested in defense ammo, what I was really disappointed with was Inceptor ARX 56gn copper-polymer matrix ammo (attached). It's functioned perfectly in my Bersa Thunder 380CC, with impressive velocity (1,192 fps). I figure expansion with a .380 hollow point is dicey in any case; and at this velocity with an ARX bullet it won't matter much.

In 9mm Luger, I've had great reliable results with the similar NovX ARX ammunition.

But putting one extended 8-round magazine of Inceptor through the G42, not a single round functioned properly. All FTEs. Muzzle velocity was great (1,182 fps). But that doesn't help when the gun doesn't function.

Anyone have similar experience with the G42 and Inceptor ARX ammo?

Otherwise, what available defense ammo is reliable in the G42?

I’ve found the Sig JHP .380 online from them directly, WWB 350 round value packs in store at Bass Pro but hit or miss, also saw some Hornady CD here and there. The defensive stuff is pricey and $1 or a little more a round, the FMJ’s I picked up for about 0.49/rd. Not a volume caliber for me but I shoot it to stay in practice as well.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The defensive stuff is pricey and $1 or a little more a round

Yup. Always been that way for hollow-points or other good defensive bullets.

I can reload FMJs all day long for practice with the G42 (I've still got SPPs, and they're slowly becoming more available -- but $$$).

The issue is availability (and reliability) of defensive .380.

I just ordered some hollow-point Hornady XTP 90gn bullets (projectiles) from Midway -- same projectiles that worked well in factory loads with this G42. I'll work up some loads and see how they work...

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Some of the light weight loads, barnes, did not cycle my 42. Hornady critical defense seemed reliable but i may not have shot more than 50; not much of a test. I came across a deal on golden saber 102 gr and bought a case at near range load cost so i shot a lot of these. They even make a PPK/S function reliably. I can’t recall a failure and the nose is very round. Remington replace these with their Black Belt bonded. Problem is finding, and paying for, enough to test reliability and have enuf left to load your gun.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Some of the light weight loads, barnes, did not cycle my 42.

Yeah, I've got some ammo with Barnes bullets too, but I don't think it's even worth trying in the G42. Mainly because even if it did work, I've only got a couple 20-rd boxes...

Hornady critical defense seemed reliable but i may not have shot more than 50; not much of a test.

So that's the same good result that I've had with Hornady (American Gunner) XTP. I think identical bullet and certainly bullet weight, except I think the Critical Defense have the polymer plug in the FTX nose. Wonder if the powder charge is the same...

Anyway, like I said, I've got a bunch of XTP projectiles, and I'll do some test loads with those.

golden saber 102 gr

Something else to keep in mind, if I ever find any.

Again, I'm just skeptical of the expansion capability of any .380 hollow point, at typical .380 velocities. (Except, now that I look at the chronograph data again, maybe the Hornady FTX. With just a few rounds, that averaged just over 1,000 fps; which is extremely fast for a .380... So that and the Critical Defense FTX may be the answer for now...)

Anyway, that's why I'm really surprised and disappointed with the Inceptor ARX with the fluted non-expanding composite bullet. With that screamin' muzzle velocity (1,082 fps) and energy (205 ft-lb), I would have thought they'd make the G42 function. But apparently the G42 doesn't like the way the energy curve is distributed, or something...

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Mark k. Agree on expansion question. LAPD requires FMJ in off duty .380s. I figure the 102 gr GS are at least the heaviest of the lot. But frankly, my 43 is only a wee bigger than the 42 with many more choices. If size of gun is critical, i would carry wife’s Body Guard or LCPII. Neither of which i like.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I picked up a 9x18 conversion barrel. It’s been a jam-o-matic did some polishing and waiting on my next range trip to test.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hornady critical defense seemed reliable

So that's the same good result that I've had with Hornady (American Gunner) XTP.

I actually found some Hornady Critical Defense at Bass Pro yesterday, and got five boxes. Like I said, same bullet (except for the polymer plug) as the Hornady American Gunner XTP that have worked fine in the G42. Hopefully same powder charge. I'll test the Critical Defense...

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Someone should make a 42 frame kit that accepts Ruger LCP max mags. That would sell out fast.

You mean, Glock should make a double-stack .380 like the Ruger LCP Max, right? Maybe... if the G42 wasn't so picky with ammo...

Anyway, I got some Strike Industries +2 magazine base extensions. Brings capacity up to 8+1, which is better than 6+1. And they make the gun fit the hand much better; and they look good too. They're 100% reliable up to now, with OEM springs.

I think they make larger extensions, but I can't vouch for their reliability. And they'd really start causing some printing issues...

Last edited:

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Here's an update, since I'm the OP.

I was looking for .380 defensive ammo (I know, oxymoron) that would work reliably in my wife's Glock 42. Inceptor ARX was certainly not it.

I haven't had a chance to try the Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX ammo yet.

But for hand-loading, I got some Hornady 90gr XTP bullets -- same bullets used in the Hornady American Gunner ammo that did work reliably, but that I can't find these days.

I worked up some loads with the XTP bullets. With 3.2 grains of HP-38 powder, they were pretty reliable -- out of 25 rounds, only one had a failure to feed.

But with 3.5 grains of powder, near the max load, they were 100 reliable -- 25 out of 25. So that confirms that the G42 likes hot loads.

So at least I've got what seems to be a reliable defensive hand load...

I still haven't had a chance to try the Hornady Critical Defense 90gn XTP ammunition. In any case that bullet works well with the G42; we'll see how Hornady's powder load is. But I've heard good things about that ammo for the G42...

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Buffalo Bore has some pretty stout .380 loads.

I hear ya. I've got a few boxes of Cor-Bon 90gn JHP and Underwood 90gn Extreme Penetrator on the shelf. Both are probably similar really-hot loads as the Buffalo Bore -- I'm pretty sure above SAAMI specs.

The reason those are going to continue just sitting on my shelf (well, maybe until SHTF) is that they pretty-much battered the slide to pieces on my Bersa Thunder 380CC (got the slide replaced under Bersa warranty). I realize the Bersa is probably not as over-engineered as the G42, but I'd prefer to stick with non-"+P" ammo (realizing there's no such thing for .380), and within recommended limits for hand-loads...

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I'm doubtful of the defensive capability of a .380,

I'm doubtful of anyone you shoot with a 380 within 10 yards is going to know the difference between inches of expansion compared to larger calibers.

In my humble opinion people get WAYYYY to wrapped around the wheel on this. You don't need to carry a .45, you don't need two extra mags on your belt, you don't need the latest and greatest reticle optic.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm doubtful of anyone you shoot with a 380 within 10 yards is going to know the difference between inches of expansion compared to larger calibers.

And I hear ya on that.

I think the biggest question may be whether a bullet will expand at all (reliably) or not, at typical .380 velocities -- less than 900 fps. I just don't know enough about that, but I understand the answer may be no. And if they don't expand, then they're no better than FMJ -- just over-penetrate right through the target.

That having been said, there ARE a lot of other considerations as to what gun and caliber to carry. For me, size, comfort, and concealability are important. (I carry a Sig-Sauer P290RS with Nov-X ammo.)

you don't need two extra mags on your belt

Well, I do carry one extra mag. My P290RS is loaded with 8+1, which would certainly be enough to settle most issues. But I figure the mag is the single most-likely point of failure, and I carry a spare 6-round mag comfortably.

you don't need the latest and greatest reticle optic.

I do agree on this. At seven yards, an optic won't do any good. Besides, my P290RS can't take an optic; neither can my holster.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    And if they don't expand, then they're no better than FMJ -- just over-penetrate right through the target.

I mean, Military and Law Enforcement worldwide seem to be killing people just fine with FMJs. Again, a point people often overthink. I don't care who you are, if I empty say my Bodyguard 380 (6+1) and say only make 2 out of 7 rounds as center mass hits; that is going to stop your attacker. Period. Just my $02.

I find myself grabbing my 380 more then anything else in my safe. Mainly because I can just slide it into a pocket or into a holster and it disappears. With a lot of my other stuff, I "feel it" on me, it can get annoying, it leads to me not wanting to carry or finding ways to shift my normal day to day movement, etc.

For how many years was a basic .38 revolver the weapon of choice in the US? Heck there are still even militaries and police that carry Bersa 380s. I think a 380 is more than enough to stop any type of situation a citizen is going to encounter.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Well, I do carry one extra mag. My P290RS is loaded with 8+1, which would certainly be enough to settle most issues. But I figure the mag is the single most-likely point of failure, and I carry a spare 6-round mag comfortably.

Fair enough.

I still laugh at the people who think they need to conceal carry a Glock 17 with spare mags.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Fair enough.

I still laugh at the people who think they need to conceal carry a Glock 17 with spare mags.

I can CCW my G17 in shorts and a t-shirt without printing. Not saying it’s the first choice but is possible with the right belt and holster combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom