Browning T-Bolt Composite Sporter - What Do You Guys Think?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I really don't need another 22LR, but, I really want one of these. Can even store a spare mag in the butt stock.

Attachments

• cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg
      cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg
      13.3 KB · Views: 233

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I don't think I've bought any of my guns because I NEEDED them specifically :innocent0

Can you afford it without (severely) jeopardizing anything else important in your life right now? That should make the decision pretty simple :shrug:

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    you need it

Never loose money on a Browning. I still have my original TBolt made 1965 I bought in 1972 used for $75. I shot at least 40,000 maybe 50 or 60,000 rounds through it. I've owned 10 TBolts, a couple new in the box and 3 of the new late models. I've owned at least 50 maybe closer to 100 22's. Still have the old Browning, taught the wife and all the kids how to shoot with it. They are accurate, good trigger and fun to shoot.
    Better buy it, you won't regret it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Or this one? 16.5" barrel with a removable brake. Would work with my can.
    I think with Browning, whenever there's an option, that a wood stock is appealing. They usually do a good job with both the stock finish and the bluing, and look more timeless as a result.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think with Browning, whenever there's an option, that a wood stock is appealing. They usually do a good job with both the stock finish and the bluing, and look more timeless as a result.

Bet that synthetic stock model has zero flex. But, I should be patient and find a wood stock model.

Pope414

I have a 68 T-Bolt & its a great little rifle... 2 things the older ones keep an eye on where the barrel and stock meet as the old stocks leech salt and can show signs of rust. Keep them wiped down and add a light coat of oil...#2 it came with only a 5 rd. mag.. try to get some of the aftermarket 10rd mags they are hard to find so if you see them buy them

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I REALLY like that composite stock version of the T-Bolt, but getting a composite stock Browning is kind of like getting a pick up truck made by Porche. The wood stocks are something Browning does very well (salt withstanding! :) )

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I suppose I could get the composite stock version and then replace with a Boyd's maple wood stock. The 16.5" barrel - hmm - I would prefer an 18" - IDK might be better balanced.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Why plastic ? Makes sense on something you drag through the swamp or a northern Wisconsin deer camp. For anything else, there is wood. That's the law.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Numrich has the 10 rounds

I have a 68 T-Bolt & its a great little rifle... 2 things the older ones keep an eye on where the barrel and stock meet as the old stocks leech salt and can show signs of rust. Keep them wiped down and add a light coat of oil...#2 it came with only a 5 rd. mag.. try to get some of the aftermarket 10rd mags they are hard to find so if you see them buy them

Numrich Arms has the 10 as well as the 5 round, fairly cheap. I think they had them made up by the original company that made them for browning.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I like that 16.5”…. Really nice! So nice I just ordered one.

Yeah, if you have a can, that’s the gun.

Why plastic ? Makes sense on something you drag through the swamp or a northern Wisconsin deer camp. For anything else, there is wood. That's the law.

I found the 16.5" walnut model and ordered it!! :D

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Actually - guns.com had the SKU and model number and price for the 16.5" but a picture of the Sporter in walnut. The Sporter is more money, so fine if they send me that. Even more interesting, today they marked the same rifle up $100.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here it is! I love it! This thing is built like a tank. The barrel is as heavy or heavier than most AR barrels. The muzzle brake on it looks like it came from a 22-250 rifle; it's kind of comical to see it on a 22LR. This rifle is a good one pound heavier than my 10/22. That being said, it is still comfortable to hold standing in an off-hand position. I put a 2-7X35 scope on it, but you could toss a 4-16X44 with an adjustable objective if you want a bench target shooter. 22LR does not really gain much velocity past 16.5" of barrel. Might be a different story for the magnum rimfires though.

Anyways, can't wait to shoot it I bet it is a tack driver.

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpg
      IMG_1552.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 60
    • IMG_1553.jpg
      IMG_1553.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members