• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Reading the reviews, I'm surprised by the number of counterfeit knives Amazon is selling.

Some of the Spyderco counterfeits out there are REALLY convincing. It's really quite amazing.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Demco triad is probably the closest thing to fixed blade strength, and resistance to inadvertent opening. The lock bar is huge, the spring is heavy, and there is a lot of lockup area, also puts your thumb on top of the lock bar to prevent it from coming up and unlocking if the spring breaks. Downside obviously is speed and ease in unlocking, you can unlock it with 1 hand, but it's tough, primarily intended for 2 hands. There is also a ton of friction when opening, so overall the knife opens and closes slower, no big deal with the "waveable" thumb plate on other models, but the lawman series have studs that need a good push to open the blade. The lock also requires a big piece of pivot area on the blade to be cut out for the lock pocket, so if the knife bends or breaks, it will probably happen right at the pivot, Cold steel makes the pivot area huge to strengthen it, but it wastes a large section of grip and blade around the pivot, no big deal on their 4"+ blades, but does make the handle fairly large for their small stuff, the American lawman and Tuff lite make use of this area as a forward choil, it's not as deep or secure on the mini lawman. Their AUS 8A steel is tough and takes a good edge, but doesn't hold it well, a lot of their newer knives have a CTS-XHP option, which is a huge improvement.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    My favorite 2.5" knife (Boker Blackwood Pipsqueak):

6860770599_c8f0b885b0_b.jpg

I had to send my first one back because the lock was loose. Boker replaced it within 2 weeks and I've been happy with the replacement. Blade profile is great, and keeps an edge really well.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I'm currently trying out the 'mini lawman' by Coldsteel; seems like a great little 2.5" knife. Sticky to open with tiny thumb stud.
    I just got mine today too. I like it, though the grippy quality of the handle is almost too much. I also measured it and it seems like it's more 2.75" rather than 2.5", so not sure if it's compliant for work.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    If you need a non locking knife for carry in places like Europe, and NYC my absolute favorite is the Spyderco UK Pen Knife. So capable and light weight.

Sorry for the Nutnfancy review. I'm not a fanboy of his but he does cover some items well and comprehensively.

EDIT: sorry I thought the knife was 2.5" and its actually 2.9". Still a great knife.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    I've been daily carrying the DPX HEAT... love it!

my only gripe is the tab on the pocket clip sticks out just a little too much. i snagged it on something once and it totally bent the clip out. had to remove it and bend it back in place with pliers

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Found this training to be interesting:

StrikingTorsos-11.jpeg

A guy who worked for me many years ago told me (privately) about a time he found himself attacked at 'a party' where he thought he was being bunched (from all directions), but realized later as he successfully escaped, that he was actually being stabbed. I've heard from several folks that know what they are talking about that this is very often the case, because of the huge adrenaline rush during a fight, and the thinness of a blade. He's lucky to be alive, stabbings are very serious.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My favorite 2.5" knife (Boker Blackwood Pipsqueak):

6860770599_c8f0b885b0_b.jpg

I had to send my first one back because the lock was loose. Boker replaced it within 2 weeks and I've been happy with the replacement. Blade profile is great, and keeps an edge really well.

That's a beautiful knife. I just looked one up to buy. At $200 I am going to have to pass. Boker is usually well priced, what's up with this model?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Let me see if I can find you a better deal...

Ok, I wasn't able to. Blade HQ is the most legitimate site I could find a price from and they were right at $200. The only good news was that I didn't find any of the big Chinese copycat sites selling knock offs of it.

Here was the best review I found:

Last edited:

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Cold Steel Mini Lawman at 2.5" or just a little longer but still under 3" - Mini Griptilian.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Let me see if I can find you a better deal...

Ok, I wasn't able to. Blade HQ is the most legitimate site I could find a price from and they were right at $200. The only good news was that I didn't find any of the big Chinese copycat sits selling knock offs of it.

Here was the best review I found:

Thank you sir

I am always wary of copycats. I do not buy knives on ebay because of that.

Maybe I'll save up and keep looking for a better sale on them.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom