• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Update: It's on the MD list, and you can order it now. 2A Sales & Supply can get them for you if you ask nicely. :)

production_XR9S_3256.jpg

Advantages: longer barrel in a more compact package, lower recoil, US made...
    Disadvantages: expensive, ...

BobergXR9-SvsKahrPM9ComparisonChartMASTER3D-1.jpg

Looks like someone with small hands might be able to get a full grip on the handle as opposed to letting your pinkie curl under the magazine; maybe, check this out- http://www.bobergarms.com/photo/boberg-xr9s-petite-female-grip/next?context=latest

Last edited:

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    The exposed linkage rod extending from the back of the trigger gives me pause.
    It's looks as if it would be a little more comfy in the hand, but then again, no one is buying an utlra compact for its ergos.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The exposed linkage rod extending from the back of the trigger gives me pause.
    It's looks as if it would be a little more comfy in the hand, but then again, no one is buying an utlra compact for its ergos.

Good point and very true.

My question about size seems to be true:

Reply by Arne Boberg on September 11, 2011 at 6:15pm
    The height difference between an XR9-S and a proposed XR9-micro would be about .30". In theory, it would hide better due to the shorter grip. However, I currently have no problem hiding the XR9-S either in the front or back pockets, and the frontstrap is long enough where people with smaller hands (especially women) can get all fingers on the grip.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    They are very expensive because they are hand built and the mags have to be tuned to the gun. I've had my eye on these for a while and people who own them seem to love them.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Lot's of very interesting features with this gun. Here are just a couple: There is no magazine follower, they designed it that way so you can get an extra round in the magazine. Another thing, you load the rounds in backward. Check it out:

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Interesting. Lots of alternative concepts packed into this weapon.
    I wonder if there are any plans for a full sized version.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Interesting. Lots of alternative concepts packed into this weapon.
    I wonder if there are any plans for a full sized version.

They have thet L versions with the longer barrel
    582741_451350074920941_670885808_n.jpg

and they've begun testing out the .45 version....booya....
    1525169_597678010288146_326294949_n.jpg
    boberg.jpg
    boberg 45.jpg
    http://community.bobergarms.com/for...ivity&id=2312567:Topic:48460&page=51#comments

they're talking about releasing the .45 version chambered in .460 rowland for those interested in a factory chambered .460 handgun....that might sting a little.
    http://community.bobergarms.com/for...ivity&id=2312567:Topic:48460&page=47#comments
    Latest results from XR45-S gain-twist test barrel at 3.75" length:

Underwood 185 JHP +P: 1157 ft/sec; 549 FPE

Underwood 185 JHP .45 Super: 1311 ft/sec; 705 FPE

Underwood 185 JHP .460 Rowland: 1451 ft/sec, 864 FPE

Some notes:

The +P and .45 Super had a big "boom"; the .460 Rowland had kind of a sickening-sounding "jolt" with no boom at all. While this is a bench rig, my sense is that the recoil will be very sharp, even in the XR45-S, with the .460 Rowland, assuming the frame of the gun can tolerate this round. Underwood has the expected velocity stamped on the box. +P is rated for 1200 ft/sec; Super is rated for 1300 ft/sec, and .460 is rated for 1575 ft/sec. I'm assuming that Underwood tested this ammo in 5" barrels, since that is what seems to be most common out there (1911 pistols). I like the fact that the XR45-S barrel exceeded the rated velocity for .45 Super. Velocities will likely be less in the actual firearm due to some of the energy going into recoil. Also, the test barrel is clamped inside of an aluminum block. This probably makes the barrel wall stiffer and will let less gas pass by the bullet.

I think that some of these energies may represent the upper limit of what pocket pistols can (or should) do. But I've been wrong before.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Have been following this and its a very clever concept. Thanks for posting as I did not know they were starting to make it in .45. I guess its kinda like a Seecamp for quality and price.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Didn't know anyone else was interested in this innovative pistol.

I got an email from the designer, Arne Boberg; he related that they have a gun in with Maryland and I anticipate it will be on the roster before too long.

We shall see; I read their blog and have fingers crossed.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I got an email from the designer, Arne Boberg; he related that they have a gun in with Maryland and I anticipate it will be on the roster before too long.

U know we got similar tastes in cool things. The boberg is big loot, but seems to be something that makes sense. I like people attempting to push the firearms limits to advance guns. There are innovations in firearms that make the whole industry leap forward from time to time. Rifled barrels, revolvers, lever-actions, bolt-actions, gas-operated semi-autos, double-action revolvers, cartridge fed double-action revolvers, the 1911, the glock, DI rifles with plastics and aluminum....we've got lots of imitation going on now in the market, but we've been lacking some solid innovation for a little to take hold. I like companies like kel-tec and boberg that go ahead and come out with something new and off the wall.

In the case of the boberg, it's something that addresses one of the main issues with a handgun, how to make use of all that gun that sits overtop of your hand to shorten the gun. It's like the handgun equivalent to a bullpup and almost reminds me of the old soviet Korobov TKB-022. The .45 version is really appealing to me....especially if they're going to come out with one chambered from the factory in .460 rowland.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I have to say, I'd (maybe will) have a hard time choosing between the 9 and the 45! Same old debate but with newer technology! Somebody had to say it . . .

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    Great looking little gun! Now I just need to start saving my pennies in hopes that it gets added to the roster.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012

Arne is a good guy and all, but he posted back in summer of 2012 that he had filled out the paperwork and was submitting a gun to the board for approval. All I know is, two years later, the Boberg is still not on the roster and has not been reviewed at any gun board review meetings to date. Won't sell too many that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom