• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    I've watched some youtube vids of Paintless Dent Repair guys heating and pulling some nasty dents. Has anyone tried this to pull the dimples out of 10 rnd magazines? A MAPS gas torch will get to 3730F which is higher then the melting point of steel. Probably need some welder's gloves.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Magazines are perishable items. If they aren't easily repairable(new springs, new followers), to me, they are trash.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've watched some youtube vids of Paintless Dent Repair guys heating and pulling some nasty dents. Has anyone tried this to pull the dimples out of 10 rnd magazines? A MAPS gas torch will get to 3730F which is higher then the melting point of steel. Probably need some welder's gloves.

What, exactly, are you trying to achieve?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Just drill the dimple out. You could probably hammer it out if you can get something inside to strike against, but the holes would really not matter at all.

You may still have to buy a full sized spring. Of course you would only do this outside of MD

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Just drill the dimple out. You could probably hammer it out if you can get something inside to strike against, but the holes would really not matter at all.

You may still have to buy a full sized spring. Of course you would only do this outside of MD

Drilling out the dimples would be another method however I am wondering if anyone has tried to push/pull the dimples using heat.

I think the springs are already full size springs, they sit in the bottom of the magazine similar to regular non MD magazines.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Drilling out the dimples would be another method however I am wondering if anyone has tried to push/pull the dimples using heat.

I think the springs are already full size springs, they sit in the bottom of the magazine similar to regular non MD magazines.
    Yea man. You need to hit it with MAP gas till it turns red, then you hit it with a mallet. You have to hit it hard enough that you know you made good contact, but not hard enough you made turn into a banana.

Afterwards, if you need to dispose off it, call this number, 410-653-4500 and give them your name and address. They will be over shortly to pick up the damaged mag for destruction.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    I see there is some Maryland law called § 4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited (b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

So it would possibly be illegal based on the definition of "manufacture". Nevermind

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Is it illegal? Having the space but not using it is like buying a house but living in the garage. Some magazines cost upwards of 40 dollars to replace with OEM.
    40 dollars each? Wait till you start dropping 60+ on a 10 round OEM pistol mag. Or dropping 80+ for a 5 round OEM rifle mag.

40 bucks isn't anything compared to what is it there. Open your eyes and expand your horizons in the firearms world and you'll see things a bit differently.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I see there is some Maryland law called § 4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited (b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

So it would possibly be illegal based on the definition of "manufacture". Nevermind

You cannot do it within the state. Go visit a friend in PA or VA and you can do it there

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom