• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    We got a call last night just after dinner from the lady who lives directly across the road from us and asked if we could come over , l didn't even ask why she's 87 and lives there alone and has been a joy of a neighbor ever since we bought our place , Her husband passed on about 7 years ago and since then I've been cutting her grass and pasture with his John Deere tractor and I get to cut ours too . She's taught us a lot about growing our garden and how to Can it too.
    We walked over it's a good after dinner walk , When we got there she was on the front porch and had a beer for each of us . There was a Mercedes Benz in yard and I assumed it was her daughter's it was and she came out to join us , She lives a few hours away in Nashville and is a Lawyer that handles things in the music industry and a single mom to a great little boy . So Ruth got right to the point and said she's moving in with her daughter , Something her daughter has been after her to do for some time. My GF started to cry she and Ruth had gotten to be very close .

Than she said I'd like you to have the John Deere tractor since you've been taking care of it and for the things you do around here and anything in the barn you can use too , I was blown away .

I asked if she was selling the property she said sort of my daughter is buying out her brother and sister part of it and keeping it as a second home for weekends and holidays than when she's ready to get out of Nashville move in full time , She's the only one of the kids that loves this place the other two are out in California and don't want to have anything to do with this place.
    So we'll be around weekends .

She asked if she knew were we could get a gate for the driveway and have it installed , I said I can install it we just have to go to Tractor Supply and get one . She asked if I would keep a eye on the place too , No problem I told her . She wants to open a account at the bank for me so if I need to get anything for the place I can . Her daughter gave me a letter giving me and any of my guests exclusive hunting rights to all 856 acres . But I have to share some of the venison , They will be back for Christmas and I'll go over and turn the heat on and the water pump when they call me to say they are on their way . It's going to a little lonely out here with her gone .

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Too bad about her moving away, but it sounds like the whole family is lucky to have you.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    We got a call last night just after dinner from the lady who lives directly across the road from us and asked if we could come over , l didn't even ask why she's 87 and lives there alone and has been a joy of a neighbor ever since we bought our place , Her husband passed on about 7 years ago and since then I've been cutting her grass and pasture with his John Deere tractor and I get to cut ours too . She's taught us a lot about growing our garden and how to Can it too.
    We walked over it's a good after dinner walk , When we got there she was on the front porch and had a beer for each of us . There was a Mercedes Benz in yard and I assumed it was her daughter's it was and she came out to join us , She lives a few hours away in Nashville and is a Lawyer that handles things in the music industry and a single mom to a great little boy . So Ruth got right to the point and said she's moving in with her daughter , Something her daughter has been after her to do for some time. My GF started to cry she and Ruth had gotten to be very close .

Than she said I'd like you to have the John Deere tractor since you've been taking care of it and for the things you do around here and anything in the barn you can use too , I was blown away .

I asked if she was selling the property she said sort of my daughter is buying out her brother and sister part of it and keeping it as a second home for weekends and holidays than when she's ready to get out of Nashville move in full time , She's the only one of the kids that loves this place the other two are out in California and don't want to have anything to do with this place.
    So we'll be around weekends .

She asked if she knew were we could get a gate for the driveway and have it installed , I said I can install it we just have to go to Tractor Supply and get one . She asked if I would keep a eye on the place too , No problem I told her . She wants to open a account at the bank for me so if I need to get anything for the place I can . Her daughter gave me a letter giving me and any of my guests exclusive hunting rights to all 856 acres . But I have to share some of the venison , They will be back for Christmas and I'll go over and turn the heat on and the water pump when they call me to say they are on their way . It's going to a little lonely out here with her gone .

Sounds to me like you "set the conditions" for Good Karma to come your way--well done sir and thanks for being "human" to a neighbor--

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    No pics of John Deere?

Whatever floats your boat.

Deere_John_1_large_736b833fd6e019bd2f0055f8cd60d413b0062f91.jpg

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    That story is so cool , it warms my heart knowing some still understand what life is really about . Good for you & your wife for being the good neighbor as well . Congrats

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    One good turn deserves another.

BTW Is the daughter hot?

She's not hard on the eyes , But a very hard type A+ personally and I think could cut your guts out with a spoon if needed . My GF said she is a badass in court from what her Mom told her and took her cheating ex husband to the cleaners .

Thanks to all for the kind comments but what I did for her was because my parents taught me to treat good people with care and respect particularly your neighbors , I will miss her being across the road and all her help over the years . Were going to loose a few pounds after she leaves because as she put it "I never learned to cook for one" she would bring food over or have us come over to eat and it was always good .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Watching out for neighbors and treating people with respect and compassion.
    They sound like very nice people.

Good on you Sir, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Outstanding, You were a good neighbor, reminiscent of the old America. If more people behaved this way the country would be so much better off.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    It sucks your neighbor is leaving. She sounds like a hell of a lady.

But, it also sounds like you also inherited more than a tractor.

It's nice to hear a good story, for a change.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    What a great story. It made my day. As the others have said, you were a good neighbor to an elderly lady and she clearly appreciated your goodwill and wanted to reciprocate in the only way she knew how to. Both of you are lucky to have each other.

Cal68

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Fantastic story but you're a big part of it. You treated her nice and she reciprocated. :thumbsup: Who says there ain't a God?

Where are you in eastern Tn.... we're probably kinda close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom