• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Grip isn't how firm your handshake is. It's not the Kung Fu one either.
    And it isn't both hands squeezing with different pressure on the grip.

I have never been able to explain it as well as Mike Glover does. I have taught people it is the inward pressure created on your palms/hands from your wrists torquing in when your arms extended.
    Anyway, watch this video and change/improve your grip, because this is how you do it.
    I think this is a pretty "advanced" method for someone who shoots regularly. I wouldn't try to go through all of this with someone new who is shooting for the first time. It's just too much for the novice to swallow, especially when they are dealing with recoil and all the other crap.

If you take nothing from this, at least take the support hand thumb trick pointing forward, as it parallels the barrel and it is your point shooting hint of the day.
    Mike is just so clear and concise when he explains things.
    I need things explained to me like a 3rd grader, and he fits the bill perfectly.

Make yourself better by watching this 20 some minutes.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Good info.

I feel like too much emphasis is spent training grip mechanics, and not enough on locking the wrists against rotation. Not just in this video, but nearly all training resources.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Good info.

I feel like too much emphasis is spent training grip mechanics, and not enough on locking the wrists against rotation. Not just in this video, but nearly all training resources.
    Exactly. The idea isn't to stop it entirely, because that's impossible. It's to control it in order to work in conjunction with it. The muzzle will flip, add you will reset your sight picture on it's way down.
    We need to determine the parameters.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    Exactly. The idea isn't to stop it entirely, because that's impossible. It's to control it in order to work in conjunction with it. The muzzle will flip, add you will reset your sight picture on it's way down.

Excellent videos for the new shooter and the old shooter too. That's the way I was taught back in the 70's @ fletc in Georgia (but with revolvers). I had really gotten lazy and not trained properly over the years. I started watching videos like that and practicing. I may not do tight groups anymore but I sure hit what I point.

Last edited:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    22:20 of the Fieldcraft video was exactly the problem I was having for quite some time.
    Recently I also randomly found someone commenting on a forum where they describe squeezing their support hand was loosening their strong hand grip. It was another problem I had and I think I finally figured out a way to fix that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom