If a 150 Gr 30 cal FMJ Bullet is traveling at 3,000 FPS......

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    hits a solid steel or rock object and bounces back 180 degrees toward the shooter... what would it's velocity be without any variables?

Any physics geeks out there that might compute?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    hits a solid steel or rock object and bounces back 180 degrees toward the shooter... what would it's velocity be without any variables?

Considering 35% of velocity is lost at approximately a 10- 30 degree angle for a ricochet I estimate somewhere around nearly zero to 20 fps which would be determined by the opposite force created by the fixed object imparted onto the the remaining weight of the moving projie.

Sorry, I cannot perform the math but I know a wildlife consultant that does.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Considering 35% of velocity is lost at approximately a 10- 30 degree angle for a ricochet I estimate somewhere around nearly zero to 20 fps which would be determined by the opposite force created by the fixed object imparted onto the the remaining weight of the moving projie.

Sorry, I cannot perform the math but I know a wildlife consultant that does.

I shoot most every day, mostly 22 but still a fair amount of 30 and 44 cal. The rock base that I often hit is maybe 75 yards, the only bullet I have found on my deck was a 44 Mag all lead bullet. Seriously bent but didn't even realize at the time it came back home. So in order to travel that distance it still had some velocity but most obviously bled off.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

It will not bounce back 180 degrees....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Beg to differ, the one out of 1,000 did.... well within 10 feet of my shooting spot.

It likely arced through the air, losing most of its velocity. It did not hit and return to you on the same trajectory.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    No idea but this is what a 150gr btsp 30 cal launched at 3450fps does to 5/8" ar500 @ 200yds

Attachments

• 20201028_091518.jpg
      20201028_091518.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 629

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I shoot most every day, mostly 22 but still a fair amount of 30 and 44 cal. The rock base that I often hit is maybe 75 yards, the only bullet I have found on my deck was a 44 Mag all lead bullet. Seriously bent but didn't even realize at the time it came back home. So in order to travel that distance it still had some velocity but most obviously bled off.

I would make sense that a larger bullet found its way backward, something small like a 22 it seems to me would not have enough energy to reverse its course and be able to travel that sort of distance.
    A jacketed bullet could also somehow manage to not become completely destroyed or mis-shapen on its new journey rearwards.

Or, possibly could have just stuck to your shoe and been returned to the deck after you pasted targets.

I would wear safety glasses so you don't get hit in the eye or dump a pile of sand.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    I'm no rocket scientists, but you should not be shooting at any solid surface. You run a very high risk of hurting yourself or others. I would advise you to stop this activity your playing a very dangerous game. Go to Home Depot or lowes and pick up some sand bags, ten or twenty should work and set up your targets on the bags make it three deep, this will greatly reduce the risk of the rounds coming back at you. Hope this helps.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I would make sense that a larger bullet found its way backward, something small like a 22 it seems to me would not have enough energy to reverse its course and be able to travel that sort of distance.
    A jacketed bullet could also somehow manage to not become completely destroyed or mis-shapen on its new journey rearwards.

Or, possibly could have just stuck to your shoe and been returned to the deck after you pasted targets.

I would wear safety glasses so you don't get hit in the eye or dump a pile of sand.

Glasses are a must.............. gotta see the target. :) Stuck to shoe highly doubtful, I mostly wear flip flops.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I'm no rocket scientists, but you should not be shooting at any solid surface. You run a very high risk of hurting yourself or others. I would advise you to stop this activity your playing a very dangerous game. Go to Home Depot or lowes and pick up some sand bags, ten or twenty should work and set up your targets on the bags make it three deep, this will greatly reduce the risk of the rounds coming back at you. Hope this helps.

Probably good advice and if I were 40 or 50 years younger and had youthful knees and back I'd probably do that. Most of the lead hits 30 inch diameter trees but there are some............

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Interesting, but what bullet and velocity is he using?

The stone face I sometimes hit is solid blue granite (typical here) and no bullet fragments to be found BUT after getting smacked many many times a solid 10' block has some cracks in it!

I don't know I seen that clip some time time ago and thought it was interesting.
    Some German guys with a real nice camera and a penchant for detail.

The reason I stumbled across the video was for high speed photography not so much as bullet spalling, vaporization.

It was a few months ago consequently that someone was asking me about a 180 ricochet when they were shooting a pistol into some of those steel targets.
    Ironically one of them was the wildlife consultant who I mentioned who could do the math! HAHA GO figure!

Couldn't believe it when he told me about it.
    Ill have to ask him about it when I see him again to get the full skinny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom