• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Alright MDS, why do I need a suppressor for a 5.56 home defense rifle?

Convince me.

I have read every online article about the subject. Most boil down to "Because they are amazeballs and you can stick it to the ATF by paying them to approve you to have one!"

I value the real world opinions of MDS over the opinions of bloggers who desperately need content for their websites.

What does a suppressor add to my life?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Alright MDS, why do I need a suppressor for a 5.56 home defense rifle?

Convince me.

I have read every online article about the subject. Most boil down to "Because they are amazeballs and you can stick it to the ATF by paying them to approve you to have one!"

I value the real world opinions of MDS over the opinions of bloggers who desperately need content for their websites.

What does a suppressor add to my life?

Nothing. I am in the opinion that you don't need light, laser, or scope. Just use iron sight like a man. :D

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Because if you ever have to shoot indoors, you will then want to be able to hear.

Sent from my iBunker using Tapatalk Pro

How did the soldiers clear houses in ww2 when they crossed the Rhine?

Brikhaus

Jun 7, 2013
    Western Marylandistan
    How did the soldiers clear houses in ww2 when they crossed the Rhine?

With a generous application of .30-06! Of course the tinnitus that they developed from said house clearing just allowed them to claim that they did not hear their wives requests to take their feet off of the coffee table in their later years.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I run a Saker 556 on my 10.3 inch AR which is a dedicated HD gun.

AR's in general, but especially short barreled AR's are insanely loud to the point where they may incapacitate the shooter if shooting from a tight space like a hallway or inside a room.

A good suppressor will bring the total volume of the 5.56 to just at or under 140 decibels, which is considered the boundary of what is "hearing safe". It is still loud, but sounds more like an unsuppressed 22lr. It's certainly manageable. A can also hides the flash better than any flash hider, so follow up shots are easier and your vision is less impaired.

Does volume matter in life or death? One could argue that it doesn't... but if you have the means and the right to purchase one, why not?

I only wish the Silencerco Omega 36M was out when I got mine. All things being equal a true 5.56 suppressor will do a better job, but there are many great 30 cal options that would work just fine but also provide you with a lot more flexibility with other calibers.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    With a generous application of .30-06! Of course the tinnitus that they developed from said house clearing just allowed them to claim that they did not hear their wives requests to take their feet off of the coffee table in their later years.

:lol:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Everything I have read says you will, and nothing I have read or heard debunks this, that you will suffer some amount of permanent, irreparable hearing damage if you touch off a 5.56 in an interior space without hearing protection. It's not a question of if, it's a question of how much damage.

I'd get the suppressor and the stamp.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Because if you shoot a 5.56 inside an enclosed area without one, you will probably rupture one or both eardrums. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom