• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I like this pistol, any updates/reviews of this?

I haven't fired it in many months, mostly because if it ceases up I have to literally hit it with a hammer to fix it. When this happens it will likely have a live round in the chamber, so although it has never had an unintended discharge, it is potentially dangerous to clear and challenging to do while keeping it pointed down range. No fun hammering and clearing on a public range.

I have the recommended anti-cease grease, but I'm thinking even if I apply it perfectly, it came from the factory (assume ably perfectly lubed) and ceased realitively quickly; so I have no confidence it will be any better when I do it. However, that's not a fair assumption, I will only know through testing. At this point I'm still planning to continue testing and evaluating it will all sorts of rounds (of course all in proper caliber). I do anticipate and will document all issues. Obviously I'm brutally honest and detail oriented. If I'm able to get down the optimum parameters that this gun operates in, it still might be the ultimate handgun for its niche. Just gotta make sure I wear goggles for when it throws unspent gunpowder in my face and bring a hammer.

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Cool idea how it works, but must be a good reason no other manufacturer is interested.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I recently acquired a Rohrbaugh R9. Only run Gold Dot 124 JHP. I am thoroughly satisfied with it. Remington bought them out and the Remington RM380 is the equivalent, but not 9mm. If Remington comes out with a 9mm the same size, I will consider it. I fondled one and dry fired it at Chantilly yesterday....nice.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've got an R9, would prefer an R380 in retrospect. Recoil isn't painful, but muzzle climb makes a second shot all but impossible.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm planning to do some cold weather testing of the Boberg tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately, it appears Boberg has been purchased by a company in Texas. So we'll have to wait and see if the guns retain their near 'custom' quality.

Bond Arms, Inc. is excited to announce it has purchased the assets and product lines of Boberg Arms Corporation located in St. Paul, Minnesota.
    Boberg Arms is the pioneering developer of compact and concealable, full-power semi-auto handguns featuring a unique, patented rear-feed system.
    Bond Arms, of Granbury, Texas, is the industry leader manufacturing the smallest, most powerful and best built personal protection handguns.
    The Boberg-designed bullpup semi-auto pistol is a perfect fit in the Bond Arms product line of precision- engineered, quality-constructed compact personal firearms. This acquisition is effective immediately and includes a transition period that may temporarily affect the ability of current Boberg Arms owners to receive quick warranty service if needed.
    Boberg Arms will be relocating its manufacturing from St. Paul, MN to Granbury, TX over the next several months. It can be expected that in early January 2016, Bond Arms will begin servicing and supporting all current Boberg firearms. Also, during the first quarter of 2016 Bond Arms is expected to begin refining and building the next generation of these bullpup pistols under the Bond Arms name, on a limited basis at its Texas facility.
    Customers of both companies are encouraged to follow the transition process on their respective current Facebook pages, and post any questions you may have there as well. This is also where we will announce when pre-orders for these next- generation Bond Arms bullpup semi-auto pistols can be placed, so stay tuned! --

thanks for everything folks!
    ~md

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Minuteman

I'd love a chance to shoot the Boberg.

Tomorrow isn't good, we are already at max capacity; and our primary objective is to shoot another gun. I'm just bringing the Boberg for the novelty of it, and to try it in the cold weather.

There are now at least a couple guys that have them in Maryland, if you ever see me, or someone else with one, come on over.

My original intent was to shoot this one till it dropped. But now because it may have already run it's course, I'm going to stop shooting ammo that I have read or believe will fail, and only shoot ammo that I know works, or want to work. I'm sure it's good for tens of thousands of rounds; this gun is built like a tank and I've never owned such a precision firearm.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    No worries. Don't know why but the Boberg is on my short list and I've never even shot one.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Boberg and Rohrbaugh have always tempted me, but their only reason for existing is concealed carry, and they're so precision-machined that reliability under less than optimal conditions remains uncertain, which more or less defeats their purpose.

If they were closer to a $5-600 price point, I'd probably own one of each, and to hell with the issues. But . . .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Boberg and Rohrbaugh have always tempted me, but their only reason for existing is concealed carry, and they're so precision-machined that reliability under less than optimal conditions remains uncertain, which more or less defeats their purpose.

If they were closer to a $5-600 price point, I'd probably own one of each, and to hell with the issues. But . . .

Rohrbaugh sold to Remington who is now making a slightly modified version at full production prices. Except it's .380 only at the moment. So it's now achievable.

Boberg also sold, too soon to say what will happen with the design. I bought this gun knowing it would either be awesome, or a collectible. Might be both.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A little testing today in cold weather. At first with Wnichester flat nose 'clean' rounds exhibited brief failure to feed, extract and eject. However, with Winchester round nose white box, was flawless.

Will continue to test, but more on the side of what I know or hope works.

Thanks again to the guys from 2A Guns and Gear (YouTube), for looking over/shooting the Boberg and letting me shoot their gear. Esp. The belt fed 9mm Cool factor 9+.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    A little testing today in cold weather. At first with Wnichester flat nose 'clean' rounds exhibited brief failure to feed, extract and eject. However, with Winchester round nose white box, was flawless.

Will continue to test, but more on the side of what I know or hope works.

Thanks again to the guys from 2A Guns and Gear (YouTube), for looking over/shooting the Boberg and letting me shoot their gear. Esp. The belt fed 9mm Cool factor 9+.

Its a neat little gun to say the least. The video turned out great, so i'll vet it edited and put out in the next week or so.

Thanks for letting us shoot it today :thumbsup:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Its a neat little gun to say the least. The video turned out great, so i'll vet it edited and put out in the next week or so.

Thanks for letting us shoot it today :thumbsup:

Awesome video, a buddy sent it to me today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdXrbsIBByc&feature=em-subs_digest

I'm glad it performed pretty well during this round of testing, and I'm glad you guys were not put off when I described all the things that 'could' have gone wrong.

Since the company that makes this gun has now been sold (much sooner than I thought possible), I'm no longer shooting bullets through it that I know or have been found by others to not work reliably with it. I think I should also purchase another barrel, just incase the new company decides to make some significant changes and parts become no longer available.

It wasn't mentioned in the video, but while shooting a variety of ammo, we did have one failure to feed, one failure to eject, and twice I somehow managed to release the magazine during the recoil of firing. I was wearing gloves and squeezing it very tight, so I think the combination of trying to get three fingers around it, and thereby pushing down on the front lip of the magazine, under recoil made that happen. But all in all, the less expensive Winchester white box, worked flawlessly.

I would like to shoot at least 100 rounds of any given carry ammo and have it perform flawlessly before I would actually consider carrying this gun for selfdefense. That's what it is designed for, and there are a lot of bullets that are documented to perform perfectly with this gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom