• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    Atomic Ammunition lists a number 448 loading that is a 185 gr semi-wadcutter.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    ID ammo

I checked Atomic Ammunition and didn't locate a 00448 that matched. I double checked and the bullet is .448. The weight is 185 grns. Flat nose, concave bottom, copper clad. I figured out how post a photo, thanks guys. Never to old to learn. (Outrider is nicknamed Einstein???? LOL)

Attachments

• IMG_20201029_141921931 (2).jpg
      IMG_20201029_141921931 (2).jpg
      35.4 KB · Views: 144

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They look a lot like plated bullets to me like Uncle Duke said. Similar to what Berry's makes in 185 gr .452 for 45 acp. Sized down maybe for some other application?

https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/bp-45-452-185gr-fp

Definitely. But the size is for a completely different bullet. I think somebody sized them using the wrong sizer. There's no way anybody was sizing them for a Gibbs...
    Not intentionally.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    I checked my measuring tool and it is okay. I believe these came to me with some .45 ACP heads from a maker years ago. I realized they were wrong and set them aside. I thiink they made have been a manufacting error and someone threw them in with my order. I will hold them for a while just on the chance someone identifies them, but then they will be discarded so no one make a mistake and tries to use them.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Definitely. But the size is for a completely different bullet. I think somebody sized them using the wrong sizer. There's no way anybody was sizing them for a Gibbs...
    Not intentionally.

Agreed.

But If they were originally .452/185's you would expect to see some evidence on the bullet body that they had been run through a sizing die. That's hard to tell from the pic. If they had been resized that could explain the "concave" in the base Spur mentioned.

If they are truly .448 their intended use is a mystery to me...

BTW, Spur, thanks for figuring out how to post a pic. :thumbsup:

:)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Agreed.

But If they were originally .452/185's you would expect to see some evidence on the bullet body that they had been run through a sizing die. That's hard to tell from the pic. If they had been resized that could explain the "concave" in the base Spur mentioned.

If they are truly .448 their intended use is a mystery to me...

BTW, Spur, thanks for figuring out how to post a pic. :thumbsup:

:)

Yeah, well...I'm seeing a lot of jacket damage, almost to the extent of being fired. Poor pic.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yeah, well...I'm seeing a lot of jacket damage, almost to the extent of being fired. Poor pic.

Yep, but not like they'd actually been loaded and fired. If they had been run through a sizing die I'd expect to see striations on the coating from the die. Tough to tell from the pic.

As Spur says in his response they could be "seconds" he stashed...

I checked my measuring tool and it is okay. I believe these came to me with some .45 ACP heads from a maker years ago. I realized they were wrong and set them aside. I thiink they made have been a manufacting error and someone threw them in with my order. I will hold them for a while just on the chance someone identifies them, but then they will be discarded so no one make a mistake and tries to use them.

Hey Spur, don't just toss them though. The lead in them is pretty soft and there are folks who reclaim it for casting other boolits...

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom