• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Fresh from the oven. Coat of oil and exquisite. I can’t believe how this this stuff is. The pins were at .154. They so remain. Darn good match to the VLTOR MUR it will wear.

ETA: I oversprayed a spot on the mag well and noticed after curing. Blasted with aluminum oxide planning to go to bare metal. I quickly learned that at 90 PSI the best I would do is smooth it out. Light respray and back in the oven.

Best part, not one drop of coating wasted with an hours long pot life.

I picked up some burnt bronze as well to see if it would match my TiCN copper PVD 2011 barrel. I tried it on a spare barrel bushing and it is “this close.” I’m going to pick up a bottle of a lighter color to mix in and try again. I can’t get over how cool this stuff is.

Attachments

• C86A723B-E50E-4830-8D45-DB566621A7FD.jpg
      C86A723B-E50E-4830-8D45-DB566621A7FD.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 410

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I did a couple of lowers with it. It’s held up pretty well. Not as durable as Cerakote, but satisfactory AND you can re-do it in a morning if you feel the need.

I have a huge bottle.

Also, scary how much of the same stuff we do/have. Were you adopted?

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I did a couple of lowers with it. It’s held up pretty well. Not as durable as Cerakote, but satisfactory AND you can re-do it in a morning if you feel the need.

I have a huge bottle.

Also, scary how much of the same stuff we do/have. Were you adopted?

Not that I know of - but maybe I should start checking Court records, I am 9 years younger than my Irish twin older brothers!

I am loving this stuff. I’ve always been reticent to try cerakote, but this stuff was stupid easy and I can’t get over how well it held up to blasting

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not that I know of - but maybe I should start checking Court records, I am 9 years younger than my Irish twin older brothers!

I am loving this stuff. I’ve always been reticent to try cerakote, but this stuff was stupid easy and I can’t get over how well it held up to blasting

I have some Cerakote, bought a toaster oven specifically for it, lol. Still haven’t had the stones to try it. I’m going to coat my first 1911 build as a first Cerakote project. Gotta re-assemble the lathe to make room on my tiny ghetto workbench. Maybe tomorrow if my wife will accept that I’m “working in the basement “ without a lot of investigation.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I have some Cerakote, bought a toaster oven specifically for it, lol. Still haven’t had the stones to try it. I’m going to coat my first 1911 build as a first Cerakote project. Gotta re-assemble the lathe to make room on my tiny ghetto workbench. Maybe tomorrow if my wife will accept that I’m “working in the basement “ without a lot of investigation.

Speaking to me. That toaster oven in the background was just for this! (And I too gauge my options my the wife’s response to vague plans)

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    And the finished product (turns out flux core can pin and weld if you use some splatter shielding and exercise care). I know, carbon fiber with the brick-weight UBR is a contradiction - but I love the beard friendly stock!

DD and Magpul furniture, BA barrel, Surefire upfront, bootleg BCG, Seekins LPK, VLTOR MUR upper and A5 buffer, Super42 spring on a formerly “in the white” TM lower. Need to get the magnifier to mate with the xps3-2. I usually loathe anti-walk pins but I tossed a cassette trigger in for the time being.

Despite my measuring torque in Ugga- Duggar’s (and similar ungentle touch on install), the Moly Resin has nary a scratch. I’m loving this stuff.

(I don’t have great hair, but my beard ain’t bad, Doc)

Attachments

• A4A81DDC-CE07-4766-B5EA-4116025503B4.jpg
      A4A81DDC-CE07-4766-B5EA-4116025503B4.jpg
      128 KB · Views: 412

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    And the finished product (turns out flux core can pin and weld if you use some splatter shielding and exercise care). I know, carbon fiber with the brick-weight UBR is a contradiction - but I love the beard friendly stock!

DD and Magpul furniture, BA barrel, Surefire upfront, bootleg BCG, Seekins LPK, VLTOR MUR upper and A5 buffer, Super42 spring on a formerly “in the white” TM lower. Need to get the magnifier to mate with the xps3-2. I usually loathe anti-walk pins but I tossed a cassette trigger in for the time being.

Despite my measuring torque in Ugga- Duggar’s (and similar ungentle touch on install), the Moly Resin has nary a scratch. I’m loving this stuff.

(I don’t have great hair, but my beard ain’t bad, Doc)

Lol. Looks great! I think I’m gonna break out my Moly Resin and knock out a few.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm new to this. Air spray application? I love the look. :thumbsup:

[new cammo job in the offing...]

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Lol. Looks great! I think I’m gonna break out my Moly Resin and knock out a few.

Cheers! I have a few rattle cans I’m thinking of pulling a part and refinishing.

I'm new to this. Air spray application? I love the look. :thumbsup:

[new cammo job in the offing...]

Yep, Norrell’s even recommends sticking with a cheap Badger 350 (or similar). Thinking I might use the cricut to make some templates for something “fancy” - or maybe just some grid paper for marpat. A little goes a long way; even with wasting a good bit while figuring it out (and spilling a bit with clumsy hands) the upper took about 1.5 ounces total...

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    For anyone that likes burnt bronze (selector engraving was “factory”; flag and message of hate to Joe were electro engraved with cricut stencils)

Attachments

• BF2A3FB5-866D-44E1-951B-5B4FEDD285A6.jpg
      BF2A3FB5-866D-44E1-951B-5B4FEDD285A6.jpg
      100.7 KB · Views: 208

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For anyone that likes burnt bronze (selector engraving was “factory”; flag and message of hate to Joe were electro engraved with cricut stencils)

Those stencils look great!! I gotta play with my new stencil maker. Lol.

Great job coating it as well.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Hey OP - did you bake this using your home oven or use a dedicated one? I've recently started looking in to this for some finishing work I want to do

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Hey OP - did you bake this using your home oven or use a dedicated one? I've recently started looking in to this for some finishing work I want to do

Out of fear for the Mrs’ ire I picked up a cheap toaster oven for $40 and put it in the garage (since I was just looking to do smaller stuff; nothing bigger than a receiver).

But I will say, since you preheat the parts, most of the smell flashes off before the parts goes into the oven for baking. What smell is left doesn’t last very long at all....

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I'll have to do more research but this seems like a reasonable solution

Anyone know which of his colors is closest to Colt Grey?

See below. The SOCOM black was a perfect match color & sheen for my VLTOR upper, but I haven’t tried to match anything Colt yet.

Would you endorse the aluminum oxide for blasting?

That is what I used for surface prep (but I’ll caution that even aluminum oxide had a hard time trying to remove MolyResin after it was thermally cured based on my testing)

MOLY RESIN COLORS
    BLACK SOCOM COLT FLAT (Matte) – This color is specifically matched to the common black flat color used by Colt, Bushmaster, etc. for the AR-15A2 & M-16A2 and other USGI type firearms starting mid-1980s to current. This is the original flat color submitted for testing and evaluation to the U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM).
    BLACK SEMI-GLOSS – Black with just a slight gloss sheen. Also may be called Black Satin. Frequent color and sheen you may find on many imported AK type rifles, HK MP5, UZI, and also matches many commercial U.S. made hunting rifles and handguns.
    BLACK GLOSSY – Black with a glossy sheen that exceeds Black Semi-Gloss. Depending on metal preparation technique, the coating can be applied to look extremely glossy and shiny and match some high gloss application needs.
    GRAYISH-BLACK COLT FLAT – Color is specifically mixed to be the best match for Colt XM-16, M16-A1, AR-15 SP1 rifles from the 1960s through mid-1980s. This is the color and product commonly being used by manufacturers, refinishers and individuals for early Colt M-16 and AR-15 retro project rifles.
    GRAYISH-BLACK SEMI-GLOSS – Dark gray-black with a slight sheen. Also may be called Gray-Black Satin. This color is also closely matching the older Colt AR-15 (model SP1) and M16-A1 when a slight amount of gloss sheen is desired.
    GRAY FLAT – Gray Flat is one shade lighter than Gray-Black Flat. The older Colt AR-15 and M16 colors varied slightly from one production to another. Gray Flat is a slightly lighter variation. Gray Flat examples can also be seen in some WWI and WWII firearms.
    LIGHT GRAY FLAT – A lighter gray with no black tones. Sometimes called machinery gray. Close match to some colors used by various militaries on some heavy machine guns in WWI and WWII. Also seen on some on East European subguns. A good choice for making a lighter camo pattern.
    GRAYISH-GREEN FLAT –This is a close match to U.S. Military dark green ammo cans and is a darker version of the of the U.S. Military O.D. Green.
    O.D. GREEN – Olive Drab Green is the official color of U.S. uniforms from WWII through introduction of camouflage patterned BDU’s in the 1980’s.
    FOLIAGE GREEN – A greenish shade of gray found along with slate gray and sand colors in the U.S. Army’s new UCP (Universal Camouflage Pattern) on ACU uniforms. This color is sometimes also called Lichen or Agave Green, and Tango Down Foliage Green, etc.
    TAN FLAT (Flat Dark Earth) – The latest Tan color adopted by the U.S. Military for Middle Eastern desert colors. Spec 30118 color, Fed spec 595B. Common TAN color used by many AR-15/M16 manufacturers.
    BROWN FLAT – Basic U.S. Military brown color used for equipment and camo.
    COYOTE BROWN FLAT – This is a more recent color match used by numerous AR-15/M16 polymer stock and forearm manufactures. Just slightly darker than standard Tan Flat Dark Earth. Note: Manufacturers of polymer parts may unintentionally have slightly different shades of their intended color in each run of parts.
    MAGPUL TAN (FLAT DARK EARTH) – Matched to Magpul Tan ( Flat Dark Earth) stocks and forearms. Note: Manufacturers of polymer parts may unintentionally have slightly different shades of their intended color in each run of parts.
    MAGPUL STEALTH GRAY FLAT – Matched to Magpul Stealth Gray stocks and forearms. Note: Manufacturers of polymer parts may unintentionally have slightly different shades of their intended color in each run of parts.
    MAGPUL O.D. GREEN FLAT – Matched to Magpul O.D. Green stocks and forearms. Note: Manufacturers of polymer parts may unintentionally have slightly different shades of their intended color in each run of parts.
    RED, WHITE, BLUE U.S. FLAG Colors – These are flat medium shades of popular colors used for special Patriotic firearm projects or camo patterns. The red, white and blue are matched to U.S. flag colors. White requires a white base undercoat to the get the full best white color.
    YELLOW– A medium yellow flat color used for camo products or mixing for shading with other colors. Yellow require a white base undercoat to get the full best yellow color.
    PINK SEMI-GLOSS – True full pink color in semi-gloss satin sheen used for special projects. Perfect for creating gift ideas the female shooter. A good color comparison would be a match to the pink color of pepto bismol.
    STAINLESS STEEL SATIN – Close match to the appearance of glass beaded stainless steel. A pleasantly close match to stainless. Used primarily to make aluminum and regular steel parts mimic a stainless appearance.
    CLEAR COAT SATIN – Moly Resin without any pigment coloration. May be used over cured colored coating or directly on metal for special purpose use.
    BURNT BRONZE FLAT – This is a match to the unique burnt bronze metallic color being used in the firearms industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom