• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    I had taken him an HK USP to do some trigger work on. He had it for 3 months, i called him and he said that he was waiting on parts and that i could come and pick it up and he would call me when the parts came in....

that was 2 years ago and havent heard from him yet

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    I've never personally met the man.
    I can attest to his work though. I own an absolutely beautiful custom 1962 Winchester 88 of his. I couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• IMG_3230.jpg
      IMG_3230.jpg
      59.7 KB · Views: 410

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Nice guy. I sold him a Marlin 39 a few years ago and I know he does very good work. Just too slow for me. I can understand with his medical issues.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Going to bump this thread. I just had work done by Mr. Stancill. Pretty good work.

I don't know what "slow" is, but he was finished in the quoted time. Having a month or two back log seems standard to any gunsmith who takes on enough work to keep going and provide the results.

TGH

Sep 2, 2021
    Any one ever use David Stancil of Badgersmith Gunworks for gunsmithing?
    Used Dave Stancill for some work on an AR buffer replacement & my Glock G40 slide for a broken screw for the red dot site. Work was fine but very pricey. Gave him 2 shotguns to service recently. Said he would call before working on a cheap 20 gauge shotgun. Never called and proceeded to spend many hours and even went so far as to fabricate metal for the gun. Gave me a huge bill and the 20 gauge was not operational and would not function. Told him I wasn’t comfortable having to pay for unauthorized work & repairs. He then said I could pay him what I thought was reasonable. Seeing as he was only supposed to disassemble and then call, to advise, I offered to pay him for 1.25 hours instead of the 3.25 he was charging, and the charges for the other shotgun. He then began texting me and making all kinds of statements about personal things I don’t care to know. Tried several times to schedule times to pick up, but he wasn’t available. Then demanded payment and quipped that when his other customers couldn’t pick up they paid before receiving guns. Tried to send someone from my office with payment but he refused to accept payment that was not in full, despite having said he would accept what I thought was fair in a text message. Then told me not to text and advised he was blocking my cell no. after business hours. Meanwhile, I’m thinking you’re the one who started with the harassing texts in the first place. Anyway, when I went to pay & pick up he refused to accept payment and said he wouldn’t return my shotguns without full payment. Filed suit against him today. I think there is something wrong with the guy. Very arrogant and self important. Would never use the guy again.

TGH

Sep 2, 2021
    Just got done in Court with Mr. Stancill. The Court ruled that he did, in fact, wrongfully detain my shotguns. He previously was ordered to return the shotguns at the preliminary Show Cause hearing. At today's Replevin trial, he made claim for his invoiced "services." The Court denied him any payment and took the position that his wrongful detainer of the shotguns caused damages which the Court considered an offsetting "wash" so he was, therefore, entitled to nothing. It was amazing to listen to him outright lie about what happened. So glad the Court saw it for what it was. I would never ever use this gunsmith for anything.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Just got done in Court with Mr. Stancill. The Court ruled that he did, in fact, wrongfully detain my shotguns. He previously was ordered to return the shotguns at the preliminary Show Cause hearing. At today's Replevin trial, he made claim for his invoiced "services." The Court denied him any payment and took the position that his wrongful detainer of the shotguns caused damages which the Court considered an offsetting "wash" so he was, therefore, entitled to nothing. It was amazing to listen to him outright lie about what happened. So glad the Court saw it for what it was. I would never ever use this gunsmith for anything.
    Damn! Congrats on the win. How long will it take to get your firearms back?

BlueMule

Jan 28, 2009
    I used David Stancill years ago to fix a locked-back slide on a 1911 and upgrade it's sights. Drop the gun off, pick out the sights from Brownell's, PAY HIM $150 IN ADVANCE FOR THE NEW SIGHTS since he's going to order them through his account. Month later I go to pick up my gun. Slide is fixed, sights aren't installed, I point this out, he apologizes for the oversight and tells me the cost for fixing the slide is now gratis. No big deal. Another month later I go to pick up the gun, sights are installed this time and he gives me a bill for $332 of labor time. Read the bill on the spot, he was charging me for the slide fix and had padded the sight removal/install times exorbitantly. I pointed out the slide fix had been included so he discounted the bill to 4.25 hrs of labor at $250 for swapping sights. Note on the bill said "F & R sights very tight, press out took 2hrs +". I paid, as it was either pay and get my gun back or don't pay and take him to court, as another member has found out.

An interesting behavior of Mr. Stancill that helped further tarnish my opinion of his services: First meeting with Mr. Stancill; no weapon upon his person. Second meeting with Mr. Stancill, to pick up my supposedly complete firearm that turned out he had not finished the work on; no weapon upon his person. Third meeting with Mr. Stancill, this time to pick up my complete firearm and pay the $332 bill; now Mr. Stancill is open carrying a S&W M&P pistol holstered on his hip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom